What Are Your Favorite Quotations?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

What Are Your Favorite Quotations?

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

Don't you sometimes feel "stuck" to a problem or a no-win situation and you find yourself very depressed and unable to do anything? It even gets worse when you find nobody to talk to.

Well, I had gone through this a lot. One of the things that helped me is reading these lines every time I feel depressed. They're a part of a novel called" Robinson Crusoe" written by Daniel Defoe. It's a story of a sailor who was desolated in an island alone and with nothing to help him survive. Believe me! It will help you to see the bright side of any problem.

"I had now brought my State of Life to be much easier in it self than it was at first, and much easier to my Mind, as well as to my Body. I frequently sat down to my Meat with Thankfulness, and admir'd the Hand of God's providence, which had thus spread my Table in the Wilderness. I learn'd to look more upon the bright Side of my Condition, and less upon the dark Side; and to consider what I enjoy'd, rather than what I wanted; and this gave me sometimes such secret Comforts, that I cannot express them; and which I take Notice of here, to put those discontented People in Mind of it, who cannot enjoy comfortably what God has given them; because they see, and covet something that he has not given them; All our Discontents about what we want, appear'd to me, to spring from the Want of Thankfulness for what we have."

From "Robinson Crusoe" by Daniel Defoe
Chet Baker
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Chet Baker »

"If I lose my freedom, I would rather die."

This is my famous quotation and also my dream. :!:
vince90
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by vince90 »

Chet Baker wrote:"If I lose my freedom, I would rather die."

There is a quote on the vehicle plate from the state of New Hampshire says "Live free or Die". It's my famous quote too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_Free_or_Die
Chet Baker
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Chet Baker »

vince90 wrote:

There is a quote on the vehicle plate from the state of New Hampshire says "Live free or Die". It's my famous quote too.

Thank you Vince90. Unfortunately, how many people can live free? If you are an office clerk, you have to stay in office for more than 10 hours a day, you may have 1.5 days off if you are lunck. :? "Free" is too expensive for someone who don't have money to support themseleve and their family.
vince90
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by vince90 »

Chet Baker wrote:
vince90 wrote:

Thank you Vince90. Unfortunately, how many people can live free? If you are an office clerk, you have to stay in office for more than 10 hours a day, you may have 1.5 days off if you are lunck. :? "Free" is too expensive for someone who don't have money to support themseleve and their family.
At least you are free to choice to be an office clerk and work for the company you like. There are many people in this world don’t even have a basic human right. You’re lucky buddy. :D
Chet Baker
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Chet Baker »

vince90 wrote:
Chet Baker wrote:
vince90 wrote:

At least you are free to choice to be an office clerk and work for the company you like. There are many people in this world don’t even have a basic human right. You’re lucky buddy. :D
Yes Vince90, there are many people still living in the living hell, they may suffer from war or personal health condition. let's pray. :cry:
monic

Post by monic »

Best of all he loved the fall
The leaves yellow on the cottonwoods
Leaves floating on the trout streams
And above the hills
The high blue windless skies
Now he will be a part of them forever

Ernest Hemingway - Idaho - 1939

This may not be my favorite quote but this author besides is one of the best riders ever born his history was full of turbulent episodes...
"Many of his works are now considered canonical in American literature"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Hemingway
Melek
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Melek »

Gabriel Garsia Markes
13 aphorisms about life

1.I don’t love you for who you are, but for that who I am when Im with you..

2.No person in the world deserves ur tears &but who deserves, will never make you cry..

3.Only for the reason that someone doesn’t love u as u want,doest mean that he doesn’t love u by all his heart..

4.The worst way of missing someone is to be with him & to realize that he will never be yours..

5.Never stop smiling,even if u you are sad,coz someone will fall in love with ur smile..

6.A real friend is who will hold your hand & feel your heart..

7.Maybe in this world you are merely a person,but for someone you are the whole world…

8.Dont waste ur time on the person who doesn’t srive to spend it with you..

9.Dont cry that all have passed,but smile that it happened..

10.Always there exist people who hurt u…You must continue trusting people,but be a little bit careful..

11.Become better & u urself first understand who u r ,untill u meet a new one & hope that he will understand u..

12.Dont make so much efforts, all the best happens suddenly..

13.Maybe God wants us to meet not that person until we meet that sole person,in order we should be grateful,when we meet him..

p.s.my favourite ones!
sweets
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweets »

my faviourt qoute "TO BE OR NOT TO BE" it gives me the power to try make my life better :)
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

"Here I am. Not there. Not where I used to be or where I will be someday or where I wish I were. But here. In this place. Amid this specific circumstances. Here I am. Not as I was yesterday, or as I will be tomorrow or as I wish I were. But as I am. In this condition, this shape. With this particular thoughts and feelings.
Here I am, GOD."

This was shared to me. And I love it. I'm sharing this to all.
This has touched the very core of my heart and has given me a meaningfull life.
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

:D This is also one among my favourite.

"Always make room for beauty in your life; in your home, in your work, your leisure, your relationship, your prayer. No beauty no life. Beauty is essential for survival and growth."
milococosiro

Post by milococosiro »

sweets wrote:my faviourt qoute "TO BE OR NOT TO BE" it gives me the power to try make my life better :)
Is it quoted from "HAMLET"?

my favourite quotation is "Think all of what you say but don't say all of what you think."
sweets
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweets »

yes :D ihave quated it form HAMELT i like this play :lol:

cheeeeeeeeeeers
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

This is an excerpt from a book I have read,
"Carry on, no matter what happens. Hide your private sorrows under a smile and carry on." difficult though. Still shows.
In fairness, this is nice really. I like this.
Melek
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Melek »

10 things GOD won't ask on doomsday:

1...GOD won't ask what kind of car u drove,HE'll ask how many people u drove who didn't have transportation.

2...GOD won't ask the square footage of ur house,HE'll ask how many people u welcomed into ur house.

3...GOD won't ask about the clothes u had in ur closet,HE'll ask how many u helped to clothe.

4...GOD won't ask what ur highest salary was,HE'll ask if u compromised ur character to obtain it.

5...GOD won't ask what ur job title was,HE'll ask if u perfomed ur job to the best of ur ability.

6...GOD won't ask how many friends u had,HE'll ask how many people to whom u were a friend.

7...GOD won't ask in what neighbourhood u lived,HE'll ask how u treated ur neighbours.

8...GOD won't ask about the color of ur skin,HE'll ask about the content of ur character.

9...GOD won't ask why it took u so long to seek Salvation,HE'll lovingly take u to ur mansion in the Heaven,and not to the gates of Hell.

10...GOD won't ask how many people u forwarded this to,HE already knows ur decision.

Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

Here's another among my favourites;

"Life is a succession of lessons
which must be lived to be understood."
-HELEN KELLER-
Bazooka

Post by Bazooka »

" ... It is not important who I am, what I do will define me ... " I am really fond of this quotation.
(((Edu)))
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by (((Edu))) »

We don't need more strength or more ability or greater oportunity. What we need is to use what we have. (Basil S. Walsh)
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

GOD, Melek, you hurt my eyes 8)
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

"Life is a drama. Take and play your own role."

= Old Uncle Bambang =
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

"What a piece of work is man! How noble in reason! how infinite in faculties! in form and moving, how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension, how like a god! the beauty of the world! the paragon of animals! And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me; no, nor woman neither, though by your smiling you seem to say so."

"Hamlet" by William Shakespeare
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

illusion wrote:"What a piece of work is man! How noble in reason! how infinite in faculties! in form and moving, how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension, how like a god! the beauty of the world! the paragon of animals! And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me; no, nor woman neither, though by your smiling you seem to say so."

I love a quotation from Hamlet. I will look for it.

EDIT: Can't find it! Anyway it's the one that starts with Gertrude saying something like: "Hamlet, you have thy father much offended"...
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

Dixie wrote:
illusion wrote:"What a piece of work is man! How noble in reason! how infinite in faculties! in form and moving, how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension, how like a god! the beauty of the world! the paragon of animals! And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me; no, nor woman neither, though by your smiling you seem to say so."

I love a quotation from Hamlet. I will look for it.

Once upon a time, there was a nice curious uncle. He wanted to know about Hamlet. Then he bought a DVD entitled "Hamlet". It contained 3 compact discs. Then he watched the movie. He almost cried in the middle of the movie. Not because of the story but .... he needed more than 4 hours to watch it through. Finally he just watched the first 20 minutes, then 20 minutes in the middle, and 10 minutes at the end.

After that he put the DVD under his cupboard in the hope that he would never find it.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

bambang wrote: Once upon a time, there was a nice curious uncle. He wanted to know about Hamlet. Then he bought a DVD entitled "Hamlet". It contained 3 compact discs. Then he watched the movie. He almost cried in the middle of the movie. Not because of the story but .... he needed more than 4 hours to watch it through. Finally he just watched the first 20 minutes, then 20 minutes in the middle, and 10 minutes at the end.

After that he put the DVD under his cupboard in the hope that he would never find it.
OH my dog! Please read the book.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Found it!

Act 3, Scene 4

HAMLET

Now, mother, what's the matter?

QUEEN GERTRUDE

Hamlet, thou hast thy father much offended.

HAMLET

Mother, you have my father much offended.

QUEEN GERTRUDE

Come, come, you answer with an idle tongue.

HAMLET

Go, go, you question with a wicked tongue.

I just loved this part. Note that when Gertrude says "thy father" she means Claudius, and when Hamlet says "my father" he means his real father.

source
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

Dixie wrote:
bambang wrote: Once upon a time, there was a nice curious uncle. He wanted to know about Hamlet. Then he bought a DVD entitled "Hamlet". It contained 3 compact discs. Then he watched the movie. He almost cried in the middle of the movie. Not because of the story but .... he needed more than 4 hours to watch it through. Finally he just watched the first 20 minutes, then 20 minutes in the middle, and 10 minutes at the end.

OH my dog! Please read the book.

I don't even like dogs.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

bambang wrote:
I don't even like dogs.
How about books? ;)
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

Dixie wrote:
bambang wrote:
I don't even like dogs.
How about books? ;)

C'mon Dixie. I don't like books on dogs.

It's not Shakespeare's era any more.

It's Steven Spielberg's and Steven Hawking's.
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

Dixie wrote:Found it!

Act 3, Scene 4

HAMLET

Now, mother, what's the matter?

QUEEN GERTRUDE

Hamlet, thou hast thy father much offended.

HAMLET

Mother, you have my father much offended.

QUEEN GERTRUDE

Come, come, you answer with an idle tongue.

HAMLET

Go, go, you question with a wicked tongue.

I just loved this part. Note that when Gertrude says "thy father" she means Claudius, and when Hamlet says "my father" he means his real father.

source

yeah, I know what you mean. I've read Hamlet more than 10 times. I nearly know it by heart in English. It's the best tragedy that Shakespeare has ever created...I am so in love with Hamlet, his intelligence and wicked sense of humour. He was a very sensitive character and I couldn't stop crying when I read the scene of his death... "the rest is silence"
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

bambang wrote:
Dixie wrote:
bambang wrote:
I don't even like dogs.
How about books? ;)

C'mon Dixie. I don't like books on dogs.

It's not Shakespeare's era any more.

It's Steven Spielberg's and Steven Hawking's.

For Shame! Shakespeare's era was, is and will be forever because the truths contained in his works are immortal and despite the huge amount of time that has passed since he wrote, the things he wrote about and emotions he exposed are simply timeless!
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

about ...Sheakspeare.

Post by LadyMacbeth »

Hello :)
For Shame! Shakespeare's era was, is and will be forever because the truths contained in his works are immortal and despite the huge amount of time that has passed since he wrote, the things he wrote about and emotions he exposed are simply timeless!
I would like to suggest one thing. My nickname is what it is but I would never ever tried to ...overestimate meaining of Sheakspeare in the world of biggest world's literature.

During his lifetime he was a successful author/actor in times where theatre was extremely popular. Many reasons of it.
Then he was forgotten for long, long times as far as I know.
Finally his compatriots found him to have someone who could beat all what ancient Rome has left till today.
Doth Brits have always been sure they happened to be the best people in the world.

Well... did they really beat all ancient big poets with one Sheakspeare? :roll:

But... but... they did the best business on his plays. That is rather no doubt to me. Rome's poets performances must have been not half as expensive as Sheakspeare's have always been! :(

LM
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: about ...Sheakspeare.

Post by illusion »

LadyMacbeth wrote:Hello :)
I would like to suggest one thing. My nickname is what it is but I would never ever tried to ...overestimate meaining of Sheakspeare in the world of biggest world's literature.

During his lifetime he was a successful author/actor in times where theatre was extremely popular. Many reasons of it.
Then he was forgotten for long, long times as far as I know.
Finally his compatriots found him to have someone who could beat all what ancient Rome has left till today.
Doth Brits have always been sure they happened to be the best people in the world.

Well... did they really beat all ancient big poets with one Sheakspeare? :roll:

But... but... they did the best business on his plays. That is rather no doubt to me. Rome's poets performances must have been not half as expensive as Sheakspeare's have always been! :(

LM

oh yeah, why did you ever choose that nickname? Do you want to follow your nickname's character's path?
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

hello illusion :)

Post by LadyMacbeth »

Hello all Sheakespeare's fans :)

Well... I would never ever tell anyone from Warsaw what should be done! Never ever indeed!!!

But what I like much more than my own gory personality are - for example - nice, fresh and sound Celtic poems...

I would rather cite them than my own words here or there (still not a single word about my deeds )! :ups:

So one of my favourite cites if anyone cares... :)

A Celtic Blessing

May the road rise up
To meet you.

May the wind be always
At your back.

May the sun shine warm
upon your face.

May the rain fall soft
upon your field,

And until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

A Celtic Prayer

Deep peace of the
running waves to you.

Deep peace of the
flowing air to you.

Deep peace of the
quiet earth to you.

Deep peace of the
shining stars to you.

Deep peace of the
Son of Peace to you.

LM
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

I didn't mean to let the Shakespeare's fans down. However, let's analyse one of his "spectacular" work of art namely Romeo and Juliet.

At the end of the drama, we could see that finally the couple commit suicide in the name of love.

What kind of lesson can you give to the next generations? Commiting suicide is the best solution?
I would say that it's stupid instead of dramatic and touching ending.

Today's generation thinks that loving the opposite sex is everything. Life will be empty without that love. In some extent it's correct. But it's not totally correct.

Why not watch or read movies or books which can encourage us to face this life optimistically.

This is good advice:

DARE TO LIVE

instead of

LET'S DIE.

Ohhh... more advice:

Watch FEAR FACTOR or SURVIVAL. You'll be more realistic and optimistic in facing this beautiful life.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." (Amy Tan)
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

Proverb:

"A great man is always willing to be little."

by: Ralph Waldo Emerson
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

krisi wrote:Proverb:

Yes, be a humble person.
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

The best index to a person's character is
(a) how he treats people who can't do him any good, and
(b) how he treats people who can't fight back.

- Abigail van Buren -
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

bambang wrote:
krisi wrote:Proverb:

Yes, be a humble person.
Since I have read "David Copperfield" I can consider an attitude of "humble" as mean, disgusting, cunning slimy Uriah Heep only... it is more a negative characteristic of a person for me now

but I love krisi's posted quote :wink:
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

Tora wrote:
Proverb:

I love krisi's posted quote :wink:

Thanks. (I find you one among the great! :wink:)
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

I don't think of all the misery, but of all the beauty that still remains.
- Anne Frank -
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

Many of our disappointments and much of our unhappiness arise from our forming a false notions of things and persons.

-Abigail Adams-
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

Happiness is a direction, not a place.
-Syndey J. Harris-
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

Never take away hope from any human being.

By: Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

Happiness is a perfume, you can't pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

Ех nihilo nihil
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

Each day is a little life.
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

Don't be afraid to fail, don't waist energy trying to cover up failure. Learn from your failures and go on to the next challenge. It's OK.
If you're not failing, you're not growing.

H. Stanley Judd
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

There are many things in life that will catch your eye. But only a few will catch your heart...

-Ben Crenshaw
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

Believe you can and you're halfway there.

-Theodore Roosevelt