Tips for Reading

Ideas and advice from EC members on best ways to learn English

Moderator: EC

englishhelps
Gold Member

Re: Tips for Reading

Postby englishhelps » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:25 pm

An additional tip is to read as if you're a part of the book. So when you're reading the dialogue by the characters, put some feeling into it. This way, you'll get some practice as if you're the one conversing. This will help you practice intonation and proper pronunciation.

englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby englishhelps » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:14 am

If you're practicing reading, be sure to encourage your friends to give you books or magazine subscriptions as gifts! It's thoughtful and very useful so you have a lot of materials to practice with.

englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby englishhelps » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:58 am

A good tip is to stop yourself from re-reading phrases and sentences. This can become a habit and can result to longer reading times. If it becomes a habit, it would actually result to lower comprehension.

englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby englishhelps » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:27 am

If you're reading a book, it's a good idea to summarize to yourself each chapter. Just talk to yourself on what the chapter is about. If it's easy for you, then it means that you comprehended what the chapter was about.

englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby englishhelps » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:22 am

Yes, it's a good habit to read the newspaper everyday. You can also see opinions and of course, it's good to be updated with current events as well.

englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby englishhelps » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:55 pm

It's also good to join a lot of forums wherein you can practice your reading and you can learn a lot at the same time.

Tukanja
Gold Member

Postby Tukanja » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:06 pm

Reading plays a great role in learning the language but both listening to and having words with natives isn't less important for sure.

clevermae
Silver Member

Postby clevermae » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:47 am

Yes Indeed! The more you read, the better reader you'll become and smarter too! So, feed your mind to read! :idea:

awrang
Silver Member

Postby awrang » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:15 pm

I agree as well , my English got better and better by reading a lot news and surfing the web! keep news heading... when you find interesting heading read up to the end...

clevermae
Silver Member

Postby clevermae » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:42 pm

So useful thread! How about having some fun here like "game" the most exciting part is when your playing while learning.

Oriani
Miss EnglishClub.com 2007
Miss EnglishClub.com 2007

Postby Oriani » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:11 pm

Reading is just a complex task! I remember my experiences during my British and Literature classes that I had to analyze novels, short stories, poems and discriminate the figurative language and etc... in MY case doing that was so annoying for me . On the other hand, during that process, I realized that everytima I had to read, I used my dictionary... it really worked. Conclusion: Reading and using a Dictionary help you to increase and improve your vocabulary as well as your fluency reading English.

easylsl

Postby easylsl » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:31 am

Thank You for these beneficial tips :)

metonymy

Postby metonymy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:47 am

Morpheem is a new web site for English learners. It will have a new, short text per day, like a short story or a news text, with definitions and you can discuss with other learners. It is free and will start in a test period soon; you can sign up to be a tester: http://morpheem.com

kimrody

Postby kimrody » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:43 am

Let's write something ... what should we read and why (newspaper, magazine, comics, book or poem ... etc) ? The advantages and disavantages? Should we read to catch the content only or should we write down all new words or something else? ...
omar

Mohsen
Gold Member
Location: No.7,Charso lane,walk down,You’ll arrive to the garden of sense,Naghejahan square,Esfahan,Iran

Postby Mohsen » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:38 am

Yaramaria

Postby Yaramaria » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:42 am

Many of my students shy away from reading. Mostly because of all the new words they see which they feel threatened by. I tell them to read the whole paragraph first and write down any meaning they understood from the paragraph, then to circle all the new words they did not know.

I tell them to look for their meanings and see if the whole context / meaning of the paragraph changed. :)

Return to “Learning Tips”