Prefer extended family?

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

wangyingying

Prefer extended family?

Postby wangyingying » Tue May 30, 2006 7:18 am

Do you prefer an extended family?
Have you ever planed to live with your parents even after
you are married ?

Oriani
Miss EnglishClub.com 2007
Miss EnglishClub.com 2007

Postby Oriani » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:40 pm

Hi my friend. It's weird nobody has written here. This's a very interesting topic, I think I prefer a small family because I already have a big one..
I've got a lot of cousins.. more cousins.. and more counsins.. aunts.. uncles.. etc.. etc..
Now, I'd like to have jus 2 babies but If God send me more, I'll welcome them as well. It's up to you.. it depends on your future life.. your parnert.. it's depends on everything, mostly on you.

If I'm running out of money, and none place to live at, I'd live at my parents'house until I get my house. My parents are sweet and I know they'll help me. Even though I have to have my own house and porperties.Working hard and doing my best .But not Married....If I'm single, I'd live with them.
Good luck!
Last edited by Oriani on Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Re: Prefer extended family?

Postby Dixie » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:41 pm

wangyingying wrote: Have you ever planed to live with your parents even after
you are married ?

You're kidding, right??

shokin
Rough Diamond Member

Postby shokin » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:43 pm

Heu... hey... hooo, huue....hahahahaha :lol:

No, be autonom !

Shokin

Kacika

Postby Kacika » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:31 am

I was brought in an extended family and I enjoyed it very much. As a little child I was loved and pampered by more relatives. But my mother suffered from not being independent from her mother, although she was a mother herself.

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:49 am

Dixie wrote:
wangyingying wrote: Have you ever planed to live with your parents even after
you are married ?

You're kidding, right??

It's pretty common for some people in some European or Asian countries.

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:59 am

LennyeTran wrote:It's pretty common for some people in some European or Asian countries.

What? To live with your parents once you're married? :roll: Well, to me it sounds not only weird, but also unbearable. I'm so tired of living with them that I can't imagine continue living with them after I've got married. And my husband wouldn't stand it either :lol:

cyborg
Gold Member

Postby cyborg » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:30 am

wangyingying wrote:Do you prefer an extended family?
Have you ever planed to live with your parents even after
you are married ?

Extended family: well, i really don't like extended family. I aint staying with mom/dad since i was 14, so there would be no reason what so ever why ill stay with them after marriage.

Marriage: that doesn't sound good at me, i don't think i'll get marry, but not sure....hahaha weird uh?

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:57 pm

Dixie wrote:
What? To live with your parents once you're married? :roll: Well, to me it sounds not only weird, but also unbearable. I'm so tired of living with them that I can't imagine continue living with them after I've got married. And my husband wouldn't stand it either :lol:

I and my siblings thought that one of us should live with my mom even after we got married. My brother was nominated for the position, and he'd won our votes :lol: . However, it turned out my mom didn't wanna live with any of us. She said whenever all of us got married, she would stay with one of my aunts and my grandma. I have to say we were glad, but geezz, where's the thanks for the thought? :cry:

My cousin' wife in Vietnam likes to live with her in-law family. Isn't that weird? I asked her why, and she said she would live with her parents, anyway, so it didn't matter whose parents she was living with. This is even scarier to me.

Tottochan

Postby Tottochan » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:41 pm

Living with my in-law-family after getting married seems not to be a problem to me though I havent got married yet. It's normal to a vietnamese girl. I'am sure there will be troubles too, but there's always trouble in life, right? If we can avoid troubles, it's better :D So, I prefer to have my own family. By that way, you can keep distant with other family members and remain good relationships with them. Living together and seeing each other everyday would create conflicts (I am not saying it would always happen but quite often :D )

Cheers,

Chi

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:40 pm

I guess it's because both my bf and I are so fed up with our families that we want them far away :D No, this kind of thing isn't usual here. When people get married, they start their own family away from their parents.

limpopo

Distance creates beauty

Postby limpopo » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:31 pm

Distance creates beauty--prefer living alone! But, keep in touch with your parents--shoulder your responsibility!

Popo

tigerlover

Postby tigerlover » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:42 am

Hi, i just joined this forum. I like to discuss about family. I see many "westerner" (is it correct word to descibe people from west part of the globe?)don't like to stay with their parents even before they got married. I'm from the east part of the globe and I love my family very much. If I ever had a chance to study and work in my hometown, i surely stayed with my parents. I've been staying out since my college day until now, about 16 years now. But I'll go back to visit them during the break. I miss them terribly now that they were gone. After my father passed away i didn't feel lonely cause I still have mum but after she died 3 months ago, oh! no... she didn't get a chance to see my new house. I felt great loss cause I was quite close to my mum.

I think the way I was brought up is the reason why I want to stay with my family. I don't have my own room until I went to school. I was sleeping with them everyday and always feel their warm touch and love. This makes my world dull if I don't see their face for a day. I got homesick the first day I went to college :D

Now I'm living alone. But I prefer to live with my own family after married. Well, I guess every family have their own rules and I don't want my parents (in-law)to ruin them though I could get their advice to build my own happy family.

By the way, I'm not married yet :D

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:46 am

tigerlover wrote:Hi, i just joined this forum. I like to discuss about family. I see many "westerner" (is it correct word to descibe people from west part of the globe?)don't like to stay with their parents even before they got married. I'm from the east part of the globe and I love my family very much. If I ever had a chance to study and work in my hometown, i surely stayed with my parents. I've been staying out since my college day until now, about 16 years now. But I'll go back to visit them during the break. I miss them terribly now that they were gone. After my father passed away i didn't feel lonely cause I still have mum but after she died 3 months ago, oh! no... she didn't get a chance to see my new house. I felt great loss cause I was quite close to my mum.

I think the way I was brought up is the reason why I want to stay with my family. I don't have my own room until I went to school. I was sleeping with them everyday and always feel their warm touch and love. This makes my world dull if I don't see their face for a day. I got homesick the first day I went to college :D

Now I'm living alone. But I prefer to live with my own family after married. Well, I guess every family have their own rules and I don't want my parents (in-law)to ruin them though I could get their advice to build my own happy family.

By the way, I'm not married yet :D

Welcome, tigerlover!

I'm sorry to hear about your parents. May I ask how old you are?

I see you were brought up in a way in which you were very close to your parents. It's been different for me... Yes they love us all very much and all... but they are too protective, and too conservative for my taste, that in the end you get sick of being around them all day and want to take a breath, if you know what I mean.

tigerlover

Postby tigerlover » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:25 am

Thank you. I'm 34 now. I'm the 11th out of 12th siblings. 3 of us were died and now we're 9.

Seems that you have a hard time facing your "protective and conservative" parents. If I were you, i'll definitely make the same decision as well. I guess I was so lucky to have a very understanding parents. They taught me everything, from religion to sosial. They treated me as a child and friend and the best part I like was they gave me a whole freedom to choose my own life. They always support my decision, whatever it was, Of course with some discussion over that thing. Now that makes me miss them :cry:

Can you tell me how's your life living alone/with friends. Do you pay a call on them sometimes?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

eman
Gold Member

Postby eman » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:54 am

i have already a big family :) ,,have five brothers and six sister and i live with two brothers and four sisters with my parents...its lovely to live with big family ,u can share with them yr ideas and if u sick or have problem they be next to u,we love each other..

most arabic families like my family...they like to have big family

but if i will get marry i will live in my new house but my house should be close to my parents house... :wink:

its my condition :wink:

i prefer to have maybe three or five childern

cool

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:32 am

eman wrote:

i prefer to have maybe three or five childern

cool

Why not two or four but three or five? You like odd numbers or something? :?

eman
Gold Member

Postby eman » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:20 am

hi my firend LennyeTran

maybe i like odd number

i just shoosed these number like that

:wink:

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:13 am

tigerlover wrote:Can you tell me how's your life living alone/with friends. Do you pay a call on them sometimes?

To live with friends is a completely different world :D I lived away from my parents for six years (5 in college and one more last year, when I moved to the capital for work) and I really miss my college days. I made really good friends there (they are from my area and we still get together on the weekends) and had lots of fun. So I lived on my own for 6 years and I came back home a year ago... and well living with your folks' is great because you don't have to pay for anything and you live like a king/queen but I miss my freedom and my independence. I am looking forward to moving in with my bf now but we don't have any money so we'll just have to wait.

FIVER
Gold Member

Postby FIVER » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:58 pm

I don't think living with an extended family is so bad if there aren't a lot of people other than the parents. When my brother got married, his wife moved in with my family. Now it's my mom, three sisters and two brothers plus his wife and their one year old daughter. It really depends on the house too. If it's spacious then it could be a good living condition. That kind of family can be fun too. Although I liked living with them for a month, I prefer living alone or with less people.

trangsang

Postby trangsang » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:12 am

I moved out when I was in college and haven't moved back since. I like to be independent and do things I want without getting annoyances from someone. I'd definitely not live with my parents or relatives once I got married. It's good to live near them though to support each another.

Return to “Ideas and Opinions”