Vase

Add your poems, essays and short stories here. Please do not post work by other writers.

Moderator: EC

greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Vase

Post by greatJim »

One day,when I tried to write something about my classmate,Lao-chai,who was a friend when I studied as to get a master's degree three years ago in Beijing,I thought of many things happened in those days...

Although one's life,as to be a creature,is ordinary and coocidental,there still seems has something like fate existed..

When I came back to my home,one years ago,I was sitting on a plane.My seat was near the window.A young girl ,really pretty,who was wearing a pair of glasses,was reading a book..I asked her what book she was reading...She smiled and show the book to me...It was <Norweigen's Forest>,writtern by a famous Japanese writer...

"A miserabal story.."I said.

"Uncle,have you ever read ?"She was curious and surprised.

"Yes..Do you like that?"I said.

"I don't know."She looked really beautiful when smiling a little..

"Have you ever played the switchback(big dipper) before?"She asked me ,with eyes open and close..how cute and naughty...

I shaked my head..And she said,"very exciting,sometimes up and suddenly down."She acted it for me by moving her body.

"yes."I could imagine...It was sunny ouside the plane's window.The white cloud and blue sky looked so clean..I would soon be back home,and my wife was waiting .......
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Nice, GJ. Does it continue?
greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by greatJim »

Dixie wrote:Nice, GJ. Does it continue?
Dixie,last weekend I had a cup of drink.It is a wine made in Spain..I baught it in a supermarket.

--
I hope the post here could lead to a new story..anyway.
greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by greatJim »

I was in an office now...on the screen of my computer ,there was a MSN.everyday I opened it when i opened the computer...

In the list of Msn,there was a name of a girl,whose name was Jennyzhu..She was now in Hungarian..I recognized her when I was young...Before I left Beijing ,we still met sometimes..

Jennyzhu married to a boss just several monthes ago..after i left Beijing..SHe wrote a message to me,and I heard somrthing about it...i Knew she was the lover of the foreign boss before...but now she at last made the decision...

The boss was a Finland man,maybe 20 years older than Jennyzhu..
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

keep going I like the tone...like soft music...soothing/soft. :)
shoreline

Post by shoreline »

in China, talking about women that using the word "vase", maybe you can imagine a vase, compare outside and inside of it, the meaning is self-evident. hope this story not continue to the end like that. :?
Don't think twice before you listen to your heart. I will think thrice!
greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by greatJim »

I always thought one problem,what was fortune,and misfortune...

for a simple person,sometimes it was absolute...

Since that,maybe if there exist one,when god laid some gifts to somebody at some special time..the others were looking for happiness blindly.........

Whatever,Jennyzhu was one friend of mine..In some persons' eyes.she sold her spirit to a rich man..I should delete her name on the Msn...when I talked with my friends,i should not tell the topic about her.....

But,i knew someday,she fell in love with a young guy ,and the guy was just one of my roommate.....

it was a summer..evening,she sat in our dormitary..only the guy and me were there.....The guy chated with her...the time passed quickly..I went out and bought a watermelon ..and took it back..
greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by greatJim »

Fangfang,did u still remember the day we met the first time?

yes,after we recognized for one year,we married.

at that time,I just split up with my ex-girl friend.and was in bad mood...

It was a party organized by a website for marriage.The date place was in an old town.

i tried to dissemble my feeling,looked like indifferent as if I was a playboy in the emotion..

We had lunch together,with the members of the web site together...

The town has small river and old stone bridges here and there...The scenary was outlandish ,contrary to the city life ...

YOu were just back from England,graduated from an economic school..
greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by greatJim »

Fang fang,you and I were sitting around the same table..

When we were eating foods..we introduced about ourselves to everyone..

I studied histroy when I was in the university.So they asked me what on earth this major was about..and did it really has any value for the reality?

I didn't know how to answer...
I was serving in the government at that time..my job was collecting some clues for the city's construction.

When I was asked,I thought for a while and said,"everybody has his own histroy.....like our city.."

The persons looked at me....expecting my next sentence.

but I didn't know how to continue at that moment.and i looked around the faces around the desk....

yes.Fangfang,at that time..You rolled the foods on the table.."Jim,.."

There was a dish of spiral shells .."yes,"I took one shell from the plate rolled before my seat.

"Like this shell.."I said,"It was a food only existed in south of china...But if I never tasted it before,when I was a child.I would not remember it so deeply in my memory..."

"And the histroy's meaning is the same too."I added.
greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by greatJim »

History became history when it wants,Fangfang and I got married after we recognized with each other for several months.

I ended my single life and had a warm home.

Sometimes I asked Fangfang ,how she thought of the local culture after several years' life in England.

She said when she was in overseas,she missed the CHinese food very much...The habbit of eating made her go back to China....

When she said these words to me ,she flushed lightly,which made her look very beautiful and shy...

Maybe it was true,I didn't know ,but I really loved Fangfang very much ,especially during the first year after we got married.
greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by greatJim »

The life sometimes shows u the painful part. it tortures u,and never let u go out..

But sometimes he is generous,almost out of surprise...

Fangfang was just like an gift to my life..It seemed as if after I walked around in the shadow for so long time,sunlight suddernly came in..I felt warm and had a peaceful mood on my mind.

Until one day ,it was my birthday..
greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by greatJim »

My birthday was in summer,and that evening,i ordered a cake .

when I took the cake back home,giong through the gate of building district,i saw a girl who was selling flowers.

And I bought a rose ,thinking to give my wife a surprise.

--Fangfang was glad,she kissed me and asked me if her new hairstyle was goodlooking. it was a plait.really thick..

I smiled,and said,"fangfang,i like everything u did for me."

She was so glad and almost skipped to prepared the cake for me.

That night,we made love sweetly.and after that,she said to me softly,"Jim,did u ever give roses to some girls?"

I said no..

Fangfang said,"Jim,i should tell u I had a boy friend before."

"yes?"I touch her plait with hand and said,"Is he handsome?"

"not like u..jim..u are very pure and sexy."She said..

"Do u mean u are not as pure as me?"I asked her carefully.

"yes."she said in low voice.
greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by greatJim »

I didn't ask fangfang more.since I loved her and that was enough.

But her words made me recollect the past...that was six years ago.......
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

Oh that's very interesting! Does the Jennyzhu thing continue? And maybe you can also continue your old stories they were also very good indeed
greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by greatJim »

for some reason i had not continued the story for many weeks..

in fact,i don't know exactly what it is going on.. :P
greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by greatJim »

yes...it was Lan..

who i admired ...and who let me be infatuated.

She was these kinds of girl,how to say...popular ,beautiful,some kinds of graceful not artificially..

anyway,my dear friends,when i tried to imatate some kinds of writing skill from some great books which i read....i found it was still difficult to portray a girl ...

forgive me..i will try and try...

it was a desperate thing,yes..when i met Lan and fell in love with here at first glance.and a desperate love ,hopeless at beginning.
greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by greatJim »

When i met Lan she had been a teacher.At that time i was in my last year as a student of histroy department.in Fact ,i joined a class we could choosed as a subsidiary major.tha class was water color .i liked drawing when i was a child,as anybody might exeprience...

Lan was a graduate student of dramtic,and as an assistent teacher ,she had many leisure .

We had drawing class twice a week.BUt Lan never came in Wednesday...
greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by greatJim »

One day we drew a picture of some flowers in a vase.

The teacher was an old man.he was really personable.In fact Lan was so graceful that the old painter always flattered her when he taught us.

When he made example for us,we could have a chance to appreciate his good skill on portraying a matter.

one time he took a white paper in hand and clinched it into a ball.

then he made a sketch of the balled paper by a pencil.In several minutes the shade of the complicated facets produced by the light was drawn vividly on his paper.

It was a wonderful performance.
greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by greatJim »

"you should know how to draw the shadow,then u can make the object looks vivid on the paper."the old painter told us,when he didn't stop his pencil.

"Next time i will take u to paint the real thing outside."after a while,he began to stroll around .now and than said something about every student's painting.
greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by greatJim »

Our next class soon came.

The teacher took us to a lake.
"now look at these beautiful lotus in the lake."
he pointed by finger.
"and you should treat this lesson like a creative work."

I choosed a place to sit down,and opened the color box .
Since i need water to draw.i went to the lake ,taking a bottle.

Lan was there ,too.

"yes?it is a good weather,right?"I said .
greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by greatJim »

When the story begins,it always has no sign.

Sometimes we expect something to happen,more eager,the result left us more far away.

Lan didn't say anything to me,she just glanced me for a second.and took the bottle of water back to her place.

How should i say?

yes,her pose was so graceful when she crouched down to take the water from the lake.the curve of her body was touching.
greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by greatJim »

Maybe the good weather outdoors gave me a good mood.Maybe because of Lan's cold atittude to me,I had a quiet status to draw the color water.

The old teacher still walked around like before,and finally he stopped beside me.

"Not bad."He said."Please look this student's draw."

Before i knew what he would say next,other boys and girls had moved their eyes to me.
greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by greatJim »

The old teacher called the students to gather around me,and he made comments on my draw.

"look,he used transparent speciality of water color very well.How to express the water in the lake by the color.if we just saw it by naked eyes,maybe it was black.but this student didn't use balck color."he said,"that's what i said u should learn how to draw the shadow.the lotus leaves blocked off the sun and made shadow on the water."

"now both the water and the lotus looks with vitality."
greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by greatJim »

HOw should we evaluate a painting?

I don't know.

I think art is just art.u can like a painting,or dislike a painting.it is a kind of sense of different person.

Many days later,Lan told me ,in fact,she was not very fond of my painting.

She smiled when she said that,"I like oil painting.It looks more like the real thing."

I didn't say anything,because she was a student in drama department.She knew more about art than me....

"And to be honest,"She said in naughty voice,"U must be greedy to look at my breast that day by the lake.Is that right?Ha ha..."

I laughed .."I admit,but that was not a evil thing.I guess."
greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by greatJim »

One day I met Lan in the cafeteria .
There are many cafeterias in our university.

It was a sunny day.She sat at a seat beside the window.I took the meal on my hand and said hello to her.

She smiled and I sat down at the other side of the table.

"How is everthing?are u busy recently?"I asked.

"NOt bad."Lan said.

I could not find any thread.And after a while.She said,"is history interesting?"
greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by greatJim »

"History is such a major,it could be a mirror ,but if somebody look himself in the mirror everyday.he will became old quickly."
I said after thinking for a while.

Lan said," great.it sound like u are a wise man."

"How is ur major?" i asked .
greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by greatJim »

"Drama is very interesting."Lan said,"Life is full of dramatic things."

After a while,She smiled suddernly,"I like comedy.Do u want play a comedy with me?"

It seems a question of challenge for me.

"Why not?"I replied.

She laughed .and asked ,"are u serious?"
greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by greatJim »

My dear reader,i could not recall what I had said in that talk with Lan now.

Sometimes memory was like an ocean...

Have u ever read the story <Norweign Forest>?

It is about a love story.the writer,when was a student in university..a girl,who had been a friend of him when they were young,killed herself at last ,maybe it was a story of phycho...but the writer wrote it with sincere sense..and

how to say.......i mean when a people was young,life sometimes like a hole..as the writer portrayed,a well in a deserted place,a forest....
greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by greatJim »

"Why did u tell her the vase was put on her desk by ME?!"
Lao chai questioned me .
Evidently,he had been angry with my deed.

In our class,every student had a desk .Mine was next to Xiao ye's .Xiao ye was a lovely girl .Lao chai was chasing her.I knew that.

Last night Lao chai purchased a vase .We were living in a same apartment.

I thought Lao chai had been drunk now.We were sitting in a small restaurant.

I thought it was an ordinary thing.

This morning,when Xiao ye came to the class,she found a new big vase with flowers on her desk.She looked confounded at first.and I told her it was Lao chai's gift.

"Does he?"Xiao ye said,sounds like some kinds of regret in her words.

But the unfortunated thing happened,in the noon Xiao ye threw the vase and the flowers to the dustbin.

I tried to explain why I thought i should tell her the truth at that time.but it was too late.
greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by greatJim »

Till today,I don't know exactly why Lao chai put the vase on Xiao Ye 's desk silently.

That night,He had drunk so and after he stepped into his room,he negan vomitting vehemently.

I rent another room ,leaving the apartment i shared with Laochai.

I thought I had made a mistake on this thing,and that winter,I got a very bad cold.

I made a call to Lao chai ,he found me and carried me to the hospital by taxi and left.

I met a young girl who was discussing abortion on her with doctor there.I was deeply sorry when I was listening their talk since the girl was so young .
It must be an unexpected preganant.

---
The story of Lan and me seemed break off.

When I looked out of the window of the plane,the girl who called me "uncle" opened her mouth suddernly.

"Uncle,u looked very like to see the sky,do u like to see the sea,too?"

I took back my sight and smiled to her.

"yes,The sea,i like it very much."I said to her.(over)
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

Great, you began a story, and after that you began another?' or is the same, one story into another. Sorry but I lost.
About what I´ve read, it is in good literary mod. But IMHO I don´t see a conection between first and seceond.

Who Am I to critices you?? the only thing I do is ask your for an explanation.
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

The flow of the story suddenly became so unclear. It just puzzled me! :roll:
denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Vase

Post by denvinbo »

What will I say :?: :?: :?: :?:
mybikiny

Post by mybikiny »

Great story, GJ. hoping you make it better. i thought you a writter :D
denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by denvinbo »

Well, there's nothing to do........ :D :D :D :D
shakespear
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shakespear »

"Don't think twice before you listen to your heart. I will think thrice!" it`s wrong .I prefer to say "Don`t think before you listen to your heart I`ll follow it directly. The first love is the true love and the first look is the innocent look .
our life is like a night mare