Shy to open the mouth

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

sunsun

Shy to open the mouth

Post by sunsun »

Hi, everybody.
I have a new manager who come from the usa, he can't spreak chinese. I need to communicate with him in oral english. It's so terrible, when I talk to him, I feel so nervous, just forgotten most words, even the normal sentences. I'm so shy to open the mouth.
I hate to meet him :cry:

Do you have any good methods?
Please help me :oops:
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

You've got a good chance :) to improve your English. If I had that chance, I would speak with him all day long :lol: rather than speak with my friend in lame English. So, just forget about your shyness and go to talk with him.
UFO

Post by UFO »

Hi sunsun,

you can think that you know his language, but he doesn't know any chinese. You are more advantageus because you know 2 languages. Maybe he wants to learn a little chinese and become shy to ask you to teach him a few words. And if you try to talk to him alone at first, you can reduce your tension. Good chance.. :wink:
sunsun

Post by sunsun »

Most times i think written english is much easier than oral english, so i choose to write e-mail. :oops:
Maybe it's really a good chance to me.
Cypress
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Cypress »

I think you should try talking to him in English. He will understand that it is not easy for you and appreciate your efforts (unless he is a complete jerk). You can always practice your English writing skills here with us, but you probably won’t have an opportunity to practice your speaking skills very often. So go for it! And good luck to you!
sunsun

Post by sunsun »

Thanks. Cypress, UFO, Xkalibur :) :)
This morning, I said "GOOD MORNING" to him. And when i went to his office, talk some simple sentences about the work with him. My face were so red :oops: , he seemed very friendly. Um.... It's a good beginning. Thanks all of you.
Next time it would be much better, step by step :lol:
nadiaSV

Post by nadiaSV »

Improoving comes with practice no one was born learned, so don't worry as u said just step by step :) and everything will be o.k :). So keep walking!!! ;)
Rui
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rui »

well, i couldnt agree more with other members when they say that just by talking you can start improving it, and besides they are also right about the knowledge he has of chinease, if he doesnt speak a word of chinease you might have your chance to help him a lot and receive some compliments :wink:
Khokha

Post by Khokha »

Hi,

What you know sunsun is more than what you speak so you have to prepare what you wont to say.

Good luck for (sunsun) and for everybody.
jrkp
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jrkp »

Hi sunsun!!!

Would you mind telling me why you´re so afraid to talk to him?. Why do you feel so nervous?. I don´t get it.

For my experience, I can tell you that it´s very frightening to talk to someone who can speak english better than us, specially if his native language is English. We tend to have those feeling because we are so afraid to make mistakes that we thought he is going to make fun of us, Am I right?. Is this your case?

Well, if that is your case, don´t worry about what he thinks. Tell him that you´re learning English and if he is a well-eduacted person, he will understand you and I bet you that he will help you. Whereas, if he doesn´t have good education, you shouldn´t care what he thinks either. Try to talk as slow as possible, in that way you can pronounce words better and he won´t have any chance to pick apart your English. But the key things is that you must talk..... Take advantage of the oportunity you have to practice your english.....
Khokha

Post by Khokha »

Hi sunsun,

I agree with jrkp. :)
ahmedxzxz

AN IDEA

Post by ahmedxzxz »

HI SUNSUN
I HAVE AN IDEA FOR YOU TO OVERCOME THIS PROBLEM WITH YOUR NEW AMERICAN MANAGER,,,FIRSTMWHEN YOU SEE HIM,,,GREET HIM POLITLELY,,,SAY,,OR GOOD MORNING ...OR AS THE TIME IS GREET HIM...AND BE QUIET AND CONCENTRATE ON ONE POINT TO TALK TO HIM ABOUT...I MEAN LET YOUR MIND CONTROL THE SITUATION AND TAKE CARE OF WHAT YOUR TONGUE SAYING,,,DON'T BE AFRAID,,,AND IF HE TALKS TO YOU AND YOU COULDN'T UNDERSTAND HIM,,,,TELL HIM POLITELY THAT YOU ARE NOT A NATIVE SPEAKER IN ENGLISH...I THINK HE WILL CONSIDER THAT POINT WHILE TALKING TO YOU...
Snowy*

Hi sunsun!!!

Post by Snowy* »

Hi sunsun!!!

Unfortunately I have same problem But with my teachers I'm so shy I always try to speak with them but I can't..

Actually I feel happy because someone has same my problem ... hihihihi

I know you will say I'm evil
Last edited by Snowy* on Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InLove
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by InLove »

I only afraid of speaking E with non-native speakers. To natives, It's so great owning to his/her correction grammar as you go wrong. :)