Culture Smart or Science Intelligent?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Nanning
Rising Star
Rising Star

Culture Smart or Science Intelligent?

Post by Nanning »

Now I am asked to write an essay, whose title is "Culture Smart or Science Intelligent?"
I guess culture and science are different in some respects but actuallly they cannot be separated.
The topic is too abstract, can anybody give more ideas? I think brainstorming is very helpful, thank you everybody!
IvyEyesEditing

Re: Culture Smart or Science Intelligent?

Post by IvyEyesEditing »

Hi there!

We'd be glad to give some input. Can you give us more information--the full question/prompt, and the type of class the paper is for (and also what level of study)?

Cheers,
Paul
Ivy Eyes Editing
http://www.ivyeyesediting.com
*Email us for a free assessment of your admissions essay, resume or cover letter!*
Nanning
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Nanning »

Thank you for your prompt reaction!
Well, it is supposed to be a speech given within three minutes. I guess it is something like Science and Art given by Mr. Huxeley 100 years ago, but the point is I am not a native speaker of English and I even do not have the real understanding of the topic, and I have to make the essay or the speech impressive enough, otherwise it is not a good one.
I am not sure whether I have made myself clear, but what I want is if you were in my shoe, what kind of essay would you write and what ideas or examples would you give?
Oh, help, please!
IvyEyesEditing

Post by IvyEyesEditing »

Hi there,

I found a small refresher about Huxley:

"In his speech at the Royal banquet, Prof. Huxley offered some suggestive and interesting remarks on the relations between science on the one hand and art and literature on the other. "...We speak in symbols. I am not at all sure that the conceptions of science have much more correspondence with reality than the colours of the artist have; but they are the symbols by which we are constantly recalling the order and beauty of Nature...acquiring a greater insight into the mystery and wonder which are around us...

Prof. Huxley maintained that the remedy lies in the recognition of "the great truth that art and literature and science are one, and that the foundation of every sound education and preparation for active life in which a special education is necessary should be some efficient training in all three."

For a 3 minute speech or short essay, I would suggest that you come up with several key ideas or 'talking points.' You might use this structure:

-Give brief background on Huxley, showing how he communicated in artistic/cultural and scientific circles, and thought it was critical to have efficient training in 'science and art and literature.'

-Draw parallels between your life and Huxley's. Huxley lived through two world wars. What environmental issues have impact on the way you think or communicate? How have your experiences and the technological age pushed you to think integrate various ways of thinking? How do different types of discourse--science, literature, etc.--inform eachother in your daily life or academic studies? What do you currently study--what type of skills does this discipline demand you use?

-Make a claim. Show how communication and education have evolved in light of Huxley's famous speech. Many new academic disciplines necessitate an almost 'scientific' approach. On the other hand, how is science informed by 'liberal arts,' and how do traditionally 'artistic' qualities like creativity inform science?

I would love to see the original prompt for this essay/speech--then I could give you even more specific guidelines.

Let us know if you have further questions--

All best,
Paul
Ivy Eyes Editing
http://www.ivyeyesediting.com
*Email us for a free assessment of your admissions essay, resume or cover letter!*
Nanning
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Nanning »

Thank you, Paul, for your help! It is very professional and will impress those panel of judges!

But here I like to point out that Huxley may be a good example to start with, but it is also a bad example because too many people know about him! I don't know how many people will have repeated his name before I come before the judges! Am I right?

Culture is a much broader topic than science, so here are some problems with the topic itself. I am not sure.

However, I will carefully study your suggestion because it is really amazing!

Have a nice weekend and I hope we can talk to each other from time to time!