What Are Your Favorite Quotations?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Krisi, Vega, EC

LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 6:26 pm

about ...Sheakspeare.

Post by LadyMacbeth » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:00 pm

Hello :)
For Shame! Shakespeare's era was, is and will be forever because the truths contained in his works are immortal and despite the huge amount of time that has passed since he wrote, the things he wrote about and emotions he exposed are simply timeless!
I would like to suggest one thing. My nickname is what it is but I would never ever tried to ...overestimate meaining of Sheakspeare in the world of biggest world's literature.

During his lifetime he was a successful author/actor in times where theatre was extremely popular. Many reasons of it.
Then he was forgotten for long, long times as far as I know.
Finally his compatriots found him to have someone who could beat all what ancient Rome has left till today.
Doth Brits have always been sure they happened to be the best people in the world.

Well... did they really beat all ancient big poets with one Sheakspeare? :roll:

But... but... they did the best business on his plays. That is rather no doubt to me. Rome's poets performances must have been not half as expensive as Sheakspeare's have always been! :(

LM

User avatar
illusion
Platinum Member
Posts: 829
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:59 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: Poland

Re: about ...Sheakspeare.

Post by illusion » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:43 am

LadyMacbeth wrote:Hello :)
For Shame! Shakespeare's era was, is and will be forever because the truths contained in his works are immortal and despite the huge amount of time that has passed since he wrote, the things he wrote about and emotions he exposed are simply timeless!
I would like to suggest one thing. My nickname is what it is but I would never ever tried to ...overestimate meaining of Sheakspeare in the world of biggest world's literature.

During his lifetime he was a successful author/actor in times where theatre was extremely popular. Many reasons of it.
Then he was forgotten for long, long times as far as I know.
Finally his compatriots found him to have someone who could beat all what ancient Rome has left till today.
Doth Brits have always been sure they happened to be the best people in the world.

Well... did they really beat all ancient big poets with one Sheakspeare? :roll:

But... but... they did the best business on his plays. That is rather no doubt to me. Rome's poets performances must have been not half as expensive as Sheakspeare's have always been! :(

LM

oh yeah, why did you ever choose that nickname? Do you want to follow your nickname's character's path?

LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 6:26 pm

hello illusion :)

Post by LadyMacbeth » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:05 pm

Hello all Sheakespeare's fans :)

Well... I would never ever tell anyone from Warsaw what should be done! Never ever indeed!!!

But what I like much more than my own gory personality are - for example - nice, fresh and sound Celtic poems...

I would rather cite them than my own words here or there (still not a single word about my deeds )! :ups:

So one of my favourite cites if anyone cares... :)

A Celtic Blessing

May the road rise up
To meet you.

May the wind be always
At your back.

May the sun shine warm
upon your face.

May the rain fall soft
upon your field,

And until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

A Celtic Prayer

Deep peace of the
running waves to you.

Deep peace of the
flowing air to you.

Deep peace of the
quiet earth to you.

Deep peace of the
shining stars to you.

Deep peace of the
Son of Peace to you.

LM

User avatar
Bambang
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1930
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 3:26 am
Location: Jakarta Indonesia

Post by Bambang » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:50 pm

I didn't mean to let the Shakespeare's fans down. However, let's analyse one of his "spectacular" work of art namely Romeo and Juliet.

At the end of the drama, we could see that finally the couple commit suicide in the name of love.

What kind of lesson can you give to the next generations? Commiting suicide is the best solution?
I would say that it's stupid instead of dramatic and touching ending.

Today's generation thinks that loving the opposite sex is everything. Life will be empty without that love. In some extent it's correct. But it's not totally correct.

Why not watch or read movies or books which can encourage us to face this life optimistically.

This is good advice:

DARE TO LIVE

instead of

LET'S DIE.



Ohhh... more advice:

Watch FEAR FACTOR or SURVIVAL. You'll be more realistic and optimistic in facing this beautiful life.

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Post by MissLT » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:59 pm

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." (Amy Tan)

User avatar
Krisi
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 4133
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:48 am
Status: English Learner

Post by Krisi » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:49 pm

Proverb:

"A great man is always willing to be little."

by: Ralph Waldo Emerson

User avatar
Bambang
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1930
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 3:26 am
Location: Jakarta Indonesia

Post by Bambang » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:51 am

krisi wrote:Proverb:

"A great man is always willing to be little."

by: Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yes, be a humble person.

User avatar
Krisi
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 4133
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:48 am
Status: English Learner

Post by Krisi » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:42 am

The best index to a person's character is
(a) how he treats people who can't do him any good, and
(b) how he treats people who can't fight back.


- Abigail van Buren -

User avatar
Tora
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1150
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:57 pm
Status: Other
Location: Moscow

Post by Tora » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:47 am

bambang wrote:
krisi wrote:Proverb:

"A great man is always willing to be little."

by: Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yes, be a humble person.
Since I have read "David Copperfield" I can consider an attitude of "humble" as mean, disgusting, cunning slimy Uriah Heep only... it is more a negative characteristic of a person for me now

but I love krisi's posted quote :wink:

User avatar
Krisi
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 4133
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:48 am
Status: English Learner

Post by Krisi » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:41 am

Tora wrote:
Proverb:

"A great man is always willing to be little."

by: Ralph Waldo Emerson
I love krisi's posted quote :wink:


Thanks. (I find you one among the great! :wink:)

Post Reply