TOFU

This forum combines the former Food & Drink and Health & Fitness forums. Post your ideas here!

Moderator: EC

Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

TOFU

Post by Shazzam »

I recently stayed with a friend in the country side. I had never tried TOFU before and was a little resistent. However I am now a convert. I love it. It really doesn't have any flavour it just absorbs the flavours you add.

Does anyone have any good Tofu recipes they can share?
Oriani
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Oriani »

Well, you can try this or maybe you can go to this one and select which of them you prefer!
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

I know this one is a bit oily, but I eat it when I'm bored.
deep fried tofu with spicy sauce

Or you can try this dish. Sorry, it's fried tofu again, but it's sure worth a try.
Cucumber and fried tofu salad

My mom has recently made this dish at home since she's trying to stay off meat and be a vegetarian.
Tofu and Vegetable Soup Mix
The other ingredients could be: chicken broth, tofu cut into squares, vegetables such as carrots, bok choy, mushrooms, green onions.

This one is definitely my FAV. *drolling drolling drolling*
Refreshing Vegetarian Spring Rolls
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

Lenny could you giv me some advices about Tofu. I know is an excelent resource to get protein, but I´m not sure if it is protein or aminoacid.
Sme people says too that is a very good product to reduce efectos of menopause.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Elba wrote:Lenny could you giv me some advices about Tofu. I know is an excelent resource to get protein, but I´m not sure if it is protein or aminoacid.
Sme people says too that is a very good product to reduce efectos of menopause.
I'm sorry I don't know much about tofu to help you here. I've heard that they're high in protein since they're made of soy milk. And this is what I've got from wikipedia.

Tofu is low in calories, contains beneficial amounts of iron (especially important for women of child bearing age) and has no cholesterol (a risk factor for heart disease). Depending on the coagulant used in manufacturing, the tofu may also be high in calcium (important for bone development and maintenance) and magnesium (especially important for athletes).

Protein
Tofu is relatively high in protein, about 10.7% for firm tofu and 5.3% for soft "silken" tofu with about 2% and 1% fat respectively as a percentage of weight.

The FDA granted this health claim for soy: "25 grams of soy protein a day, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, may reduce the risk of heart disease." One serving, (1 cup or 240 mL) of soy milk, for instance, contains 6 or 7 grams of soy protein.

In January 2006 an American Heart Association review (in the journal Circulation) of a decade long study of soy protein benefits cast doubt on the FDA allowed "Heart Healthy" claim for soy protein.[4] Among the conclusions the authors state, "In contrast, soy products such as tofu, soy butter, soy nuts, or some soy burgers should be beneficial to cardiovascular and overall health because of their high content of polyunsaturated fats, fiber, vitamins, and minerals and low content of saturated fat. Using these and other soy foods to replace foods high in animal protein that contain saturated fat and cholesterol may confer benefits to cardiovascular health."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tofu

I don't know much about these effects. All I've seen is people who eat vegetarian food around me do gain some pounds and look healthier.
yalee

Post by yalee »

here,tofu is one of best foods, it is made from soybean . in the country people often make it themselves. my mother often makes it herself. the fresh tofu is delecious. it can make the tofu soup or tofu dumpling, and the last means reunion, many people eat it in Spring Festival.