What Books Are You Planning To Buy Soon?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

JEROME

What Books Are You Planning To Buy Soon?

Post by JEROME »

:wink: Most often than not, we buy books only when we have enough budget. But if we are driven and we really want to read a good book, we have to do everything so that we could invest on that one book, or two, we desire. Now, what are the books that you heard are good and you want to buy at the soonest possible time? Why so?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: What Books Are You Planning To Buy Soon?

Post by Dixie »

Hi Jerome,

I already bought all the books I wanted to read. Well there's one, Ken Follet's World Without End, that my bf just bought for me as a present but he hasn't given it to me yet. I can't wait to read it, since I loved The Pillars of the Earth and when I learned there would be a sequel I was like yay!! :mrgreen:
JEROME

Post by JEROME »

Woah! Very nice, I didn't expect such a quick reply. Anyway, I hope you would have that book you were saying. As for me, I want to buy the book Night of Ellie Wiesel. I heard it's cool and inspirational. I know it would make me more sensitive and concerned with the issues of the world especially the disturbing and continuing problems on discrimination and waging of wars..
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Welcome Jerome! I see you have a thorough knowledge of English! I liked much reading your posts. Have a nice time here!

There was a book exhibiting fair in the end of Novemver in Moscow so I bought everything I was interested in and now I'm reading the latest book out of the pile I brought home from the fair. It is a biography of a rather famous and probably one of the most outstanding economists and politicians in Russian history Sergei Witte. Now I'm plannig to continue my learning about him by buying his own writings named "Reminiscences".
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

:? Why don't you guys borrow books at the library instead of buying them?
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

LennyeTran wrote::? Why don't you guys borrow books at the library instead of buying them?
I used to do it when I hadn't any income at all. I buy the books I want to have in my own library - for myself, relatives, kids if someday I have any :mrgreen:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

I used to think like that, too. I wanted to pass on my favorite books to my kids, but when I found out the library fund in my town is determined on how many people are interested in borrowing certain books. If not many readers want to borrow, for instance, fiction books, then we will have a smaller fund to buy those books. That's why I borrow books now although I like to support the writers, for they make their income based on how many books are sold. Yet, I don't want trees to be cut down if everyone owns books and none wants to borrow them at the library..... It's complicated. :oops:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote::? Why don't you guys borrow books at the library instead of buying them?
I live in a small town, which means the local library is too limited, at least for my literary preferences :(
JEROME

Post by JEROME »

LennyeTran wrote:I used to think like that, too. I wanted to pass on my favorite books to my kids, but when I found out the library fund in my town is determined on how many people are interested in borrowing certain books. If not many readers want to borrow, for instance, fiction books, then we will have a smaller fund to buy those books. That's why I borrow books now although I like to support the writers, for they make their income based on how many books are sold. Yet, I don't want trees to be cut down if everyone owns books and none wants to borrow them at the library..... It's complicated. :oops:
I know you are concerned with saving the trees especially so that the problem brought about by vast deforestation is still existing. But i posted this survey just for the sake of discussion of what book interests each of us who are here. The feedbacks that you would be sending me or the books that you would be suggesting would definitely affect my decision on what good books shall i purchase (or borrow, if needed) in the future. thanks for your comments though.
JEROME

Post by JEROME »

Tora wrote:Welcome Jerome! I see you have a thorough knowledge of English! I liked much reading your posts. Have a nice time here!

There was a book exhibiting fair in the end of Novemver in Moscow so I bought everything I was interested in and now I'm reading the latest book out of the pile I brought home from the fair. It is a biography of a rather famous and probably one of the most outstanding economists and politicians in Russian history Sergei Witte. Now I'm plannig to continue my learning about him by buying his own writings named "Reminiscences".

I just hope that my active participation here would bring me much more, sensibility and knowledge combined. thank you for the appreciation and I would look for that book anytime soon.. GBu.
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

I used to do that when I was in college. I was a library goer. When I came to the campus library, I didn't have to show my library membership card. The librarian in charge knew me. I just smiled at her/him and got in. Usually I borrowed four books at one visit. That was the maximum number of books students could borrow at one time. And we had to return them at the latest 2 weeks since the borrowing time. And usually I came back one week later or less.

The situation is different now. I am not a student anymore. I seldom read books. I usually read magazines and watch news programs on TV. And my current habit is reading morning papers every morning. Oh... one more thing, I just go to the book store once in a month. And usually I just buy one book or two.
We're all friends, right?
denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by denvinbo »

A science fiction book........... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

denvinbo wrote:A science fiction book........... :lol: :lol: :lol:
What's the title?
We're all friends, right?
denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by denvinbo »

I haven't thinking about that book's title, I'm planing to buy it........ :)
Annaa
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Annaa »

I don`t know.What do u suggest me ? :oops: :-D
If you don`t like me remember it's mind over matter..I don't mind and you don't matter..