How useful will wind power be in the future?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

TalkingPoint
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Post by TalkingPoint »

What do YOU think?
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
mamuta
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by mamuta »

There are lots of barriers hindering the development of the renewable energy sources in my country: legal and financial barriers, lack of information, difficult access to new equipment and technologies etc. For me important problem is to avoid conflicts with nature and landscape protection. There are a few single wind turbines around my town - and they're OK, but large wind power plant - I really don't know... :?
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: How useful will wind power be in the future?

Post by Vega »

TalkingPoint wrote:How useful will wind power be in the future?

What do YOU think?

Stocks of wind power more than a hundred times exceed stocks of hydraulic power of all rivers of the planet. I think that wind power will be useful for us if we will find ways how to reduce the cost price.
jeffatbohui

wind power is just a supplement source

Post by jeffatbohui »

I agree that wind power is just a supplement source. It is reported that wind turbines are very large in diameter, and they are becoming obstacles of birds migration. Small wind turbines could be a good energy source in some mountain or valley areas. On the other hand, small turbines cost more and are less efficient than large ones.
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

Cost of wind installation depends on many factors, including expenses for installation which can reach 40 % from cost of the wind-driven generator. Approximate calculations can be looked on a site of one Danish company which is engaged in promotion of wind installations as in the country and abroad.
engineer

Post by engineer »

Hi,

I will talk about my country. Many studies showed that there is no useful of using wind power to run machines,etc, because the wind speed is not enough to run all machines, tools, etc with high perfomance. Therefore, wind power will not be useful in my country future at least.

Thank you
jrkp
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jrkp »

Of course it´ll be a source of energy in the future, but not the main one and its develop is not as near as some people want to believe. You see, with oil prices go up every day, and to deal with that reality, it´s necesary to find other ways to generate energy and wind power has been proven as a very good alternative. Also, consider that mankind has started to take conscience about the environmental problem and this kind of energy is absolutely clean, which means that it doesn´t generate any pollutant substances.

I see 2 problems regarding this tecnology: the first one, as Xcalibur said, would be the prices of raw material to build the whole system. However, Science is developing new materials day after day, so in that order, I believe that sooner than later it will be created materials which production cost will be chepear enough to knock down wind farm prices.

The second problerm I see is that you need an especific wind speed to use this tecnology. As far as I know, you need a speed wind average of 16 Km per hour to take advantage more appropriately of the wind power and that´s is a pity because not all the countries fullfill with this requirement. Nevertheless, I am very optimistic that Scientifics will find a solution to fix this problem and turn this tecnology in a more accessible one.
mycroftsg

Post by mycroftsg »

Using wind power as an alternative source of energy will be a future trend, as wind power is environment-friendly and usually available. However, you guys are all right that creating the system to make use of wind power is really difficult and will take times and money, so researches on this problem should be cared seriously. Wind speed is not a huge problem, that depends on the size of the project in each country. Anyway i agree with jrkp, we believe in a bright future ahead.
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

it's very specific. In huge Russia there are few places where wind powers agregates can be located...
Splitting the atom... guys... splitiing teh atom - this is a sourse for the future when the oil&gas run out :D
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

Here in Estonia it will be hopefully useful in future. I have understand that here are some good places where to build them... though I have heard that they're kinda noisy.
maksoora

Post by maksoora »

What do YOU think?

I think yes, many country especially Europeans country tried hard to develop winds energy .such energy knows as friendly of environment, save earth fro pollution, and never stop running. A good example is Garman who produced electricity energy from wind and its proud of its. German builds a lot wind farm in its villages, cities, and near to sea. Its goal is to make less percentage carbons in the air about 40% in the year.
That all I have
Thank u TalkingPoint
I like this conversation
Am looking for new from u

:)