Ivy Eyes Editing: Creating a Resume!

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

IvyEyesEditing

Ivy Eyes Editing: Creating a Resume!

Post by IvyEyesEditing »

Hello everyone,

Whether you are applying to college, graduate school, or a new job, you will need to submit a resume. What is a resume? A resume is an advertisement that markets your successes to your specific audience. We wanted to outline a few major tips to help people that are creating a resume for the first time, or overhauling their old resume:

-In your bullet points (under each job title), use the 'Situation-Action-Result' method. For example, instead of writing 'answered customer calls,' you might write 'received customer phone calls and delivered superior service, leading to a 10% increase in monthly revenues.' It may be difficult to show a result for every bullet, but, when you can, use the 'S-A-R' method!

-$ and % signs can and should be used when possible--they stand out and emphasize results.

-Prioritize the bullet points in your resume according to their relevance to the company or institution you are trying to reach. If you are applying for a sales role, make sure the 'sales' bullet points under your previous roles are moved to the top and given focus.

-Start off bullet points with strong, active verbs. Instead of writing 'was responsible for...,' write 'developed/steered/managed XXX.....'

-Keep your bullet points concise--try not to exceed two lines and consolidate redundant bullets where possible.

-Proofread for typos and inconsistencies. Errors are the easiest ways for employers or admissions committees to eliminate your resume.

-After reviewing your bullets, put yourself in the resume reviewer's shoes. What does each bullet tell me? Will this person succeed at our school or company?

We hope you will find some of these suggestions useful. If you have any other questions about resumes or cover letters, please let us know!!!

Best of luck,

Paul
Ivy Eyes Editing
http://www.ivyeyesediting.com
*Email us for a free assessment of your admissions essay, resume or cover letter!*
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Ivy Eyes Editing: Creating a Resume!

Post by Vega »

Should a photograph to be applied when sending a resume?
IvyEyesEditing

Post by IvyEyesEditing »

Hello,

That's a good question. Generally speaking, and in most professional settings, a picture should not be included--some recruiters may actually find the inclusion of a photograph to be inappropriate. To start, recruiters first want to evaluate your career history, your skills, and your ability to communicate through your resume and cover letter. This will put every candidate on the same 'playing field.'

Of course, there are some industry exceptions where appearance/'presence' are highly valued; however, these industries will likely request a photograph upfront.

So, in short, wear your best suit on the day of the interview--and don't worry about submitting a photograph along with your resume and cover letter.

:)

All best,
Paul
Ivy Eyes Editing
www.ivyeyesediting.com
Ivy Eyes Editing
*Email us for a free assessment of your admissions essay, resume or cover letter!*
IvyEyesEditing

Post by IvyEyesEditing »

Hello everyone,

We have received various questions about proper resume format. Should my education be featured at the bottom of my resume? Should I include special skills, interests or hobbies? Should my most recent job/role be featured at the top of my resume? Should I include every major role or position I have held?

The format of your resume should reflect where you currently are in your career or educational track. For current students that may be applying for internships, education and anticipated graduation dates should be featured at the top. For more senior, seasoned professionals, education is moved to the bottom. These professionals may also consider which roles to feature (a 6-month stint in an unrelated industry might be eliminated), and sections like 'hobbies/interests' may not be as necessary. Remember, a strong resume is intended to be an efficient, effective advertisement that markets your successes. Even the most experienced professional should not have a resume that exceeds 1.5-2 pages in length!

At the end of the day, there are accepted standards for resume formatting and subheadings, but, they are very intuitive. Your most recent role (e.g., Microsoft Corporation, 2007-Present) should be featured first. This makes intuitive sense--the skills required of your most recent role should also be immediately transferable to the role to which you are applying. A 'skills' section may not be necessary for everyone, but for a computer programmer, a skills section is critical. 'Hobbies/interests' help to give your resume a human face, however, they should not detract from the focus of your resume--and many seasoned professionals may feel this section is unnecessary.

Many job applicants use a Microsoft Word template to start building their resume. Others may choose to build their own resume template. After considering your career track and the basic skeleton of your resume, remember to put yourself in the position of the recruiter/employer or admissions committee. Try to objectively evaluate your materials.

Your resume should be polished and compelling. There should be a balance of text and 'white space.' In terms of format and resume templates, always err on the side of formal and traditional rather than edgy and hip (even if you are applying for an internship at an alternative music magazine). A great resume can market your skills, demonstrate your business acumen and show that you are ready to 'hit the ground running.''

If you have other questions about resumes--formatting, content, positioning, etc.--please do not hesitate to ask!

All my best,
Paul
Ivy Eyes Editing
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#/profi ... ef=profile
Twitter: http://twitter.com/IvyEyesEditing
Ivy Eyes Editing
Player

Post by Player »

Xkalibur wrote:Should a photograph to be applied when sending a resume?
That is a good question, but it also depends on where you are. In some countries it's illegal for employers to ask for photographs. In other countries it's legal and normal for employers to ask, regardless of the occupation. If an employer legally asks for a photo and you refuse to submit one, you should consider for yourself what impact that will have. Personally I would imagine that your resume would go straight in the nearest shredder. :twisted:
IvyEyesEditing

Post by IvyEyesEditing »

Excellent point! You might also check out www.eeoc.gov or www.dol.gov for info on labor practices in the US.

All best,

Paul
Ivy Eyes Editing
www.ivyeyesediting.com
Ivy Eyes Editing