Grammar is a waste of time.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby Guest » Wed May 18, 2005 6:46 pm

GiddyGad wrote: The less you know the more you are ignorant and arrogant.

Grammar IS important!!!

Sometimes, an individual knows too much and still is being an ignorant or arrogant. It could happen, don't you think?

Coolfish
Silver Member

Postby Coolfish » Fri May 20, 2005 2:43 am

It deponds on which level of English speaker you like to be. Only being a speaker, the grammar might not be so necessary.
To me, I'd like my English to be perfect. You must learn it without choice.

mrnadeemkhan

Re: Grammar is a waste of time.

Postby mrnadeemkhan » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:21 am

It is absolutely wrong, that the Grammer is a waste of time, because grammer shows us how to present the PAST , PRESENT and FUTURE, if you dont know the grammer exactly how you will specify something about time. and even the grammer makes your words sophisticated. So everyone talks should be with manners . right.
thanks

GiddyGad
Gold Member

Postby GiddyGad » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:36 pm

simplyblessedwithlove wrote:Sometimes, an individual knows too much and still is... ignorant or arrogant. It could happen, don't you think?

This I could not disagree with, Blessed. You never know too much. Again, if one says that something (s)he doesn't know and feels boring to learn is unimportant, isn't it arrogance?
We all are unaware of many things and, therefore, ignorant - it's true and goes without saying. But can you be arrogant in what you know well enough?
Last edited by GiddyGad on Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:23 am

GiddyGad wrote:
simplyblessedwithlove wrote:Sometimes, an individual knows too much and still is... ignorant or arrogant. It could happen, don't you think?

This I could not disagree, Blessed. You never know too much. Again, if one says that something (s)he doesn't know and feels boring to learn is unimportant, isn't it arrogance?

This is ignorance to me.

GiddyGad wrote:We all are unaware of many things and, therefore, ignorant - it's true and goes without saying. But can you be arrogant in what you know well enough?

Oh yes, definitely. Arrogance, ignorance or confidence is a state of mind showing through attitude. It depends on how much one thinks he/she knows about things and the way he/she's showing what he/she knows. Right?
Like people who think they don't need to learn English grammar for whatever reason and it's not important are ignorants to me. People who think they should not learn English grammar because their English is good enough are arrogants to me. And people who think they should know learn more English grammar although they've known something about it and their English are quite good are confidents to me.

RedRose

Postby RedRose » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:18 pm

For a native, grammer isn't so important, because he naturally know how to express himself clearly in english, but for a non-native speaker, grammer is so important!

sandra

Postby sandra » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:41 am

Hello, dear all!

If you don't have a good sense about how to use proper grammer.The thing you speak scattered.Teacher or Friends maybe would think it's ok, it takes time.But what if you do business with others?People would think you are unprofessional and they are tend to build up a barrier between you and them and feel reluctant to accept you.

What's more,if you don't spend time on leanring grammar,you could never speak as native and natural as you hope to be.

I said so cause i have a friend who learnt almost 10 years of english but still couldn't speak out a whole correct sentence.

:oops:

Coolfish
Silver Member

Postby Coolfish » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:16 am

RedRose wrote:For a native, grammer isn't so important, because he naturally know how to express himself clearly in english, but for a non-native speaker, grammer is so important!

I don't think so. It is also very important for a native speaker, cause he was not only just speaking to others. When he was writing or making a speech, a good grammar is necessary.

If we, non-native speakers just wanted to talk in English, grammar wasn't so important too.

RedRose

Postby RedRose » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:20 am

No, grammer is important.

for us, Chinese grammer is different than English grammer. if we don't know english grammer, then our english must be confusing. at least english speakers can't undertstand it.

Coolfish
Silver Member

Postby Coolfish » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:35 am

In my opinion, practicing is more important than garmmar in spoken language, whereas grammar is as important as practicing in written language.

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Re: I hate exams

Postby MissLT » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:05 am

Rosamunde wrote:I am a Chinese student.Though I like learning English,English tests at school is no fun to me.They emphasis too much on grammar,which makes us students feel bored all the time.

Still,we need to learn certain amount of grammars so as to learn the language more correctly, don't we? :wink:

I had a really good teacher during my first year in the U.S. She changed my ways of thinking why English grammar wasn't so bad and the more I tried to practice it, the more I'd love it. I mean, there are so many things to know. My boyfriend is Caucasian (who has passed all his English classes with an A 8) , by the way), but sometimes he has to think about my questions about English grammar. He's taken the language for granted; therefore, it strikes his mind sometime to think which and which should be correct :lol: .

shokin
Rough Diamond Member

Postby shokin » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:16 pm

Grammar is very useful for creating in each of us a language structure, a reference (an origin ?), whatever the language you speak.

But the meaning of the words can change (or not change), evolute, according to your using of these words. That is why the meaning of one word can be different from a region to another.

But the grammar structure does not change as fast as the meaning of the words. Once you've created a language structure into you it becomes difficult for you to change it. [But it is even more difficult to create a new language structure. That is why it is very important to communicate with the children (for them).]

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.

someone_cute
Silver Member

Postby someone_cute » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:22 pm

I don't Know why you love the sentence ( .... is a waste of time ) ..
May be u r a teacher and it is easy for you , so u said that ..
But for me ,, I think it is important even for speaking .. That's not mean that you have to memorize the structure but to know it in general at least ..
«®°•.¸.•°°•.¸.•°™ someone cute .•°®»

setsukaka

Postby setsukaka » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:17 am

TP wrote:We don't need to learn English grammar to speak English. Grammar is a waste of time.

i don't think it a waste of time, maybe for the native. Grammer help us to cteate the correct sentences and to translate.

natsu0713

Postby natsu0713 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:15 am

I don't think grammar is a waste of time. To me, it is worth of spending time on learning it.

If we want to express our ideas correctly or let other people fully understanad what we mean, we have to learn grammar. Otherwise, they may misunderstand us.

Besides, grammar is like rules of a game. If we want to enjoy the game, we have to know the rules.

If we want to find out the beauty of a language, we have to learn its grammar.

CityYoung
Gold Member

Postby CityYoung » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:05 pm

For me I think is very important beacuse How I make right sentence and i don't know the Grammar :!: :!: . also I learn english not just to speak I learn for every skills ( reading , writing , listening , speaking and grammar )

vahid

Re: unnecessary

Postby vahid » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:30 am

hello .
Yes i belive you . but before judging about the usage of grammer and how important it is we should look at our goal of learning a modern language .
if we are learning L2 for communication yes knowing the grammer basically is sufficiont . but in acadamic level we must know detaild information about grammer too .
for example it is a shame not to distinguish between thease two word . hear - listen

jeffcox
Gold Member

Postby jeffcox » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:48 pm

As an native English teacher, I think that students spend too much time worrying about grammar.

That seems controversial, and it really is.

A child listens, then learns to speak. He learns to read and then he learns to write.

I bet he learned to speak before he even knew what the word 'grammar' means!

I live in Brazil and I have learned Portuguese day by day, without taking any classes. Basically, I read and I listen to people. So, how did I learn? I simply try to repeat what I hear and read.

My Portuguese is far from perfect, that's because I have nobody correcting me, I have no grammar to fill in those small errors.

Grammar is important because there are always some doubts that we have about what we hear or read. But, generally students focus on the grammar too much.

Students often have difficulty 'accepting' a structure as an example and copy it.

If you know how we say things, and you understand it, then repeat it and modify it. Just like you did when you learned your native language. Grammar, then, just fills in the gaps!

So, grammar is important because it gives the necessary structure to the language. However, it's not necessary to know all the grammar in order to speak the language.

Openmind

Postby Openmind » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:41 am

Jeff, you've raised some very valid points here and I agree with you. Most people are struggling to 'accept' something new, they focus too much on the question why a certain grammar structure is correct. It's not important to know why something is correct. What really counts is the fact that you know what sounds good. Yes, you have to develop a feeling for the language. You need to know what sounds good and what doesn't. Don't try to learn grammar rules. We use certain phrases and expressions not because there are grammar rules. Linguists analyze the way people speak and when they detect a pattern, they 'create' a rule. So why waste your time with grammar? Listen to the way people speak, imitate and copy them until you fell comfortable using the exact same phrases they use. Try sounding like them. Do native speakers use their grammar correctly? Yes, at least most of the time. Are native speakers able to explain the grammar rules they follow? No, although they can use the rule correctly, in most cases they can't explain those rules. Why? Simply because you don't need to know a grammar rule in order to use it correctly.

Gwynfor

Postby Gwynfor » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:40 pm

TP wrote:We don't need to learn English grammar to speak English. Grammar is a waste of time.

And we dn't nid to learn kemistri to chow ou gum, kemistri is a waste of time. We need time to chow ou gum.

cuongviet

Grammar

Postby cuongviet » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:10 pm

As far as I know, many non-native English speakers are afraid of speaking english because they are worried about using wrong grammar. But in fact, to native Englosh speaker, grammar is not the most important factor to understand what other say. So if you don't know grammar well, it doesn't matter to communicate your ideas. But if you want to express clealy what you mean,you must know grammar well enough.

Return to “Talking Point Discussion”