computer studies/ information technology

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

simplythebest

computer studies/ information technology

Post by simplythebest »

Hi again!

In a test on school subjects I found "computer studies", whereas in English Vocabulary in Use by Felicity O'Dell I found "information technology".Are they synonymous (perfectly interchangeable)?

Thank you very much
simplythebest
ETutor
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: computer studies/ information technology

Post by ETutor »

These two terms have become almost synonymous in English use. A small distinction could be made between the two in that computer studies would be an area of study or subject in school and information technology is considered more a career field. For example, computer studies could be your major in school and information technology is where you apply that learning. Information Technology is a much broader area too, covering webhosting, software engineering and anything related to that field. However, they are often used interchangeably today.
simplythebest

Post by simplythebest »

Dear ETutor,

Thank you for your prompt reply.
I totally agree with you as to the difference between "computer studies" and "information technology", and in a test I gave my pre-intermediate students titled School Subjects I used "Computer studies".
A friend of mine in Kent, the UK, argued that in the British National Curriculum the term is "Information &Communication Technology", whereas "Computer Studies" appears more often in relation to academic studies.
On Amazon I found a book "Computer Studies for your GCSE" (1985), and another one published in 1990 using the same construction with reference to middle schools' curriculum.
On a Google search I found "computer studies" used with reference to primary and secondary school subjects in Australia and New Zealand.
Is it possible that once frequently used as described above to have in the meanwhile changed its meaning and in contemporary English to be only related to the academic field?

Looking forward to your reply,
simplythebest not at her ... best! :-?
HelloSensei

Post by HelloSensei »

Though provoking post. My two cents....

In Canada, 'Computer Studies' would be part of the curriculum at some elementary, junior and high schools. Once you get past High School I see the term 'Computer Science' used as it refers to a degree or certificate program. Even though the day to day material would be similar.

Dan J.
http://dan.hellosensei.org/