Moderator: TalkingPoint

TalkingPoint
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Reading in English is a waste of time!

Post by TalkingPoint »

Do YOU agree?
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

No, I don't.
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

Even though I would like to read from original sources, I couldn't learn all possible languages and since there isn't translated everything to every language, but there is a huge amount of interesting text in English. I can't say reading in English is waste of time.
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

It's absolutely not. By reading in English, we can enrich our English vocabulary. In addition to that, by reading in English we can get a lot of information because most information and knowledge are written in English . And most importantly, we can broaden our horizon by reading.

So,reading in English is a waste of time? No way !!!
wolfbike

Post by wolfbike »

Not on any account. Even so I live in Hannover, a German town, in many companies the office post have to write in English. Because of globalization many companies have contact to foreign countries and the only language all understand is English today.
Therefore in future you only will have a good chance with English and in my opinion the second language must be Spain.
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

wolfbike wrote:...in my opinion the second language must be Spain.
First of all, my friend, I'd like to straighten your opinion on "the second language". The second language means a language which you are using in communication besides your mother tongue as the first language.

As an Indonesian, my first language (mother tongue) is Indonesian. My second language is English. However, one of my friends, his first language is Indonesian and his second language is Arabic. He doesn't speak any English.

My point is, it's up to the people to choose their second language. Some people even only speak one language. It means they don't have any second languages.

Next, my friend. You can not force anybody to choose Spanish as their second language. Don't use "must" dude !!!

Everybody is free to choose their secong languages. And most people usually learn a second language because they need it. I am learning English as my secong language because I need it. If somebody thinks that English is not important for him (of course I disagree with his idea), still it's up to him. We can not force him to learn English. To him, English is not important in his life. We can do nothing buddy. It's his life.

Lastly, supernaturally speaking, English will be being used as the second language at least for the next 2 centuries.
wolfbike

Post by wolfbike »

Okay, „bambang“ ….you are right! Of course the second foreign language people can speak or learn is not their second language but their third language. Sorry, I thought I am here in an English forum and not in a mathematics lesson.
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

wolfbike wrote:Okay, „bambang“ ….you are right! Of course the second foreign language people can speak or learn is not their second language but their third language. Sorry, I thought I am here in an English forum and not in a mathematics lesson.

My friend, I am so sorry for you. You didn't get my points. Re-analise my post first dude, then give your comment. Make sure you have understood what my points were.

If you feel hard to understand them, don't hesitate to consult me on them. OK dude. Happy analising !!!
satisfaction

Hand up!

Post by satisfaction »

Hi teacher,

Well, i think that reading english is not wasting time because; in my openion there are two kinds of reading.

First kind: That you are reading a news paper, silently, without moving your lips, or hearing your ears.

Second kind: That you are reading carefully and with well pronounciation, and at this kind, i find that i can improving my talking skill, find out new vocabularies, and feel interesting with my new language.

Thank you :)
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

Fine dear satisfaction.

Keep reading !!!

Improve your English anywhere anytime possible !!!

Good luck.
satisfaction

Im here

Post by satisfaction »

Thanks bam bang
8)

I will
nightwish

Post by nightwish »

I don't agree with that!

English is an international language. Besides, it's so easy to learn it and great language. :!:
openboy

you said very good!

Post by openboy »

bambang wrote:It's absolutely not. By reading in English, we can enrich our English vocabulary. In addition to that, by reading in English we can get a lot of information because most information and knowledge are written in English . And most importantly, we can broaden our horizon by reading.

YOU SAID VERY GOOD!
nhinhilove

Post by nhinhilove »

"Practise makes perfect" I think that sentence is absolutely right, therfore we have to improve all the skill of English. Reading book is a way. And I don't think it waste my time, when you read, you can find the structure, the words that you forgot or unknown. Book is a friend who is really patient!!! :wink:
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: you said very good!

Post by Bambang »

openboy wrote:
bambang wrote:It's absolutely not. By reading in English, we can enrich our English vocabulary. In addition to that, by reading in English we can get a lot of information because most information and knowledge are written in English . And most importantly, we can broaden our horizon by reading.

YOU SAID VERY GOOD!

Thank you my son.

Psychologically speaking, you are a nice boy.
Robert

I think not

Post by Robert »

In my opinion, most of the students in Taiwan learn English with an extremely delicate way! For example, they often look up a dictionary when they don't know what a word means. Or memorize a lot of phrases(Dickson’s phrases or something like that, but they don’t use them in daily conversation. Therefore soon they’ll forget).
And they read just few books! From my perspective, reading a lot can help increase your vocabulary because the same words will appear again and again if you read many.
[/b]
mamuta
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Hand up!

Post by mamuta »

satisfaction wrote:...there are two kinds of reading.
First kind: That you are reading a news paper, silently, without moving your lips, or hearing your ears.
Second kind: That you are reading carefully and with well pronounciation, and at this kind, i find that i can improving my talking skill, find out new vocabularies, and feel interesting with my new language
Well said! :D I practised both kinds of reading and as for me it works!
novatena

Post by novatena »

In oder to learn english, it's impossible if you do not use english even in reading.
swet

Re: Reading in English is a waste of time!

Post by swet »

TalkingPoint wrote:Reading in English is a waste of time!

Do YOU agree?
Hi All,

I dont think so that reading in English is a waste of time.Rather reading in any language would never be a waste of time.Everytime you will get something new to learn,to read,which increases your knowledge,skill,ability and many more things.
Tinuss

Post by Tinuss »

How are you around the world? Here in Denmark we are now in full swing after summer holydays - but I have to be better to spell english. This is important.
basmla

Post by basmla »

hi every body

i agree with you all that reading english is very important for those who learn it as a second language . it is the best way to know the other cultures and communication as well as their way of thinking.
swet

Post by swet »

Tinuss wrote:How are you around the world? Here in Denmark we are now in full swing after summer holydays - but I have to be better to spell english. This is important.
Yes,you have to be..
but,are you..???
iamvitaly

Post by iamvitaly »

I like to read sort stories and jokes (espessialy from Elena)... I know that it's very important and helps me to improve my knowledge of English... My advice for you.... Read more :!: :!: :!:
skorpion

Post by skorpion »

TalkingPoint wrote:Reading in English is a waste of time!

Do YOU agree?
I think it really depends. If you're a beginner, it is a waste of time, cause you'll be guessing the pronunciation of a lot of words you don't know, and that'll just make your English hard to understand. Beginners should practice their English by listening a lot and then by speaking. When the learner has strong listening and speaking skills, then he/she can move on to reading.

If you're an advanced student, then reading should not be a waste of time... provided that you keep a good dictionary next to you so that you can always check the correct pronunciation of new words.

I hope this helps.
Lithium

Post by Lithium »

I don't agree .Reading in English and in any other language can't be a waste of time !
skorpion

Post by skorpion »

Lithium wrote:I don't agree .Reading in English and in any other language can't be a waste of time !
Well, it really can be. If you're a beginner then you're wasting your time, cause how are you gonna guess the right pronunciation of each and every word you read?
Lithium

Post by Lithium »

skorpion wrote: Well, it really can be. If you're a beginner then you're wasting your time, cause how are you gonna guess the right pronunciation of each and every word you read?
I look it up in a dictionary :wink:
Last edited by Lithium on Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
skorpion

Post by skorpion »

Lithium wrote:
skorpion wrote: Well, it really can be. If you're a beginner then you're wasting your time, cause how are you gonna guess the right pronunciation of each and every word you read?
I look it up in a dictionnary :wink:
And are you sure you're gonna learn how to produce every single English sound not found in your mother tongue? Mainly when you're a beginner? Not only that, are you sure that you, as a beginner, will be able to read the phonetic transcription of every word?

Look it up in a dictionary, but only if you have already developed good listening and speaking skills.

Otherwise, it's a total waste of time.
Lithium

Post by Lithium »

:D It isn't a total waste of time !

I'm a beginner and reading english helps me very much , It is not necessery to read long articles and books ... you see what I mean :wink:

ps:thanks for the correction
skorpion

Post by skorpion »

Lithium wrote::D It isn't a total waste of time !

I'm a beginner and reading English helps me very much. There's no need to read long articles and books ... you know what I mean :wink:

But are you sure you're learning to pronounce words the right way? What about intonation? What about tag questions? What about inflection? Those things (and others) are very important, and you can't learn 'em by reading.

Get my point?
Lithium

Post by Lithium »

Yeah ! Thanks
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

skorpion wrote:
Lithium wrote::D It isn't a total waste of time !

I'm a beginner and reading English helps me very much. There's no need to read long articles and books ... you know what I mean :wink:

But are you sure you're learning to pronounce words the right way? What about intonation? What about tag questions? What about inflection? Those things (and others) are very important, and you can't learn 'em by reading.

Get my point?

Cool.

Join these topics:

http://www.englishclub.com/esl-forums/v ... 813#328813
Bibina

Post by Bibina »

Well,
lots of my students have the opinion that reading generally, not only in English, is a waste of time. I must disagree, it´s a great way of learning vocabulary, you can see how the language works and you can also improve grammar.I believe that reading in the language you are learning is beneficial. Shortened versions of boks for different levels of learners are great, they are very motivating.
norhan

Post by norhan »

I don't think that reading in English is a waste of time. as we all know that now English is the global language .most of the greatest books wrritten in English so if u want to be an aware preson u have to read in English.reading in english isn't that easy u need to practise first and u practise by reading a small books at first cuz we all know that "practise makes perfect".so it's noy wasting for our time...
harryin

Post by harryin »

Well!
Here are the benefits of reading english:-
1. Increases General Knowledge.
2. Increases Practical knowledge of daily activities.
3. Source of information.
4. Sharpens your brain.
5. Incrases your concentration level.
6. Incrases vocabulary.
Last, but not least, Helps in learing the language.
vince90
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by vince90 »

Sometime it is. There are bad English writers out there.
milococosiro

Post by milococosiro »

English nowadays becomes the second language of many countries. When we talk about language, not only English but also the others, if we want to be an expert, we must practice. One of the most useful way is reading. I have the same opinion with harryin that:
Reading brings out many benefits. Such as:
+ improve knowledge (general and specific)
+ learn more about collocation (which is collected by reading because it isn't taught in classroom)
+ writing skill becomes more better.
harryin

Post by harryin »

milococosiro wrote:English nowadays becomes the second language of many countries. When we talk about language, not only English but also the others, if we want to be an expert, we must practice. One of the most useful way is reading. I have the same opinion with harryin that:
Reading brings out many benefits. Such as:
+ improve knowledge (general and specific)
+ learn more about collocation (which is collected by reading because it isn't taught in classroom)
+ writing skill becomes more better.
:D :)
Cunyeu

Post by Cunyeu »

if u want to improve ur English,u should read in English alot.this is one of most effective ways to learn E.It not only expand our vocabulary ,but also help us to speak E more fluently.So read in E alot,never think that reading in E is a waste of time. :) :)
meylenlau

Post by meylenlau »

If ones' proficiency of English language is weak,then the time spent on reading will be definately longer compared to those who are better.That's why they may have the perception: "Reading in English is waste of time"
If one really wants to learn and improve English,he/she really has to spend lots of time and efforts, as Rome was not built in a day!
A strong determination is needed.
brocoli

Post by brocoli »

English reading keep the language alive i think. I`m not of those people who love book reading but i can`t agree with your opinion.
trungkienb

Post by trungkienb »

[quote="TalkingPoint"]Reading in English is a waste of time!

Do YOU agree?[/quote]

well, you know what? to people who don't know english, reading in English is absolutely waste of time, because they can't understand.
but for people who are learning E, it's really useful, and definitely important. to write well, you hae to read a lot.
southrnpride

Post by southrnpride »

Reading in ANY language makes you more versed and intelligent if you read at a challenging level. English is no different. The more you read, the more natural the language becomes to you.

I find English, which is my native language, to be beautiful because there are so many wonderful ways to convey your ideas,describe your feelings, tell a story, and so much more. Most books I've read in English are so enthralling that you forget you're even supposed to be studying. (and perhaps it's like that in other languages, but the only foreign language book I've read is Pobre Ana, and it wasn't exactly a page turner....)

Keep studying!
gvantsa

Post by gvantsa »

NOOOO!!!! OF COURSE NOOOOT!!!!!!!

I LOVE ENGLISH AND I WANT TO KNOW IT WELL!!!!!

: )))))))
Wilhelm

Post by Wilhelm »

Reading english is great. I didn't read much english before, but i started for about 3 three years ago and I beacame much better after having read some books in english. But i don't know if it is best to practice grammar or read books to improve your english fastest :D
aznfantasii

Post by aznfantasii »

Pfft. Nah! I dont think so!

Learning how to read in different languages is actually good! :mrgreen:
&&trance
- -Dance To It
rcernar

Post by rcernar »

Hi!!

Well, if you ask me the reading is the best for learn any lenguage:English, spanish, italian, etc.
Any way for learn lenguages...is good!! :)
sweets
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweets »

Reading is a good way to improve enghish but sometime it's hard for us as second language but it does not mean that we have to stop reading in same time we can improve our enghlish in other ways t.v. and internet.

but as i think english reduce or destroy our mother languges people tend to use english expression in speaking in order to show superiorty and things like that

[u]so our mother languages as i think are in danger[/u]

see u
دخلت حياتي كنسمة وخرجت منها كإعصار
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

sweets wrote:Reading is a good way to improve enghish but sometime it's hard for us as second language but it does not mean that we have to stop reading in same time we can improve our enghlish in other ways t.v. and internet.

but as i think english reduce or destroy our mother languges people tend to use english expression in speaking in order to show superiorty and things like that

[u]so our mother languages as i think are in danger[/u]

see u
We are in danger if we can't speak English.
We're all friends, right?
sweets
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweets »

"We are in danger if we can't speak English"

well uncle Bambang iam not calling to leave english as a language but to take care about our national languages :|
دخلت حياتي كنسمة وخرجت منها كإعصار