Accent

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

How much are you trying to get rid of your accent?

Every minute
40%
I'm okay with mine
60%

Total votes: 15

MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Accent

Post by MissLT »

I believe most of us here speak English with an accent. Well, how bad do you want to get rid of your accent, so you would sound like a native English speaker?
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

What accent? I have no accent.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Hardi wrote:What accent? I have no accent.
You don't speak; that's why. :twisted:
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

I don't like my accent at all.
I wish I could sound like a native speaker but I think someone would be able to accomplish that when that person lived in an English speaking country for some years so I'm thinking about going to Canada or the States to get rid of it once and for all!

I've been mistaken for an asian when people have heard my accent over the phone. :shock:
If I'm not asian then how could I possibly be mistaken for one?? :roll:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

This is my answer at another forum in a thread, which someone is asking for help to get rid of the accent.

I know it's okay to have an accent because the other language you speak is not your mother tongue; therefore, an expectation that a non-native should have the accent of a native is unfair and unjust. We all should be proud of the accent we have; it's a part of who we are. Nevertheless, the curiosity, observation, endless questions, discrimination, stereotype, and so on could get on our nerves. Thus, we end up wishing to get rid of something we should be proud of.

Well, if you can't get away of this vicious life that people would judge you based on your accent, I suggest you to watch televison to imitate the way the native speakers speak. Record yourself and then ask a native to help you to point out what words you pronounced them wrong. Ask them for the correct pronunciation. Practice yourself until you've got it right. It could be a long process depending on how heavy your accent is. The word patience will definitely work here. Be patient and give yourself some credits. 8)
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

My mother is Irish and she lives in Australia. Her accent is as clear as the day she arrived here. I love it. So many people comment on how lovely it is. 8)
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Lalee wrote:I don't like my accent at all.
I wish I could sound like a native speaker but I think someone would be able to accomplish that when that person lived in an English speaking country for some years so I'm thinking about going to Canada or the States to get rid of it once and for all!

I've been mistaken for an asian when people have heard my accent over the phone. :shock:
If I'm not asian then how could I possibly be mistaken for one?? :roll:
There was a Chinese girl from Beijing that I knew in college had a really light accent. At first I thought she was a native born until I found some words she pronounced sound really Chinese. I asked her about it, and I was quite shocked to find out she'd been in the States only for three months. She said she'd been studying English in China.
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

LennyeTran wrote: There was a Chinese girl from Beijing that I knew in college had a really light accent. At first I thought she was a native born until I found some words she pronounced sound really Chinese. I asked her about it, and I was quite shocked to find out she'd been in the States only for three months. She said she'd been studying English in China.
She was probably very smart to catch the accent so fast? I've always thought that there are some people who are better in something than others so guess that girl was good at languages.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

She said she's started to learn English since she was six. Her dad is a professor in some Beijing university. She told me his goal is to see her to get an American degree. Quite strange, huh, why American's? That's why she said she was trained hard to study English. But I didn't think her accent could turn out that well even she had studied for years in China. (No offense to Chinese people. My view of this was limited) Therefore, if you trained hard enough, you might get your accent lighter. I don't think you can sound exactly like the natives. If you sound about 80% like them, then it is already good enough, I believe.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Having an accent is totally normal since English is not our native language. However, it bothers me a lot, I wish I spoke better English. But that's not possible unless we move to an English-speaking country (although after reading Shazzam's post now I'm starting to have doubts :D).
Rui
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rui »

who cares about accent.. i would be happy if everybody understand me :wink:, but well... yeah, i have accent of those that dont know how to speak a language :lol: :lol: :lol:
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

I don't know which accent I have. I even felt strange when I heared myself on videotapes... Is it really my voice???
Seafarer
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Seafarer »

I was obsessed with the accent.Now, i just aim to be understood by other people. I mostly speak in the way Americans do. But sometimes i pronounce the words like a British speaker.But the goal is to be understood..i don't care the rest :twisted:
jeffcox
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jeffcox »

I'm a native English speaker - from England - and I really, really love people who speak English with an accent.

It's so cute!

Girls with a French accent are just irresistable! :twisted: Spanish, too :twisted: and Japanese :twisted: ... oh, I'm getting carried away again!!!

Seriously, an accent is just great. Of course, the accent must not get in the way of communication. We have to be able to understand you, but beyond that, the English love accents. All the English I've met and talked to about it think this.

I speak Portuguese with what must be the worst possible accent. I try to reduce it to help communication with some words and sounds, but beyond that, I don't mind that I speak with an accent.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Rui wrote:who cares about accent.. i would be happy if everybody understand me :wink:, but well... yeah, i have accent of those that dont know how to speak a language :lol: :lol: :lol:
I just remember I haven't heard you on Skype yet, Rui. The other times you were either busy or just typing. When are you gonna let us hear your voice? :wink:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote: I just remember I haven't heard you on Skype yet, Rui. The other times you were either busy or just typing. When are you gonna let us hear your voice? :wink:
I talked to him last week, I think he was drunk or something :lol:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Dixie wrote:Having an accent is totally normal since English is not our native language. However, it bothers me a lot, I wish I spoke better English. But that's not possible unless we move to an English-speaking country (although after reading Shazzam's post now I'm starting to have doubts :D).
:shock: What are you chirping about? Your accent is cute, understandable and light. There's no need for you to change it.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote: :shock: What are you chirping about? Your accent is cute, understandable and light. There's no need for you to change it.
Wow you just made my day!!! :lol: Thank you.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Dixie wrote:
LennyeTran wrote: I just remember I haven't heard you on Skype yet, Rui. The other times you were either busy or just typing. When are you gonna let us hear your voice? :wink:
I talked to him last week, I think he was drunk or something :lol:
I should have said we, excluded Dixie, since you've heard everyone's voice. *pouting* How was his voice, by the way? Deep, high, up, low, squeaky like a girl,...???? :twisted:
TearHere
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by TearHere »

sometimes when i speak in English, my accent is that of my native language.. :oops: still understandable though..

i have this classmate, she comes from a barrio and she often interchanges the p/f (as in fig-pig,fan-pan) sound and so many other sounds.. her enunciation and pronunciation are very poor..i feel bad for her as some of my classmates would laugh at her whenever she recites :( .. she said she's taking back subjects because of this..have you ever encountered such person?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

When I was little, there was a new kid came from the North in my class. Whenever he read the lesson out loud, he would mispronounce the L's and N's. We always giggled when he said those words wrong. My teacher told us not to because it was cruel to make fun of him like that. It would hurt his self-esteem. And he would think his problem couldn't be fixed.

I think your classmates should no make fun of her. Instead, you all should help her out. Speech therapy should help her also.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote: I should have said we, excluded Dixie, since you've heard everyone's voice. *pouting* How was his voice, by the way? Deep, high, up, low, squeaky like a girl,...???? :twisted:
It was the second time I talked to him (the first time was like centuries ago!) and I've got to say Rui is sooooo funny! :D His voice? Oh, so sexy 8) Especially when he sang... Yeah he sings too!! 8)
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Whose is better, essie's, butler's, or his? PM me for the answer, yeah? :twisted:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote:Whose is better, essie's, butler's, or his? PM me for the answer, yeah? :twisted:
Essie and Butler have never sung to me, so 1 point for Rui!! :P 8)
TearHere
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by TearHere »

LennyeTran wrote:I think your classmates should no make fun of her. Instead, you all should help her out. Speech therapy should help her also.
I can see how eager she is to learn though. One time, she asked me how "the" is pronounced. I demonstrated it, but she did it this way : "dĭ".. I'm no teacher so i don't know how to teach her.. :oops:
Oriani
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Oriani »

I love my English accent and I can do it easily!! no problem with it!!
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

Dixie wrote: Essie and Butler have never sung to me, so 1 point for Rui!! :P 8)
Awww I want to hear Essie's and Rui's voice too. :cry:
Let me know next time you guys skype, ok?
fadi

Post by fadi »

me too oriani
Oriani
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Oriani »

fadi wrote:me too oriani

That's great!!! :P
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

When I was a little sweet girl (ha ha ha) I would watch everything that was on BBC or SkyNews even though I didn't understand much of it but later on I noticed that I spoke with a British accent and now a lot of people asks me how do I speak like that and I guess I must've learned it unconsciously watching everything in British tv channels.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

illusion wrote:When I was a little sweet girl (ha ha ha) I would watch everything that was on BBC or SkyNews even though I didn't understand much of it but later on I noticed that I spoke with a British accent and now a lot of people asks me how do I speak like that and I guess I must've learned it unconsciously watching everything in British tv channels.
:shock: I wanna hear it... I wanna hear it... I wanna hear it.
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

LennyeTran wrote:
illusion wrote:When I was a little sweet girl (ha ha ha) I would watch everything that was on BBC or SkyNews even though I didn't understand much of it but later on I noticed that I spoke with a British accent and now a lot of people asks me how do I speak like that and I guess I must've learned it unconsciously watching everything in British tv channels.
:shock: I wanna hear it... I wanna hear it... I wanna hear it.
when I get a mike and skype I'm sure you will :)
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

When would that be? :wink:
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

LennyeTran wrote:When would that be? :wink:
I'm not sure because soon I will be moving to my dorm and I won't have my computer there so unfortunately I won't even be able to visit the forum :(
vince90
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by vince90 »

I have horrible accent. I have tried many years to fix it but it’s still heavy. I’ll give up. I think girls pick up the English accent much better than boys.
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

vince90 wrote:I have horrible accent. I have tried many years to fix it but it’s still heavy. I’ll give up. I think girls pick up the English accent much better than boys.
:shock: I thought you're a native-speaker - I have my own system of recognizing it - it's simple - I don't get some of your posts :lol:
what's your native then? :wink:
vince90
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by vince90 »

Tora wrote:
vince90 wrote:I have horrible accent. I have tried many years to fix it but it’s still heavy. I’ll give up. I think girls pick up the English accent much better than boys.
:shock: I thought you're a native-speaker - I have my own system of recognizing it - it's simple - I don't get some of your posts :lol:
Your recognizing system did not work this time Tora. :lol: :lol:

I’m a Vietnamese who now live in the States. It doesn’t mean that I can speak English just like the native born. Yeah! I wish….. :(
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

vince90 wrote:
Tora wrote:

I’m a Vietnamese who now live in the States. It doesn’t mean that I can speak English just like the native born. Yeah! I wish….. :(
wow! great! thanks for the answer! 8)
I'll fix my system :D
how many years have you spent there?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

vince90 wrote: I’m a Vietnamese who now live in the States. It doesn’t mean that I can speak English just like the native born. Yeah! I wish….. :(
OMG Vince I thought you were American! :D
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Dixie wrote:
vince90 wrote: I’m a Vietnamese who now live in the States. It doesn’t mean that I can speak English just like the native born. Yeah! I wish….. :(
uf! great! so not only my system need a repair :P
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

illusion wrote: I'm not sure because soon I will be moving to my dorm and I won't have my computer there so unfortunately I won't even be able to visit the forum :(
You know what, I can't believe how fast things develop. When I was in college, if you needed a computer you had to go to the university and use the computers' room. Now, I see that all students have a laptop and have internet access in their dorms or apartments. I wish I had that, too.
vince90
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by vince90 »

Tora wrote:
vince90 wrote:
Tora wrote: :shock: I thought you're a native-speaker - I have my own system of recognizing it - it's simple - I don't get some of your posts :lol:

wow! great! thanks for the answer! 8)
I'll fix my system :D
how many years have you spent there?
I’ve been here too long, but I won’t tell you how long it is. :oops:
vince90
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by vince90 »

Dixie wrote:
Your system does not work either Dixie. :D
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

Dixie wrote:
illusion wrote: I'm not sure because soon I will be moving to my dorm and I won't have my computer there so unfortunately I won't even be able to visit the forum :(
You know what, I can't believe how fast things develop. When I was in college, if you needed a computer you had to go to the university and use the computers' room. Now, I see that all students have a laptop and have internet access in their dorms or apartments. I wish I had that, too.
I have a laptop too and there is a Net connection in dorms but I won't be taking it with myself in the beginning. I will try to post in here during the weekends at first and later on we shall see ;pp
Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

I don't have any problems with my English accent 'casue I'm used to speak English since I was a child.
The problem now is my Arabic accent, I used to have friends from Lebenon, Egypt, The Gulf and Palistane. My Arabic now is so mixed that people don't now exactly where I am from :roll: .
hninsi

Re: Accent

Post by hninsi »

LennyeTran wrote:I believe most of us here speak English with an accent. Well, how bad do you want to get rid of your accent, so you would sound like a native English speaker?
So far I'm quite OK with my accent. Although my English is not very good, I can pronounce and copy the accent of the native speaker. I prefer American accent to British accent. I even try to read out loud to improve my reading skill and pronouncing skill. I think it helps.
sweets
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweets »

I really wish to have good accent but i do not know how may accent now is not accent at all :shock: it is a mixture of American and Britsh one :| and i have not any good source to have good acceent

GIVE ME A GOOD ADVICE :oops:
babara
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by babara »

sweets wrote:I really wish to have good accent but i do not know how may accent now is not accent at all :shock: it is a mixture of American and Britsh one :| and i have not any good source to have good acceent

GIVE ME A GOOD ADVICE :oops:
OH..Sweets, the same problem!!
Annaa
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Accent

Post by Annaa »

Oh my poor accent :cry:
If you don`t like me remember it's mind over matter..I don't mind and you don't matter..