Tell me about Pamplona Spain

Talk about travel, tourism and your holidays.

Moderator: EC

dreamyxo

Tell me about Pamplona Spain

Post by dreamyxo »

Is anyone from there or been there? I really want to go to Pamplona to run with the bulls. What can you tell me about it. I need to find out prices and make plans. Where's a good place to stay? Things to do?
Practice your English and get paid! find out how here http://www.mylot.com/?ref=dreamy1
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Tell me about Pamplona Spain

Post by Dixie »

What's so funny about running with the bulls anyway? :roll: A lot of people get hurt every year.
amaya

Post by amaya »

I am from Pamplona, which is a beautiful city worth a visit on its own, regardless of the time of year. It is the capital of the province of Navarre (an ancient Hispanic Kingdom), which is -just like all other Spanish regions- rich in history, traditions, and breathtaking scenery. To go there just for the running of the bulls is (in my opinion) downright silly. Lots of foreigners come who don't know what a bull is, how it reacts, and so on. They just prevent true runners from making daring runs in front of the bulls, with their horns almost touching them. So I'm writing this to discourage you from runnning the bulls. Besides, dozens of people get hurt, even killed- the last one was a 22-year-old American, Matthew Peter Tassio, who was gored to death in 1995. On the other hand, during those days there are plenty of concerts, dancing, eating-drinking-sleeping in the streets, lots of people from around the world each one ready for uninhibited madness. When I say drinking I mean really heavy drinking. In fact, Pamplona during San Fermín is widely known as the "Ciudad sin Ley" - Lawless City. It is worth a visit, it is a true international "Fiesta". But please, forget about those bulls.

Now someone wrote that the running of the bulls ("encierro") is despicable. I don't think it is. Bullfighting may be considered murder by animal lovers, but in the "encierro", bulls are respected and go unharmed. It is an exciting event provided runners are experienced, skilled, and you don't get the whole of the world population in the streets, which is what we have got over the last few years, especially at weekends.

Finally, for information about the fiesta and stuff, just go to google. There are hundreds of good, reliable sites, chat rooms, blogs, you name it.
dreamyxo

Post by dreamyxo »

amaya wrote:I am from Pamplona, which is a beautiful city worth a visit on its own, regardless of the time of year. It is the capital of the province of Navarre (an ancient Hispanic Kingdom), which is -just like all other Spanish regions- rich in history, traditions, and breathtaking scenery. To go there just for the running of the bulls is (in my opinion) downright silly. Lots of foreigners come who don't know what a bull is, how it reacts, and so on. They just prevent true runners from making daring runs in front of the bulls, with their horns almost touching them. So I'm writing this to discourage you from runnning the bulls. Besides, dozens of people get hurt, even killed- the last one was a 22-year-old American, Matthew Peter Tassio, who was gored to death in 1995. On the other hand, during those days there are plenty of concerts, dancing, eating-drinking-sleeping in the streets, lots of people from around the world each one ready for uninhibited madness. When I say drinking I mean really heavy drinking. In fact, Pamplona during San Fermín is widely known as the "Ciudad sin Ley" - Lawless City. It is worth a visit, it is a true international "Fiesta". But please, forget about those bulls.

Now someone wrote that the running of the bulls ("encierro") is despicable. I don't think it is. Bullfighting may be considered murder by animal lovers, but in the "encierro", bulls are respected and go unharmed. It is an exciting event provided runners are experienced, skilled, and you don't get the whole of the world population in the streets, which is what we have got over the last few years, especially at weekends.

Finally, for information about the fiesta and stuff, just go to google. There are hundreds of good, reliable sites, chat rooms, blogs, you name it.

Thanks for the info. As far as running I just want to run along side just a few feet not in front of them. :)
Practice your English and get paid! find out how here http://www.mylot.com/?ref=dreamy1
amaya

Post by amaya »

Hello!

Sorry to disappoint you: that is exactly one of the dangerous practices- dangerous for you and extremely dangerous for other runners, you should never do. It would take some time to explain why, I just don't want to bore other readers with bull behaviour details.

As you can see, you cannot just get there and run. People need information. The City Council tries to provide it with brochures, press ads and stuff... but both visitors and locals (myself, for one thing) are too busy drinking and dancing and having a great time to pay any attention to those. It's a lost battle.

All the best!