Do you like Gabriel García Márquez????

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

RCG

Do you like Gabriel García Márquez????

Post by RCG »

I like so much his books!!! Do you has read "Memoria de mis tristes putas"??
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I think it's Memoria de mis putas tristes.

I haven't read anything by him yet, but I recently bought Cien años de soledad. I will read it soon.
RCG

Hi Dixie

Post by RCG »

What others writers do you like read??
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I don't think you know them, they're from my country. Mercè Rodoreda, Isabel-Clara Simó...
RCG

Post by RCG »

They write novels or other type of literature??
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

RCG wrote:They write novels or other type of literature??
Mercè Rodoreda died in 1983. She used to write novels but also other types of literature, (short stories) as well as I-C. Simó, who mostly writes novels but also essays and short stories.

Mercè Rodoreda

Isabel-Clara Simó
RosioVM

Post by RosioVM »

Yes I like very much!!!
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

Woooowwwwww Miss Dixie, I must to read that authors.
I haver read García Márquez. I like too much. I have read too much latinamerican authors, my favorite is Borges. but I´ve never read nothing about Rodoreda and Isabel-Clara Simó. Tell me are they from Catalunia or from Spain???

I like Julio Cortazar too, and of course Carlos Fuentes (Mexican).

Now I don´t have much time to read at home, but at the office I have reading stories about Arthur the King, my favorite since I was 7 years old.
melip

Post by melip »

He is a great author, all of his books are excellent. I like very much one called "Cronica de una muerte anuciada", this book is awesome and it describes very well all the events that are happening.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Elba wrote:Woooowwwwww Miss Dixie, I must to read that authors.
I haver read García Márquez. I like too much. I have read too much latinamerican authors, my favorite is Borges. but I´ve never read nothing about Rodoreda and Isabel-Clara Simó. Tell me are they from Catalunia or from Spain???
Mercè Rodoreda was from Catalonia, Isabel-Clara Simó is from the Valencian country. By the way, I met the latter for the second time last month, she signed all my books and was very nice to me. She was surprised that I had so many of her books :D She asked, "Don't you ever get tired of me, honey?" :lol:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I finished Cien años de soledad last week and I was like, at last! :roll: In the end I was so tired of the Aurealianos... :lol:
quicksilver
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by quicksilver »

Dixie wrote:I finished Cien años de soledad last week and I was like, at last! :roll: In the end I was so tired of the Aurealianos... :lol:
I read about 200pages, then i wasn't patient enough to read that book. :(
Oriani
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Oriani »

Dixie wrote: In the end I was so tired of the Aurealianos... :lol:
I agree!!
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

Dixie wrote:I finished Cien años de soledad last week and I was like, at last! :roll: In the end I was so tired of the Aurealianos... :lol:
My boyfriend likes Marquez but he never told me what he writes about??? What's so great about his books? Are they really worth reading? Dixie, you and I have similar taste ;p Did you enjoy that book?
jrkp
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jrkp »

Yes, I like some of his novels, especially "Cronica de una muerte anunciada" (Chronicle of a Death Foretold) and "El general en su laberinto" (The General in His Labyrinth).
illusion wrote:My boyfriend likes Marquez but he never told me what he writes about???
He doesn´t write about an especific subject, I mean, you can't label his work as you can do it with others author, for example Stephen King or Agatha Cristhie. He's written about love, adventure, dreams, etc... He's written biografies as well. The only thing I know is that He's one of the biggest exponent of the "magic realism" in latin America. That's an literary trend which tend to present fantastic events as ordinary ones.....
illusion wrote:What's so great about his books?
Gee, That's depend on the literary taste you have and the way that they had been translated. In Spanish, they are good, but in other languages, I don't know.....
illusion wrote:Are they really worth reading?
Sure, why not. But, If you make up your mind and decided to read one of his books, you should start reading the smaller ones, such as "Love in the Time of Cholera" or "Chronicle of a Death Foretold". 100 years of solicitude could be pretty long.....
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

illusion wrote: My boyfriend likes Marquez but he never told me what he writes about??? What's so great about his books? Are they really worth reading? Dixie, you and I have similar taste ;p Did you enjoy that book?
I did at some points, but like I said I was pretty relieved when I finished. :roll:
YAYO

Post by YAYO »

Gabriel Garci'a Marquez are a pride for us the Latin Americans, his form to write is the source of inspiration of many people, within them I am included, nevertheless to many people does not like as he writes
sanjadz
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by sanjadz »

I just finished reading the book "Chronicle of a Death Foretold" (Crónica de una muerte anunciada) and found it interesting.
Oriani
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Oriani »

jrkp wrote:Yes, I like some of his novels, especially "Cronica de una muerte anunciada" (Chronicle of a Death Foretold) .....
Wow!! That's great!! I love it! I like to discuss about " Cronica de una muerte anunciada" other issue too. I think that one teaches us a lot. At the begining it was difficult for me to undertand the book and at the end I didn't know If Santiago Nasar was Angela's lover.
daizy

Post by daizy »

hi everybody,

i've already heard about him and his novels but i don't know how to get them , does anyone here know sites for his electronic novels ?? :roll:

thanks in advance,
jrkp
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jrkp »

Oriani wrote:....at the end I didn't know If Santiago Nasar was Angela's lover.
At the beginning, I was a little confused about that too because I wanted to know if Santiago Nasar was guilty or not. Then I realized that detail wasn´t important to get the mesage of the book. At the end It´s not important if santiago was the first man in Angela´s life, the important thing to understand is that everybody knew what was gonna happen and nobody did anything to stop it. My personal opinion is that he wasn´t guilty, but the key to understand that book is focusing our attention on the reaction of the people...
Orianí wrote:... I think that one teaches us a lot....
You´re absolutely right, That´s why I find that book fascinating... To me, the main message can be resumed in one sentence: "Misfortune makes us invisible". Sadly, that´s a big piece of human nature, which is perfectly described by Garcia Marquez in this book...

As you said, I´d like to discuss about it as well

P.S: Sorry for replying so late....
Aux

Garcia MaRQUEZ

Post by Aux »

I read him, he is very representative, of folklore of Colombia, in his place of birth he is called " Don Premio

I dont read "Memorias de mis Putas" How is it
gvantsa

Re: Do you like Gabriel García Márquez????

Post by gvantsa »

Cien años de soledad

i've read it :roll:
for truth,i don't like it :roll:

but i know a lot of people,who are crazy for Marquez :)
togather we stand,divided we fall.........

laa laaa laaaaaa........

: )))))
aabarcav

Gabriel Garcia Marquez ... Which of your books do you prefer

Post by aabarcav »

Gabriel Garcia Marquez is an excellent author! Tell me what your favorite book that has been written by him.. :D
aabarcav

Post by aabarcav »

I like very much!!! Is an excellent author!!!!!
BenM

Post by BenM »

She doesn't seem to be an English author. has she written anything in English. I wonder
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Gabriel Garcia Marquez ... Which of your books do you prefer

Post by Dixie »

I've just read one of his books: Cien años de soledad. I brought it out of curiosity because as you know it's a classic already and wanted to know what the fuss was about :lol:

I read it in Spanish and I didn't like it.