What is the latest book you have read recently?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

Shimami

Post by Shimami »

Now I'm reading "A Good Yarn" by Debbie Macomber, which is the story about the woman opend a new yarn shop and knitting class then three women joined the knitting class. I have already read the former book "The Shop on Blossom Street" which was written before "A Good Yarn".
At first I wasn't interested in these books but "The New York Times bestselling author" or comments to these books on web made me purchased.
I want to read these novels, especially women.
Shimami

Post by Shimami »

>I want to read these novels, especially women.

Correction
>I want women to read these novels.
senphoi

books, books, books

Post by senphoi »

oh, i just start to read a books, yet i dont know which one to read. how poor i am. on the contrary, im in vietnam, a small country, to find an authentic to read is easy, yet to bear the cost is a matter. i have no idea where to find a good book with cheap price. hehe...
Sen
senphoi

thanks

Post by senphoi »

hey Xana,
why do you all give me the articles of loan and equity? do you know any novles or short stories online?
thanks for your articles anyway.
Sen
jmiya

Post by jmiya »

I just finished reading the Harry Potter book ( half bllod prince). It was okey, but not as good as book 2-4. Im looking for more books to read not I dnt know any titles that are nice to read. If you have any suggestion pls feel free to inform me.i like adventures and romance books , but more on adventures like HP :)
senphoi

Post by senphoi »

well,i love to have a chance to read the book "the worl is flat". this book is recommended in the Opral show. i heard that it is great. however, i dont know where i can get the free version in the Net. to buy an authentic of this kind is not cheap in my place. hey do you know any site that can read this book?
thank you u guys
Sen
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

The last two books I read are L'església del Mar by Ildefonso Falcones and Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea. Right now I'm reading Gabriel Garcia Márquez's Cien Años de Soledad. I started reading it because of the good critics I have always heard about it, but the truth is I'm really bored with the book. Has anyone here read it?
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Dixie wrote: Has anyone here read it?
I have. I can't remember wether it was boring or not for me... but I definitely remember the book - that means the book really worth reading. It's just classics you can't evade...
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Tora wrote: I have. I can't remember wether it was boring or not for me... but I definitely remember the book - that means the book really worth reading. It's just classics you can't evade...
That's one of the main reasons why I am reading the book, it's a classic. I am aware of my "cultural void" and I want to fix it. I do like the book, but sometimes it's a little... blah! But one thing I am sure of is that I want to finish it.
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

I hope it wouldn't be that hard for you - as I know you READ books :wink: Another reason to be proud of yourself when you finish it finally
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Reading Delirium by Laura Restrepo, Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. So far so good.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote:Reading Delirium by Laura Restrepo, Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. So far so good.
Lennye you're reading three books at a time?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Actually 5. I've started to like to jump around. :twisted:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Isn't it a bit messy? :?
imad
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by imad »

The latest book I've read is : The Three Musketeers.
And now I'm reading a french book: quel gachis inspecteur by Exbrayat.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Dixie wrote:Isn't it a bit messy? :?
At first it was since it's been hard for me to remember and concentrate on anything lately. Can you believe I went around trying to figure out where my pen was when I just put it in my pocket like fiver minutes before? That's why I needed to practice my lazy brain again. And reading several books at a time has helped me. I have to remember where the last part I left off earlier and what it was about.
idalia
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by idalia »

"Flowers in the Atic"

Interesting novel...if you like this sort of literature :wink:
Cypress
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Cypress »

I had heard a lot about Ernest Hemingway’s works but never read something by this author. So I went to the library and intended to get a book called For Whom the Bell Tolls. It turned out that book is pretty thick, so I grabbed another book by the same author called The Garden of Eden. I guess I shouldn’t have done it. I didn’t like it at all :? . Perhaps one of the reasons is that this novel is incomplete. I probably should’ve read The Old Man and the Sea instead of this one.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Cypress wrote:I had heard a lot about Ernest Hemingway’s works but never read something by this author. So I went to the library and intended to get a book called For Whom the Bell Tolls. It turned out that book is pretty thick, so I grabbed another book by the same author called The Garden of Eden. I guess I shouldn’t have done it. I didn’t like it at all :? . Perhaps one of the reasons is that this novel is incomplete. I probably should’ve read The Old Man and the Sea instead of this one.
I read The Old Man and the Sea two weeks ago. Pretty ... boring? Maybe I'm not good enough for the book :D Anyway I have For Whom the Bell Tolls, too; haven't read it yet.

BTW I saw your wedding pictures. You both look great, congratulations! ;)
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

talking about Hemingway... I loved "Fiesta, and the Sun also rises"

by the way Dixie, not only LennyeTran is reading several books at a time. 5 volumes are really brain-training :) but I prefer just two - one for each language I know
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I can't... and I wouldn't want to... I prefer to focus on the book I'm reading at the time. Oh and I also read in three different languages so it would be even worse :?
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Dixie wrote:I can't... and I wouldn't want to... I prefer to focus on the book I'm reading at the time. Oh and I also read in three different languages so it would be even worse :?
As a matter of fact I'm really worried not to read all the books which are worth reading and watch all the movies which are worth watching during my poor life :D
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

Marshal G.K.Zhukov " Memoirs and reflections " (Moscow, 1985)
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Tora wrote:talking about Hemingway... I loved "Fiesta, and the Sun also rises"

by the way Dixie, not only LennyeTran is reading several books at a time. 5 volumes are really brain-training :) but I prefer just two - one for each language I know
I haven't found any good Vietnamese books to read lately. If I could, I wouldn't mind to read books in both English and Vietnamese as well. It's a nice challenge and interesting to see how languages can come across. Right now, I can only try to read French books that are suitable for 2-5 years old kids along with my other three English books. My French sucks big time that it's too embarrassing to tell what are the two French books I'm reading. :oops:
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Sometimes books for kids are enough specific and it's pretty hard to read them, I suppose. I haven't known you're learning French. this is a challenge itself. Right away I can't even think of learning another foreign language. I guess the older I am the more complicated it is to take up new language :cry:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Before and up til now I could guess the meanings of some French words since some of them are true or semi-true cognates compared to English. For the false cognates, I only need learn about their definitions and not the spelling. I think it's the same thing for other Romance languages as well. I believe you can be able to learn them since you have English as a foundation. The hard part is the speaking and writing. I suck at speaking French the most. Gosh, my accent is a pain from the behind. :cry:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Rasheed wrote:lastnight I read an english play "salome" by oscar wilde

it's good
I love Oscar Wilde!! However I haven't read Salome yet.

Last week I finished Marquez's Cien Años de Soledad (Thank dog!!) and right now I am reading La Clau Gaudí. Really interesting!
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

I'm reading now Marcel Proust "On Swann's way", this one is one of the most striking authors I have read by now. The language is very close to Russian classics I guess, what I call classics of course :lol: I must confess today I had tears in my eyes while reading - the thing that happens so rare this time :(
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

I remember a guy who answered the post above, but what on earth - his post has disappeared :lol: doesn't matter... this time I'm sunbathing and reading much, it was Stevenson In the South Seas and James Ellroy L.A. Confidential The last one mentioned consists of 725 pages, read in 3 days. I guess he's on the best detective story writer. The plot is tough, rough, but I've learnt one thing - there is nobody absolutely good or bad, it contradicts with my maximalism anyway :? :lol:
YAYO

Post by YAYO »

Let's see, I can not remember which was the last book that i read, but for me the best book that i' ve read in mi life was: the real true by Al Gore.
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

this is so depressing... because of my studies I haven't read anything in months! I can't even remember the last book I read ;> But I'm gonna start off with Nabokov's Lolita. :))
nightwish

Post by nightwish »

Cold Mountain- is the last book I've read recently.

it's a good book.
and it was filmed.
Qoo

Post by Qoo »

My lastest book that I read is Bleachers from John Grisham .
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

Remembering Mother Teresa Queen of the Poor
By: Sr. Leela Moozhayil, fsp :) and
How to Stop Worrying and Start Living
By: Dale Carnegie :)
Dexter
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Dexter »

I just finished reading the book The loving spirit by Daphne Du Maurier yesterday. It was a good one!
**Elena**
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by **Elena** »

As for me I just finished to read a book abt slaves (black slaves), abt their life, problems and relations with white ppl. I cant say the name of this book and author bcz a friend of mine gave me a print copy of this book and someone who make this copy forgot to made copy of first list with name of this story hahaha
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

**Elena** wrote:As for me I just finished to read a book abt slaves (black slaves), abt their life, problems and relations with white ppl. I cant say the name of this book and author bcz a friend of mine gave me a print copy of this book and someone who make this copy forgot to made copy of first list with name of this story hahaha
Самиздат?? :lol: I'm so sorry my english speaking friends :oops:

by the way I have come across several books after outstanding classical writers like Stendhal and Stivenson (told about it before), in those samples their travelling essays, scetches, observations and notes are gathered. Very nice reading indeed!
**Elena**
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by **Elena** »

When you want a novel you simply cannot put down , go to Sheldon!!!

I am reading now "Nothing lasts FOREVER" by Sidney Sheldon.
And also I read "If tomorrow comes" some time ago.

:?: Is here someone who read his novels too?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

I've read almost all of his books. Anyway, you can check here if you'd like to discuss more about his books.
iamvitaly

Post by iamvitaly »

My last book was 'The Abbay's way'. This book talks about famous kazakh lyricist Abai Kunanbaev. Great book! This great novel is translated into 50 languages! I think you can find it...
iamvitaly

Post by iamvitaly »

Really I'm not an expert of Kazakh literature, but something is interesting...
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

iamvitaly wrote:My last book was 'The Abbay's way'. This book talks about famous kazakh lyricist Abai Kunanbaev. Great book! This great novel is translated into 50 languages! I think you can find it...
so here is the poet whose monument was placed in the center of Moscow and I pass him at least 3 times a week :D
iamvitaly

Post by iamvitaly »

Hello, Tora... You're lucky! I didn't know that the Abai's monument was placed in the center of Moscow! It is something new for me... Abai is a legend in our republick, one of the greatest people who ever lived here... It's make me proud of my native land... :P
iamvitaly

Post by iamvitaly »

Hello, Tora... You're lucky! I didn't know that the Abai's monument was placed in the center of Moscow! It is something new for me... Abai is a legend in our republick, one of the greatest people who ever lived here... It's make me proud of my native land... :P
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

here is the image :wink:

frankly speaking I'd had no idea of him before they placed it :oops:
iamvitaly

Post by iamvitaly »

Tora wrote:here is the image :wink:

Frankly speaking I suspected it :D
What's your favorite author/book? May be I ever heard about him? May be I even read his novels...
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

iamvitaly wrote:
Tora wrote:here is the image :wink:

Frankly speaking I suspected it :D
What's your favorite author/book? May be I ever heard about him? May be I even read his novels...
:oops:
plenty of them! the one has been already presented in a specific topic here, in Books&Authors forum :oops: :wink:
zaman
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by zaman »

hello everbody here
i need a books in English espacially political books and romantic stories.
please if anyone have or know about the sites i can do download from it give to me and i will be very thanks to him or her.
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

The last book I've read is in english (despite I my mother tongue is french) : Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows !

Shokin
kovrov

Post by kovrov »

Hi everybody. I'm reading the wonderful book now. It is 'The Prince and The Pauper' by Mark Twain. I think he was ingenious guy(Mark Twain I mean)