Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Earth Hour

Post by MissLT »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080330/ap_ ... lights_out

No wonder Google main page has been black. Too bad not many cities will participate, though.
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Earth Hour

Post by Krisi »

LennyeTran wrote:...No wonder Google main page has been black...
:lol: I suppose this is a joke, Lennye. :)
esl member since 2007
Cypress
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Cypress »

LennyeTran wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080330/ap_ ... lights_out

No wonder Google main page has been black. Too bad not many cities will participate, though.

My husband and I turned everything off except the refrigerator for that hour .
Did you, Lenny?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

I switched off the power in my bedroom if this counts. :oops: It seems like I'm the only one in the house who understands how much more going on once you turn your lights on. Everyone else like to have the lights on, even at 12pm. Every time I come home at 1ish pm I have to to turn all the lights off. I think I get this habit from my ex. The only light was on in his house was in the room he was in.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

I don't think it was. They even said they were honoring that hour. Now they main search page is back to white.
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

LennyeTran wrote:I switched off the power in my bedroom if this counts. :oops: It seems like I'm the only one in the house who understands how much more going on once you turn your lights on. Everyone else like to have the lights on, even at 12pm. Every time I come home at 1ish pm I have to to turn all the lights off. I think I get this habit from my ex. The only light was on in his house was in the room he was in.
Good Lennye... :) How about your computer, did you turn it off too? :wink:
esl member since 2007
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

here the news announced the earth hour when it had already passed into eternity - very speedily.

I know what does Lennye mean. At my university the light is on when it's 10am, when I turn it off girls will start whining "they can't see a thing". For sure my mates love me :mrgreen:
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

I missed that day. Next time I'll switch off something too. :)

I've just had an idea. You can just switch off your cellular phone for an hour on that day. It should be count because your battery will save the energy that would be spent if turned on. Good idea, isn't it? :)
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

Xkalibur wrote:I missed that day. Next time I'll switch off something too. :)

I've just had an idea. You can just switch off your cellular phone for an hour on that day. It should be count because your battery will save the energy that would be spent if turned on. Good idea, isn't it? :)
I think so! :P
esl member since 2007
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

Krisi wrote:

:P ...but it's better to switch off the light, TV set or similar equipment that consume more energy relatively to cellular phone battery.
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

Xkalibur wrote:
Krisi wrote:

:P ...but it's better to switch off the light, TV set or similar equipment that consume more energy relatively to cellular phone battery.
But you missed the chance right? I didn't! :lol: :) :wink:
esl member since 2007
Zooboy

Post by Zooboy »

Ohad,..

Yes, it is true.
Many of us think and wish to do a great/ major thing to make a change.
But actually even small things but if we do them on daily basis - consistently, too - they mean a lot !

Cheers,

zooboy
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

ohad wrote:That day was nothing but a gimmick.
I don't think so... :-| (It also costed them a lot of money doing that. That's not a joke...)
esl member since 2007
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

ohad wrote:That day was nothing but a gimmick.I look at it as hypocrisy.If we really care about our planet, we should make a daily effort in order to cause a change.
Everything has a beginning. You cannot jump into something and say, "okay, I'm gonna change it" and you'll change it in an instant. Small steps, some practice, little patience build big contribution. Doing something is still better than doing nothing. That's why I liked this idea because at least they/us wanted to change something.
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

LennyeTran wrote: Everything has a beginning. You cannot jump into something and say, "okay, I'm gonna change it" and you'll change it in an instant. Small steps, some practice, little patience build big contribution. Doing something is still better than doing nothing. That's why I liked this idea because at least they/us wanted to change something.
I can. But first I need a magic stick. :-)
Cypress
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Cypress »

LennyeTran wrote: Small steps, some practice, little patience build big contribution. Doing something is still better than doing nothing. That's why I liked this idea because at least they/us wanted to change something.
Well said. I couldn’t agree more
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

ohad wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:
ohad wrote:That day was nothing but a gimmick.I look at it as hypocrisy.If we really care about our planet, we should make a daily effort in order to cause a change.
Everything has a beginning. You cannot jump into something and say, "okay, I'm gonna change it" and you'll change it in an instant. Small steps, some practice, little patience build big contribution. Doing something is still better than doing nothing. That's why I liked this idea because at least they/us wanted to change something.
Yes, I agree with you, it's obvious you can't change things in one boom, but, and this is a very important but, we must have a daily continuity in what we do.You say that "they wanted us to change something", if they did and this supposed to be a begining as you say, then why aren't there more days like this during the year?Why not, for example, introducing a day like this once in a week or twice in a month, maybe once in six months? The 'green people' introduce us the expected catastrophe of the world if we don't do something about that, so what we do?We give the world a day in a year, a day, like this is really what going to bring the expected change, put it other way, we actually say to the world:'Here, take a day and let me have my Late'.I doubt the effect of creating awareness to the world's problems, and in general to every problem, that way, Maybe this is why the world looks like that.I can understand why you liked that idea, it's a fun one, it doesn't demend you to put too much effort, Google darkens its main page, othere countrys around the globe are also participating at the same time, so you won't be a "freak show" doing stuff like this alone.Is this the best we can offer?If after this trick we would have seen some benfit out of that... but we don't.We need to get more serious then that and stop this whole show thing.If we really want a change, we need, the world need, to join simultaneously to this effort by financing speciall projects with certain achievable goals, increased environmental educating from a young age, combining "earth projects" in schools and local communitys, annual environmental patent contest etc.Insted of declering 'earth day' why not declering on 'earth year?We should treat the world with reverence and respect and not with recklessness.I want to believe we don't use days like this in order to silence our conscience about what we do to this world.Trust me, you would benefit the world better by closing the water tap while washing your hands with the soap, or using the sink's water for irrigating your garden.

"In the time that the Holy One created the first human, he took him to all the trees of Garden Eden and said to him, ‘See my works, how lovely and praiseworthy they are, and all that I created, for your sake I created it. Put your mind [to this], that you don’t ruin or destroy my world, for if you ruin there is no one who will repair after you.” Kohelet Rabbah on Eccl. 7:13
Nice reply but I don't have time to say much like I used to. All I can say is people have been slowly doing what you said above on daily basics. Why do you think we've gone back time to appreciate organic things now, for instance? If you think this is a show, suite yourself. Let you live in your complicate world with your belief about changes and I live in mine.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Since I don't have much time to reply to your post and as this is a major issue in my opinion, I'd like to say that almost all your points are valid. Yet there's one thing really bothers me, don't you think your talk should be direct to people who don't bother to change at all? Instead, your criticism is towards people who make some commitments to change. Again, if this is a show, suite yourself. You're entitled to your own opinion. I personally believe that one day of doing something, even if it's only once a year, is still far better than not doing anything at all all year long.
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

I think for some countries this a last importance problem, I mean countries that in civil war, crisis, etc. But I don't exclude some enthusiasts who celebrate the Earth Hour even there. :-)
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

whatever it is... no matter what... whether the contribution/action is big or small the effect is good!!! the bad effect is only in the mind of the thinkers... and dependent on how one perceive things... :-)
esl member since 2007
denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by denvinbo »

Those stubborn person can be persuaded by words.....They need to see the actions....and the people do that actions....is our first..... :geek:
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

LennyeTran wrote:I personally believe that one day of doing something, even if it's only once a year, is still far better than not doing anything at all all year long.
I agree to this... :-)
esl member since 2007
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

ohad wrote:
'Earth hour' and 'earth day' are both great and usful vehicles for reenforcing awarness for enviromental issues.The thing is, awarness is already at the top of the globe's agenda, we don't need any more of it; it's time for action!
Are you sure?

ohad wrote:What have we been told so far?The world is getting warmer, the ice in the Arctic region is melting, the polar bers are loosing their life areas etc, so what we do?We turn off some bulbs once in a year AND we call it an effort.More then this, we even count it as something, as a little effort which is better then nothing.
It's only once a year yet not every country around the world practices it. Can you see the level of ignorance of people?
ohad wrote:In short, Earth Day has served its time, and it must go.
And what's next? Doing nothing at all? Not many people can even find themselves changing into a small thing like this you expect they can fit into big changes? I wish you well with this belief.
ohad wrote:
your criticism is towards people who make some commitments to change.
I don't think that people who turn off some bulbs once in a year can be categorized as "people who make some commitments to change".That's a very bold statement I have to say.In fact, I find it as an insult for those who really are committed for change, a reall change.
Fine, suite yourself. Give all the criticism you can give. It's a free world. I'm a big insult to people who commit to change because I LOVE this idea to dead, and I love to practice it every year. All in all, I'm quite tired with this debate whether this idea is appropriate for eco-friendly ideas or not. We're not on the same path if we can't share the same ideas. Let's keep it this way.
mathewhadley

Post by mathewhadley »

Earth Hour is all about the small changes that everyone is capable of making in their lives and building the Earth Hour ethos into each days living.
-------------
mathew hadley
buzz
JANETCUIFAURECIA

Post by JANETCUIFAURECIA »

today is a bad day, cause of a bad weather. grey sky, wind with sand. and people's mood are also not good. we need some actions to change the condition.
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

if I'm not mistaken, it's today when we are asked to turn off the electricity for an hour. It's pm 8.30 local time http://www.earthhour.org/home/ prime-time on TV... :mrgreen:
Rui
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rui »

sorry if i miss something important along this thread but i dont have the time to read everything,talking about the event of turning off all the lights across the world, i think that has to be seen more like a sign to your daily habits more than getting some results by saving energy for one our. however i agree 100% with these kind of ideas, sometimes we live so deep in our problems that we tend to forget the world problems, so congratulations to those that think about that and work to make it possible ;-)
searchlight

Post by searchlight »

I don't know whether Google was black because mine was turned off then...we celebrated the Earth's day in complete darkness feeling the beautiful Earth around us.