About Bible

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderator: EC

nancycumt

About Bible

Post by nancycumt »

have you read Bible!Lots of people think Bible is the best classic work.It includes all human qualities.I only read a little about Bible .what do you think of Bible? thank you very much.
byron
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: About Bible .

Post by byron »

nancycumt wrote:have you read Bible!Lots of people think Bible is the best classic work.It includes all human qualities.I only read a little about Bible .what do you think of Bible? thank you very much.
The Bible is in two parts. The Old Testament which is Jewish and pre-dates Jesus and the New Testament which post dates Jesus. Then there is the Koran which incorporates some of both and post dates Mohammed.
In English society it is said that there are two things you never discuss in a Pub (Bar) one is religion the other is politics.
nancycumt

Thank you !

Post by nancycumt »

Thank your answer ! This summer holiday i will read the whole book.I will share my opinion with you!Thank you again!
chiemdu
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by chiemdu »

as a catholic, i have read the Bible many times. i don't think a summer holiday a enough and specific time for you to read the whole book because it takes a lot time to figure out what exactly God is driving at. i can ensure you that.
Reading the Bible is not for fun but for humanity. Only by that way can you understand fully what it's about.
that's just my opinion, what do u think?
Oriani
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Oriani »

Well.. Hello guys.. I really like this topic.. I'm a Catholic girl and of Course and Read The Holy Bible and I can say that it has helped me a lot.. But talking about these topics it's kind of delicate..!!!
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

I'm also a catholic but I don't really read the Bible. I've read it a few times when I was younger but now I just don't do it. I guess I should get back to it sometime because it contains a lot of wise stuff.
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

illusion wrote:I'm also a catholic but I don't really read the Bible.
Then you are probably a Catholic but not a Christian.
It is up to you to study scripture......not your priest!
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

byron wrote: The Bible is in two parts. The Old Testament which is Jewish and pre-dates Jesus and the New Testament which post dates Jesus.

It is not accurate to call The Old Testament "Jewish". The old Testament covers the history of humankind from the Creation to the rebuilding of the Temple in Jerusalem. Seen through the eyes of Hebrew people. The "JEWS" are only what is left of the Israelites. There were 12 tribes but the 10 tribes of the northern regions of Israel were taken captive by Assyrrians leaving only the tribe of Judah and Benjamin who are now referred to as the "Jews". It is important to make this distinction in order to fully understand prophecy for the future and past.

byron wrote: Then there is the Koran which incorporates some of both and post dates Mohammed.
The koran has nothing at all to do with the Bible. The Koran contradicts the Bible and was written by a mass murderer and his scribes, Mohammed. It was written some 600 years after the life of Jesus.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

danyet wrote:
Catholics are Christians in a sense. You all believe in Jesus Christ.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

danyet wrote:
byron wrote: The Bible is in two parts. The Old Testament which is Jewish and pre-dates Jesus and the New Testament which post dates Jesus.

It is not accurate to call The Old Testament "Jewish". The old Testament covers the history of humankind from the Creation to the rebuilding of the Temple in Jerusalem. Seen through the eyes of Hebrew people. The "JEWS" are only what is left of the Israelites. There were 12 tribes but the 10 tribes of the northern regions of Israel were taken captive by Assyrrians leaving only the tribe of Judah and Benjamin who are now referred to as the "Jews". It is important to make this distinction in order to fully understand prophecy for the future and past.
This is exactly what he meant by the Jewish part. Jewish people still wait for their savior.
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

He said "The old Testament is Jewish". It is not!

And Catholics can not be Christian since they started the myth of Mary worsip. Not only this, they have changed and rewritten the 10 Commandments.

Also the Pope has said that he is Jesus's representative on Earth! What a load of Poop!
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

danyet wrote:He said "The old Testament is Jewish". It is not!
The Old Testament covers the history of Judaism and Hebrew history. How is it not "Jewish" when Jewish don't believe in Jesus Christ as their savior whose life was covered in the New Testament???? :?

danyet wrote:And Catholics can not be Christian since they started the myth of Mary worsip. Not only this, they have changed and rewritten the 10 Commandments.
Roman Catholics, Protestans, Orthodox, etc. are all the same to me, well, except Jewish. You all believe in one God and Jesus Christ as a savior, which makes you Christian.
danyet wrote:Also the Pope has said that he is Jesus's representative on Earth! What a load of Poop!
Heard you, babe!
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

LennyeTran wrote:
danyet wrote:
yeah, that's what I thought as well...
Oriani
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Oriani »

Being Christian is nice.. I love it..!!! what's the problem with it? We all believe in God anyway !
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Oriani wrote: We all believe in God anyway !
Who's "we"?
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

I read only some extracts from Bible for children long-long time ago... don't feel like I want to read the whole book and for adults one... we don't even have a sample at home... I don't think something terrible will happen due to this fact :roll:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Lucky you! Here they give it out for free. When you walk on the street, here goes a Bible for you to read when you get home. When you go to school, here goes a Bible for you to read when you feel stressed with school and such. When you're at home, here goes a Bible for you to read to protect your house and soul and probably change your belief if you believe in other religion. Everywhere you stay there will be a Bible for you. Same thing with Islam. :roll:
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

nothing for free in russia - even if it's a Bible! here only krishnaists give us free books and cookies... cookies are awesome I must say :oops: !
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

About Hindu? Or just books in general?
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

LennyeTran wrote:About Hindu? Or just books in general?
I don't take the book - just cookies!

not so long time ago I took a survey, it uncluded fifty-something questions concerning my viewpoints and beliefs, those ones eventually were to define what religion suits me... It turned out I'm very close to buddhism :D
I'm young to determine it, it will come one day or not...
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Tora wrote: not so long time ago I took a survey, it uncluded fifty-something questions concerning my viewpoints and beliefs, those ones eventually were to define what religion suits me... It turned out I'm very close to buddhism :D
I'm young to determine it, it will come one day or not...
I took it as well (probably not the same test, I guess), and it turned out I wasn't a Buddhist but a spiritual person. I found it "insulting" because I was darn sure I was a Buddhist. :lol: :lol:
Oriani
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Oriani »

Dixie wrote:
Oriani wrote: We all believe in God anyway !
Who's "we"?
Christian.... why???
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Oriani wrote: Christian.... why???
Oh, I thought by "we" you meant "everybody" and I was just going to comment on that... sorry :D
TuanAnVu

Post by TuanAnVu »

LennyeTran wrote:
danyet wrote:

I'm also a Catholic. Could you help me distinguish Catholics and Chirstians?. Hic, I wondered this question for a long time but I haven't any chance to express it. I expect your reply. Thanks.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

TuanAnVu wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:
danyet wrote:Then you are probably a Catholic but not a Christian.

I'm also a Catholic. Could you help me distinguish Catholics and Chirstians?. Hic, I wondered this question for a long time but I haven't any chance to express it. I expect your reply. Thanks.
Vietnamese, right? Catholic is nguoi Cong Giao and Christian is nguoi Tin Lanh. I think you know the difference, right?
TuanAnVu

Post by TuanAnVu »

Vietnamese, right? Catholic is nguoi Cong Giao and Christian is nguoi Tin Lanh. I think you know the difference, right?
I know the difference between Cong Giao and Tin Lanh. But Christian means Co Doc Giao as we translate it into Vietnamese. I don't know about Co Doc Giao. Please tell me the simplest thing to realise it.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Co Doc Giao is different. Christianity means dao Thien Chua, which means all branches believe in one God and Jesus Christ even though they have their differences. Christians (in general term) are people who believe in Christ. That's why I said I don't really see the differences between Catholics and Christians.

Never mind, cross the first two lines out. I didn't know Christianity means Co Doc Giao in Vietnamese. I just called it Thien Chua Giao.
vince90
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by vince90 »

May be I am wrong but to me “Co Doc Giao” and “Tin Lanh” are the same. Just another way to cal "Tin Lanh". The different between "Cong Giao" (Roman Catholic) " and the others is “Cong Giao” believes in Virgin Mary and the others don’t,. The priest in "Cong Giao" not allow to married but the others do.
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

The reason Many Christians don't call Catholics "Christian" is because the Catholic Curch started in Rome, some 300 years after the first Christians appeared, at the time of Constantine who adopted Christianity as Romes state religion, where it became corrupted.

These Catholics introduced a mixture of pagan and Christian beliefs into their new religion. Some of these things were the introduction of the pagan holy day Sunday as the new day of worship instead of Saturday.
Easter.
Lent.
Christmas.
And the worship and praying to Mary and saints.

All of these things have roots in the pagan world.

Catholic priest also claimed to be able forgive other people's sins and actually charged fees for the "service". They also forbid the people to read the Bible and only the Priests were allowed to have a copy of the Bible. (Very few priests had copies of the Bible and even less had read it!) Regular people were killed as heretics for reading the Bible in those days.

Catholics also claim that their Pope is Christ's representative on Earth and that therefore the Catholic Church is the only authoritive body on Earth. For this reason the Catholics slaughtered an estimated 50 million innocent men women and children during the Inquisition. Many wre horribly tortured or buned alive, some were burned so slowly that it could be said that they were slowly cooked to death.

Fortunately in the 16th century during "The Reformation" people began to read the Bible for themselves and began to break away from this evil church.

These reasons and more are why Catholics are not considered true Christians by many. After all, who, after knowing all these things about the Catholics, would anyone want to stay in that religion?

Even so, there are many good poeple who are Catholics. I just don't know why they remain in such a church!
shigore

Post by shigore »

I want to ask you one question?
did you read the holy koran?
jakeson

Post by jakeson »

My country, the Philippines, is the only Catholic nation in Asia and the third largest Catholic nation in the world after Brazil and Mexico. There are some 70 million Catholics in the Philippines, and I’m blessed to be one of them.

It must be noted that in Sacrament of Reconciliation or popularly known as confession, it’s not the priest who forgives sins and DEFINITELY no collection is made for it. “What you held bound on earth shall be bound in heaven,” Jesus has spoken in the bible. This is the foundation of Catholic’s Sacrament of Reconciliation.

Catholicism and Christianity are inseparable. But it doesn’t always follow that when you are a Christian, you are Catholic. There are so many denominations in Christianity but all believing in Christ as God and Savior; thus, called Christian, followers of Christ.

It must be noted that icons and statues are not worshipped. They serve as a reminder, just like when you have a picture of your loved ones in your wallet. You are reminded that they are present; they exist and could serve as your inspiration.

We don’t worship Blessed Virgin Mary. We honor Mary for her “yes” to being the Mother of Jesus. We ask for her to intercede to our prayers.

Now, there’s a difference between veneration and worshipping. It must be noted.

The gist of all of these things is respect to what others believe. If you’re Islam, Buddhist, Protestant, go on with your faith. It’s not insulting or mocking what one believes to be his way to salvation. After all, religion is just but a guide to achieving the final destination, and that is to be in communion with his Creator.
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

Firstly, there is nothing written in the Bible that tells us to venerate anyone includung Mary, As a matter of a fact Mary is barely mentioned at all.

Secondly, there is nothing at all in the Bible mentioned about Mary acting as an intercessor for prayers. That is just plain looney! Where are you Bible quotes for that? Hmmm?

Thirdly, Whether or not you believe that priests can forgive sin doesn't change the fact that for centuries priests charged the people a fee for "Cofession".

If you did just a little research on your religion you would have found that catholicism is steeped in pagan roots and then perhaps begun your search for real truth.
If you knew just a fraction of lies spread and the atrocity caused by the Roman Catholic church you would find a better church unconnected with such despicable behaviour. It amazes me that this church has any members left at all, given the availability of the facts and knowlegde in general these days.
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

shigore wrote:I want to ask you one question?
I have read enough to know that the Koran is a boring fairytale for the simple minded and it's accompanying Hadith is for morons!
Pearl
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Pearl »

danyet wrote:
shigore wrote:I want to ask you one question?
I have read enough to know that the Koran is a boring fairytale for the simple minded and it's accompanying Hadith is for morons!
dear danyet,

you read holly koran on the website, and there a lot of them make own website and writting anything ...

better for you getting holly quran from ksa

bye
pearl
jakeson

Post by jakeson »

[quote="danyet"]Firstly, there is nothing written in the Bible that tells us to venerate anyone includung Mary, As a matter of a fact Mary is barely mentioned at all.

Secondly, there is nothing at all in the Bible mentioned about Mary acting as an intercessor for prayers. That is just plain looney! Where are you Bible quotes for that? Hmmm?

Thirdly, Whether or not you believe that priests can forgive sin doesn't change the fact that for centuries priests charged the people a fee for "Cofession".

If you did just a little research on your religion you would have found that catholicism is steeped in pagan roots and then perhaps begun your search for real truth.
If you knew just a fraction of lies spread and the atrocity caused by the Roman Catholic church you would find a better church unconnected with such despicable behaviour. It amazes me that this church has any members left at all, given the availability of the facts and knowlegde in general these days.[/quote]

I guess, I need not argue. If that's your opinion, let it be. You, coming from US, I'm not surprised. Religion is fading fast in that part of the world. It's a crime to hurt a dog, but it's legal to abort babies. I say sorry to some Americans, but that's the reality.

Go to the Philippines and experience how Catholicism is so much alive.

I need not do research to know the origin of my religion. I've learned so much in the seminary, pal. And nobody can shatter my faith, not even you.

Watch out, little knowledge is dangerous.

About Blessed Virgin Mary? I'm just very blessed to have that love for her.

Luke 1.46–55

Canticle of Mary

My soul magnifies the Lord,
and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour,
for he has looked with favour on the lowliness of his servant.
Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
for the Mighty One has done great things for me,
and holy is his name.
His mercy is for those who fear him
from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with his arm;
he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts.
He has brought down the powerful from their thrones,
and lifted up the lowly;
he has filled the hungry with good things,
and sent the rich away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel,
in remembrance of his mercy,
according to the promise he made to our ancestors,
to Abraham and to his descendants for ever.
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

Your canticle of mary has nothing to do with Mary!

USA is probably more religious than Philipines, as most catholics do not even know what the Bible says because they have not studied it, you included. As a matter of fact you sound just as looney and brainwashed as the Muslims here on this forum. There is little difference between them and you. They refuse to do research too.

Do not think that you have Biblical knowledge just because you study in a seminary, particularly a catholic one.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

jakeson wrote:
I guess, I need not argue. If that's your opinion, let it be. You, coming from US, I'm not surprised. Religion is fading fast in that part of the world. It's a crime to hurt a dog, but it's legal to abort babies. I say sorry to some Americans, but that's the reality.
Religions are fading fast in most part of the world. This is why atheist population is growing (I'm not gonna argue about atheism since in my opinion there is no such thing).

Anyway, back to the topic, it's still really not legal for abortion. Bush Administration has been trying to ban it with little success, though. A woman has a right to do what's right for her body and condition. No government should interfere. Your example about dogs and fetuses are like apples and oranges, to me. I don't see the relation.
jakeson

Post by jakeson »

[quote="danyet"]Your canticle of mary has nothing to do with Mary!

USA is probably more religious than Philipines, as most catholics do not even know what the Bible says because they have not studied it, you included. As a matter of fact you sound just as looney and brainwashed as the Muslims here on this forum. There is little difference between them and you. They refuse to do research too.

Do not think that you have Biblical knowledge just because you study in a seminary, particularly a catholic one.[/quote]

All right. All right. This is not a battle of who is smarter or who is dumber. Whatever you said, let it be.

I know myself, I know what I know, and I know how deep my faith is and I need not prove you that.

And, oh, don't be misguided by just merely hearsay.
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

jakeson wrote: I know how deep my faith is and I need not prove you that.
Muslims know how deep their faith is too. So what does that really mean, nothing. You both can't be right, so having faith without knowledge is meaningless ....this is what the problem is in the world today.
Oh, and by the way, the Bible rather silent about abortion and ambiguous about when life begins so the catholic doctrine in abortion is just that....catholic doctrine. You have no right to judge people in America as being not very christian very over this issue.
jakeson

Post by jakeson »

[quote="danyet"][quote="jakeson"] I know how deep my faith is and I need not prove you that.

[/quote]Muslims know how deep their faith is too. So what does that really mean, nothing. You both can't be right, so having faith without knowledge is meaningless ....this is what the problem is in the world today.
Oh, and by the way, the Bible rather silent about abortion and ambiguous about when life begins so the catholic doctrine in abortion is just that....catholic doctrine. You have no right to judge people in America as being not very christian very over this issue.[/quote]

Okay. Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven.

And by the way, don't be too over reacting on what others believe in. You have also no right to judge other's faith. The best and the greatest thing you can do is to respect them.
andes

Post by andes »

all i know about bible is just:
it will tell you the truth and the way of eternal life in the name of Jesus christ...
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

andes wrote:all i know about bible is just:
it will tell you the truth and the way of eternal life in the name of Jesus christ...
Good for you.
jeffcox
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jeffcox »

Andes wrote:
all i know about bible is just:
Oh boy, you really need a bible to do that? The bible was written by a bunch of blokes. It's not a book, it's a collection of writings. These writings were chosen because someone happened to like those ones. The others were ignored because he didn't like those.

Consider the bible, you'd have to consider all of those writings. Exacly which bible are you reading that shows you the truth that that guy decided was the truth?

Interesting, uh?
andes

Post by andes »

should be good for all..
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

andes wrote:should be good for all..
I don't believe in it, but you do. Thus, good for you.
jeffcox
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jeffcox »

LennyeTran Wrote: I don't believe in it, but you do. Thus, good for you.
Is it enough just to believe in something? Many people commit atrocious acts because they believe in the reason.

Shouldn't we always question what we believe? Shouldn't we always challenge our own concepts and prejudice?

Recently, some research showed that what we 'believe' can affect our rationality and logical thought processes. When our brain is involved in belief or preference, the parts that control belief or preference become active, but so do the parts that control our emotions. So, our concepts, decisions and preferences are often blurred by our emotions. Remember Spock, the Vulcan, from Startreck; he was always complaining about this. Finally it has been proven by the use of cat scans.

So, read the Bible, by all means. But don't take it all on blind faith. Try to analyse it and criticize it as much as you can. Try to destroy its arguments. When you've tried really hard to do that and you still beleive in it, at least your belief is well founded on logical argument and not floating in the air.

Of course, it will still be 'faith' or 'belief', because there is no real proof presented to show that God exists. You will still be relying on 'belief' but you've tried to get as near to the truth as you can and be less prejudicial as you can. At least you're trying to leave the cave. (A reference to Plato, not an insult).
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Uh huh.
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

I've read the Bible twice and I think it's a great book. It's full of wisdom.
Christians should always read the bible. If people would read it, they wouldn't believe in lies like Virgin Mary or they wouldn't hang pictures of so- called "saints" on their walls, lit candles and pray to them. That's just silly and nonsense. They can't do anything to help them.
Anyway, it would be good if you knew more about it.
Although it seems like a huge and boring book, it is not.
Through it God wants to show us the right path to salvation. Actually it's very easy to receive it. God doesn't ask too much from us.
Too bad people nowadays think that they need to be good and do good deeds to get eternal life.
Anyhow, read the bible. It's cool. :)
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Lalee wrote: If people would read it, they wouldn't believe in lies like Virgin Mary or they wouldn't hang pictures of so- called "saints" on their walls, lit candles and pray to them. That's just silly and nonsense.
wowowow!! can this be reffered to orthodox christianity?? I am not religious but can't keep silent when... I can :lol: Is it so important - all our believes and religions? does it really matter? you are a young and nice girl why to put you mind full of that religions and so on? :?
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

Tora wrote: wowowow!! can this be reffered to orthodox christianity?? I am not religious but can't keep silent when... I can :lol: Is it so important - all our believes and religions? does it really matter? you are a young and nice girl why to put you mind full of that religions and so on? :?
It doesn't matter if I'm young or old. It just bugs me when people follow others without knowing if what they're following is right or not.
For instance, catholics here like to pray to idols which are statues of dead people called saints. Why don't they pray to God instead of those idols? Isn't God powerful enough to help them? They think they're true believers but there they are worshipping false gods.
Now if they read the bible, they would know that their church follows lots of beliefs the Bible is against.