Teaching sex education and religion in school?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

TalkingPoint
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Teaching sex education and religion in school?

Post by TalkingPoint »

Should subjects like sex education and religion be taught in schools?

What do YOU think?

More about Education
Evangeline

Re: Teaching sex education and religion in school?

Post by Evangeline »

I think sex education should be put in school curriculum. Nowadays sexual behaviours become more common among teenagers,as they think it's interesting to them and want to have a try.Students just want to search something exciting to do,therefore they try sex.And this has become a trend in our society that most students want to chase behind it. They don't see it as a serious incident. If this trend keep on rising, there'll be more teenagers become pregant before they finish their study.
Schools could teach teenagers more about sex in order to let students know more before they become mature. Becoming pregant should be avoid before students finish their study. Studying in school is their time for learning.
What do the others think??
englishhelps
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by englishhelps »

I am actually in the favor of teaching sex education in school. It's better that way since they spend more time in schools than at home. They're exposed to sexuality in schools being teenagers/youngsters. It's actually better that they learn it from a confined environment like a school where healthy discussion can take place.

Of course, parents should teach their kids about sex as well. Kids learning it from their parents and from school is a better option than them learning it from someplace else. Kids tend to "experiment" things that they don't know about.

As for religion, I think it's ok as long as they don't force it into the students. Everyone has a right to choose their own religion.
Planta

Post by Planta »

Well, sexual education is much needed. If it is too much taboo talking about pleasure, ok, just give it a "public health" focus and there will be tons of topics to be explained forever: diseases, pregnancy & responsibility, hormonal maturity, etc.
I believe that, exposed in an honest, broad, natural and principally open way, this could even mild a bit of the mystery and prohibition aura that makes sex so interesting to premature youngsters.
If the approach is broad enough, it will contemplate all cultural / religious backgrounds by mentioning them.
"Ok, people can start their sex life artificially too early, they can start when they naturally feel like regardless any background, they can respect their background and wait for a cultural/religious symbolical moment, such as marriage or adulthood passage rite, etc...
They can then do sex for pleasure, they can refrain from doing it and only use it as a reproduction tool, they can use it as a day-to-day exercise for energy and disposition, etc.
When doing sex, they may prevent pregnancy by doing this and that, or seek pregnancy by doing that and this, but there are DSTs, the matter or trust, etc etc"
... and so on. If it isn't broad enough, sexual teaching should be open and inviting enough.
Diversity, richness, rather than obscurity. Nobody will be forcing students into some specific way, but keeping them well informed in whichever way they choose.

The very, very same goes for religious studies : if it is to be approached, so make it universal, mention from the African Umbanda to the esquimos spiritual belief to Greek Mythology to Buddhism to the hardcore-Catholic Opus Dei. Even if there's only time to scratch the surface and leave rich homework up to the student's interest.
Here in Brazil, "Religious studies" usually mean "One more way to interpret the Bible". Ok, Bible, cool, but DANG, what about the whole humankind religious experience? The Coran, the Mahabharata, the Brazilian Indigenous mythology - at least cite their existence, let me have my insight, make my personal harvest!!

Otherwise, I dare say, it would be better to leave sex and religion unmentioned at school. I really don't see a mid-way that doesn't sound poor or somehow disrespectful.

Horny holy Cheers!

Planta.
englishhelps
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by englishhelps »

I agree. If they are going to teach sex in schools, it should be all about how to prevent pregnancies and diseases. They should also focus on the possible consequences of having sex. Like they can get pregnant early. They should never encourage kids to have sex or even describe how sex is pleasurable. Do it in an educating manner. They should focus on just giving information and be careful about sparking enough interest for the kids to start doing it.
englishhelps
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by englishhelps »

I studied in a Catholic school so it's a given that Catholicism was a way of life for us. It didn't really affect me since I'm Catholic. The good thing is they don't force it to non-Catholics. So as long as they don't force it on people, it should be ok.
Nanning
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Nanning »

In my country, if you don't teach them what sex is, many young people really don't know how to make love. There are extreme cases where young couples cannot have pregnancy ten years after marriages. After being checked by doctors, they are told that the wives remain intact (virgin). It turns out that the husbands has not done the work properly ...

Religion is something private, people with the same interest or faith can gather together talking about it or practising it as they wish. If it is a public school, no teaching of such things, please!

One more thing, do you check your spellings or grammar before you post your replies? We are here to learn English, not for fun, right?
englishhelps
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by englishhelps »

^Wow. That's weird. Yeah, I've heard about that but I thought it was just a hoax.

Yes we're here to learn English but we're here to have fun as well. Learning should be fun because it is fun!
Nanning
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Nanning »

englishhelps wrote:^Wow. That's weird. Yeah, I've heard about that but I thought it was just a hoax.

Yes we're here to learn English but we're here to have fun as well. Learning should be fun because it is fun!
Excuse me, but what do you mean by saying "Wow"? Is it something surprising you?

Why is it weird? Do you think sex can be taught by God or at home by parents or other elders? Mind sharing your experience in this regard and let us judge whether it is weird or not?

There are other sites where you can have fun, wrong English is not fun. We work hard and play hard, but do not think learning is fun, thank you for your attention.
englishhelps
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by englishhelps »

I was surprised that a married couple of 10 years didn't know that you're supposed to have sex to have children. I said Wow in the context of being surprised and it's also an expression of disbelief. It's like saying, "Wow! I can't believe that happened!"

I'm not contradicting what you're saying. I agree that sex should be taught in school.

Learning is fun because learning new information is fun. That's what I meant when I said that learning is fun. For example, you learned something new today. Isn't that fun?
Nanning
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Nanning »

May I know your nationality? I mean your English is much better than Mine.

Sex and sex education are different, we cannot teach sex at school, it is very dangerous, do you not think so?
englishhelps
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by englishhelps »

Hi. I'm Filipino and thanks for your compliment. :) Your english is very good as well.

I'm not saying that we should teach how to have sex in schools. What I'm saying is we should educate them about sex. We should teach them what the effects would be if you have sex. We should teach them about unwanted pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases.

This way, they'll have all the information they need about sex. Good and bad. They will probably learn about sex from their friends and peers so it's important that they will have guidance as well from their teachers. But first and foremost, it's the parents' responsibility to educate them about the "birds and the bees".
Nanning
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Nanning »

If people insist that sex education can be done in school, say, in China, the population is so big that single-child policy has to be implemented, what methods can be used in classroom? I don't think to give live show or video of something erotic is proper in this regard. Can we start some books and websites where students can find some guidance or examples?
englishhelps
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by englishhelps »

Hi Nanning!

I'm not saying that we show the act of having sex to the children. That's bad! What we can do is teach them sex education. We're going to teach them how babies are conceived, what the sexual organs are for, and most importantly, the possible consequences of having sex.

We should teach them that having sex at the wrong age and time can lead to serious repercussions like unwanted pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases. We have to at least discourage them from having sex. Most teenagers have sex because they're curious and they don't really understand the repercussions.
Nanning
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Nanning »

Hi, Englishhelps!
Since you are from one of the ASEAN member countries, I like to share something before going on to our topic.
Your president Alloyo in 2006 visited Nanning, China (my home town) together with other ASEAN heads of governments or states to attend the 3rd China-ASEAN Expo. My friend was in the reception team and gained praises from her majesty and later was personally invited by her to visit your beautiful country! Wow! Another friend of mine works now in Cebu Chinese consulate.
I myself translated a lot of advertisements of your country from English into Chinese during the past 5 sessions of China-ASEAN Expo.

Now, regarding sex or sex education, which is a permanent headache for educators, I agree with you to get students know what sex really is and the important significance of it in one's life. But HOW can we carry out such a big task? They have their own interests in sex, you try to distract them with morality or something boring, it will be much worse.
halfknot

Post by halfknot »

As a 16 year old Romanian highschool student, I think it's ok to be taught sex education in schools. We've been taught 2 or 3 years ago about this but the main reaction from the kids were laughs and pervert smiles. And however, I don't know any child who really needs this because we all have internet connection and someone to talk with if there is something questionable, but anyhow, there might be someone who finds it useful.

Religion is ok as long as it's optional. In my highschool, it's theoretically optional because no one really asks you if you want Religion as one of the school subjects. We are mainly orthodoxies and if someone has a different Religion he/she just miss that hour doing anything she/he wants while his/her mates are in the class. I'm not orthodox or any other religion member and I had to do a demand for getting rid of Religion subject. I was treated distant by the highschool headmaster being told that I can't throw up like this if the year has already started so I was forced to search on the internet different laws that can support me (as: they had to ask me and my parents at the beggining of the year if I want Religion. And they didn't.) Finally, I've completed the demand picking laws from internet and I've cut out Religion from my subjects list. The strange part is that I'm the only one from the entire school who did this but I bet if they were all asked to choose between a free hour and a Religion hour I wouldn't still be the only one.
I'm posting to improve my English. If you see any grammar/vocabulary mistake in my post, please let me know.
Nanning
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Nanning »

As a 40-year-old Chinese male who is eager to learn new tricks, I want to know how exactly sex can be taught in school. 16 years is not old enough to talk about that taboo in my country.
lyphan

Post by lyphan »

i think teaching sex education is essential. it helps people develop their knowledge about sex, so they have right conceptions, actions...not only when they are in school but also when they get married. They know the right ways to ensure a good life such methods of contraception and so on. A better life then.
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweethuman »

Yes, sexual education should be part of the lessons, as the youth can get better concept of it and know the pros and cons of it. It will help them alot when they get adult in implementing it in the better ways they can.
Elisa
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elisa »

I think we must teach FONDNESS EDUCATION. It is very important our children learn that sex is a
natural consequence of LOVE not a way of spend freetime. After that it is very important to teach them scientifically "how human reproduction works".

In my opinion, at school we have to teach the different religions have in common. This could help people to understand that all religion are similar and that we have to be more tolerant.
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweethuman »

Your are right elisa.
As far as the matter of education is concerned, we all better accept that Sex is a general fact, and it is with every human, not one or two. So it is better be aware of it, particularly while entering to the newly adult age. We will know about it whether earlier or later so it is better to be aware of it and know all aspects in this respect
cruimel

Post by cruimel »

teaching sex education- is very difficult subject , because there will be maybe special way to do it.I had sex education before in my school, but some of the girl's became pregnant anyway, so...it didn't help.
ishtiaqmetho

Post by ishtiaqmetho »

i am from Pakistan, in my country there is complete ban on sex education in schools and colleges. therefore mostly girls have not awareness about sex so they not care during sex and feel pregnancy after few months. this was great loss for their health as well as their reputation in society.
there may be must sex education in colleges and universities
hilaryprk

Post by hilaryprk »

I assert that school should provide sex education, which would help young people build a desirable image of sex, form an advisable attitude towards sex, and furthermore reduce the risk of unplanned teenager-pregnancies. Because I claim that education should be realistic and applicable to our lives, it should cover our current social problems such as sex abuse. Education is especially important to provide young people with accurate information about sex and to protect them from the flood of distorted information in the process of establishing the concrete foundation of safety.

However, I don't think that the school education will fix all the current problems related to sex abuse and crimes and protect all the potential victims and even criminals. Still, it will at least give young people opportunities to encounter the accurate information and to build morality and perspectives on sex. Furthermore, it will contribute to developing their ability to make decisions over their entire lifetime.
justaboy

Post by justaboy »

i disagree with the idea which say "Teaching sew education and religion in school"
why :?: because we don't need something like this , I will put questions : how we come to this world ? did my parents teached how to make love ?
the answer is clear .
whene you will answer to this questions you will understand what i mean .
Trantrung

Post by Trantrung »

justaboy wrote:i disagree with the idea which say "Teaching sew education and religion in school"
why :?: because we don't need something like this , I will put questions : how we come to this world ? did my parents teached how to make love ?
the answer is clear .
Make love to give a baby and make love to relax are different.
tandvictor

Post by tandvictor »

NO problem!!!!
Haravi

Post by Haravi »

In this advanced era, the teenagers are growing fast. The introduction and need of sex in this world is getting wild and vast. Unlike in older days, the teenagers by the time turns 15-16, many of them craves for sex. For them sex is nothing more than a pleasurable act. And they think being human they have the full right of it.
This leads to unplanned pregnancies and often females ends their lives in shame. We, in our CBSE Schools give the special teaching on sex to let the girls understand the bad tough plus the right age to sex and the precautions one needs to use.
I totally agree and support sex education in school. We have observed that the related teachings have brought good results in female's understandings.
CBSE schools in Amravati
jawad

Post by jawad »

ishtiaqmetho wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:49 pm i am from Pakistan, in my country there is complete ban on sex education in schools and colleges. therefore mostly girls have not awareness about sex so they not care during sex and feel pregnancy after few months. this was great loss for their health as well as their reputation in society.
there may be must sex education in colleges and universities
hi,i am also from pakistan and you are totally rieght
jawad

Post by jawad »

justaboy wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:24 pm i disagree with the idea which say "Teaching sew education and religion in school"
the answer is clear .
but the thing is,if they were taught how to make love and how to have sex and what will be its effect.so they had thought many times before having sex in which you were born or they would rather used condom to prevent you.
jawad

Post by jawad »

hi,i am a 16 year old teenager.i want to discuss the topic of sex so i can gather more information and can share mine.
anyone who also wants to discuss it can contact me through private message.
age fellow girl or women of any age is appreciated.
JayAF

Post by JayAF »

The brain works in such a way that cannot distinguish what's right or what's wrong. It works through experiences lived. Sex education should be included in the curriculum so that teenagers -and adults too- don't take as an example the content seen in X-rated films.
There are some other reason to do it, but in order to avoid bad sexual experiences, it should be talked and commented. Experts on the topic should be involved as well.

Religion, well, that's another story and I think much more difficult to deal with.
Jay Atticus Fielding
Murazik
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Murazik »

sex education should be in school, but not religion
As far as I was concerned Can't wait to see whatever movie they're filming in London right now.