Your personal library

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

Melek
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Melek »

thats great,Rasheed,that u have read Koran so many times..Im gonna do it as soon as possible..people say that the more u read this holy book,the more views u find out...as for me,I dont like scientific books,but prefer to read the stories,novels about life,about everything...In my library there r plenty of books in Azeri,Russian,Turkish,English..but not soooo much as in yours...currently Im reading "pride & prejudice" by Jane Oustine..I found it very interesting..besides it all I like different quotes by different authors..
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Wow Rasheed you've got a really big library!! 3200 books are A LOT of books.

I don't have as many books as you, but I've got quite a few. Most of them are in English. The rest are in Catalan and there are some in Spanish. Most of my books are about teaching English but there are lots of fiction and essay works. I guess most of my books are classics (English and American literature). You would never guess my major! :lol:
imad
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by imad »

Hi Rasheed.
:shock: :shock: :shock: 3200 books, wow a lot of books.
And you have read THE HOLY QUARAN 400 times!!!! That's great.
The most books in my personal library ( but not a sea like yours :) ) is science fiction and science, and of course Islamic books like Houmoum Da3ia by Mohamed Elgazali, I like this book.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

:twisted: I have 7 books (Harry Potter series and Cujo) that I actually bought. I'm quite proud of them because I never thought I would own a book. I'm gonna have 8 books when the 7th Harry Potter coming out. I do own a lot of magazines, though. I have couple boxes of them.
Melek
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Melek »

Rasheed wrote:
Anyway, I have some prohibited books, but I hide them.

Then don't say it in public..
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Rasheed wrote:
Do you have any books of Ernest Hemingway?

By the way, when I wrote "Dixie wrote" I wondered what's if I write "Dixie said"???

I'll explain the Arabic meaning, it's a very interesting logical matter, but first I want to know your view.
Only 2 (for now): The Old Man and the Sea and For Whom the Bell Tolls. Why are you asking? Do you like Hemingway? ;)

The Arabic meaning of what? :D
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Rasheed wrote: But in Syria his books isn’t famous because he belong to “Ekhwan”.
Anyone belong to “Ekhwan” in Syria, he’ll hanged directly.

I don't know about the political situation in Syria, but, there are forbidden books? :shock:
InLove
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by InLove »

Any site provides e-book?
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

No forbidden books after the reformation.

Post by Bambang »

Dixie wrote:
Rasheed wrote: But in Syria his books isn’t famous because he belong to “Ekhwan”.
Anyone belong to “Ekhwan” in Syria, he’ll hanged directly.

I don't know about the political situation in Syria, but, there are forbidden books? :shock:

In Indonesia, there were several books prohibited to read before 1997. After the old regime fell down in 1997, everything is allowed here now.

People can say anything about the government. Criticism can be found everywhere, such as tv, radios, papers, magazines, and other media. Political, economical and social demonstrations are common things nowadays. They say no day without protest. It's something like euphoria. But it's okay. Democratic era, they say. Some protests are positive and constructive but some are baseless.

Lots of new organizations have been established. The forbidden organizations in the past re-appeared to the surface. Anybody could write anything they want.
No forbidden books anymore.

It's been 10 years now after the reformation era. Our country is trying to move forward as hard as we can. We are very proud because we could conduct the first general election peacefully in which the president was elected directly by all people. So, our president, Mr Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono is our first president chosen by Indonesian people. Before the reformation era, our president was elected by the elite (parliament and congress men).

Next election, uncle Bambang might run for the neighborhood chief election.
Ha ha ha ha ha…
I’ve no idea who will support me.
Maybe we can start it from EC members.
Ha ha ha…
Support me, a potential candidate to lead my neighborhood !!!
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

In my own library there are only one shelf of technical books. I read them because I am going to be an engineer. But my uncle has a pretty good library, about one room all of books. He reads a lot.
Rasheed wrote:Do you have any books of Ernest Hemingway?
I don't have his books, but my sister has. And today is Hemingway's birthday. I saw it on a TV program this morning...And as far as I know. he liked airplanes..
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Can't name it solemnly as a library, I have four bookshelves all filled with books, one is with educating books in several areas like Russian language, mathematics, history, arts and also dictionaries are included. The quantity of books I bought is close to 200, but also I filch some nice samples from my parents' room, the closer to me safer :lol:
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

Rasheed wrote:
Xkalibur wrote:In my own library there are only one shelf of technical books. I read them because I am going to be an engineer. But my uncle has a pretty good library, about one room all of books. He reads a lot.
I envy him..

I envy him too.
jrkp
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jrkp »

I don´t have a big library as Rasheed does, maybe I've got 50 or 60. I´d never thought about it. I have some technicals books and magazines, considering that I'm an enginner. Also, I have some books written by the some of the greatest writers of the world, such as Cervantes, Dante Alighieri, Goethe, Kafka, Flaubert, etc...

I've got books form latin american writers as well. I have books written by Borges, Carlos Fuentes, Garcia Lorca, Juan Rulfo, Julio Cortazar, etc.

And of course I have some books of Venezuelan writers, such as Uslar Pietri, Romulo Gallegos, Eduardo Blanco, Otero Silva, etc...
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

jrkp wrote:
I've got books form latin american writers as well. I have books written by Borges, Carlos Fuentes, Garcia Lorca, Juan Rulfo, Julio Cortazar, etc.
:roll: Latin American?
jrkp
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jrkp »

Dixie wrote:
jrkp wrote:
:roll: Latin American?
Yes, I know what you mean. The thing was that when I looked up at the dictionary the word "hispanoamericano", the translation was "latin american". I don't know why, but that the way it is. You can check it out by yourself visiting this webpage:

http://www.wordreference.com/es/en/tran ... oamericano

You're absolutely right Dixie :wink:. He was a Spanish writer and I shouldn't have considered him as "latin american"... But I don't know if there is an equivalent english word for that adjective...

Maybe Iberian american?

What do you think?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

jrkp wrote: You're absolutely right Dixie :wink:. He was a Spanish writer and I shouldn't have considered him as "latin american"... But I don't know if there is an equivalent english word for that adjective...

Maybe Iberian american?

What do you think?
How about just "Spanish"? :roll: :wink:
jrkp
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jrkp »

Dixie wrote:
jrkp wrote: You're absolutely right Dixie :wink:. He was a Spanish writer and I shouldn't have considered him as "latin american"... But I don't know if there is an equivalent english word for that adjective...

Maybe Iberian american?

What do you think?
How about just "Spanish"? :roll: :wink:
I didn't want to separate the Spanish writers from the latin american ones.... I've got to keep in mind that Spanish is not English and some translations simply don't fit... But you're right Dixie, that word fits perfectly..... Now, I suppose I should stop being so lazy and write a little bit more.... :oops:
RosioVM

Post by RosioVM »

Hello Rasheed!

I have 30 books. I have different kinds of books in my personal library...

I am studing law, is interesting that you too read about law like me. One of my favorite books is the stories of Edgar Allan Poe and the Bible.

Do you like read romantics stories or novels?
RosioVM

Hello!

Post by RosioVM »

What you want to know about law?...

:wink:

I am a student of law in the University, this is my four year in this carrer...

:D
Annaa
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Your personal library

Post by Annaa »

I don`t have lot`s of books,I have just 50 books :oops: :~: :cry: :cry: :evil: .
If you don`t like me remember it's mind over matter..I don't mind and you don't matter..
thomasz

Post by thomasz »

That's great! How long have you get your personal library? :?:
Annaa
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Annaa »

thomasz wrote:That's great! How long have you get your personal library? :?:

I really do not know exactly :oops: .
If you don`t like me remember it's mind over matter..I don't mind and you don't matter..