Tips for Vocabulary

Ideas and advice from EC members on best ways to learn English

Moderator: EC

englishhelps
Gold Member

Re: Tips for Vocabulary

Postby englishhelps » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:23 am

Buy a good dictionary! While it will help you look for the meaning of words that you don't know, it's also a good idea to try to learn a few new words each day. What I usually do is open the dictionary by random and point to a random part of the page and then understand the meaning of that word.

englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby englishhelps » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:58 pm

I'll post in here some of the new words that I learn everyday. It's good to always have a word for the day.

voluptuary: A person devoted to luxury and the gratification of sensual appetites; a sensualist.

rojbanks

Postby rojbanks » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:55 am

Hi !! guys....!! i'm a student here... i read the suggestions regarding the Vocabulary
improve techniques.i usually fallow this tips,but During the conversation ,i can't remember the correct word or phrase.. i have to take time to actully remember it and put in right place in a sentences..it can't help me any way.. and off course there r much more diff. word in dictionary, which i could not differentiate well... any other ways?

Najlooolah
Silver Member

Postby Najlooolah » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:32 pm

learning needs hard worker..so I am trying to do my best ,but my problem is ...How can I use words in sentence....I asked my teacher about that ..and she told me" you need to understand the part of speech of the word first" can anyone explain that ? :roll:

SuMoNe
Silver Member

Postby SuMoNe » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:36 pm

Najlooolah wrote:learning needs hard worker..so I am trying to do my best ,but my problem is ...How can I use words in sentence....I asked my teacher about that ..and she told me" you need to understand the part of speech of the word first" can anyone explain that ? :roll:

I think she/he means that u should understand the meaning of words & their grammatical functions whether verbs/nouns/adj/adv ..etc..So u can put each word in the right position within the sentense & use it in a proper way..

Najlooolah
Silver Member

Postby Najlooolah » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:03 am

SuMoNe wrote:
Najlooolah wrote:learning needs hard worker..so I am trying to do my best ,but my problem is ...How can I use words in sentence....I asked my teacher about that ..and she told me" you need to understand the part of speech of the word first" can anyone explain that ? :roll:

I think she/he means that u should understand the meaning of words & their grammatical functions whether verbs/nouns/adj/adv ..etc..So u can put each word in the right position within the sentense & use it in a proper way..

:-? too much ...it's too much on me ...I wish If Icould do all these ..

SuMoNe
Silver Member

Postby SuMoNe » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:44 am

Najlooolah

yes u can..everything seems to b hard in the beginning..try to use dictionary as much as u can, & btw whenever u search for a meaning of a certain word u'll find the function as well, which will help u to use words properly in a sentense.. good luck :)

Najlooolah
Silver Member

Postby Najlooolah » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:18 pm

SuMoNe wrote:Najlooolah

yes u can..everything seems to b hard in the beginning..try to use dictionary as much as u can, & btw whenever u search for a meaning of a certain word u'll find the function as well, which will help u to use words properly in a sentense.. good luck :)

Thank U

Najma

Postby Najma » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:14 pm

Hi all of you

Different people have different tastes. The best way to learn vocabulary is to use and practice them. If you learn a lot of vocabularies a day, without using you will just forget almost

Sunnypk
Platinum Member

Postby Sunnypk » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:32 am

Usually dictionaries make you bore, when you take a heavy book of dictionary your mood just turned into sluggish and you start thinking how could I remember all vocab: so avoids yourself. so the way I would suggest you to read newspaper, stories, text books and listening and get words and try to use in your own way.
intend to take 3 words daily and make the use of in best way repeatedly. conduct groups and use their ur vocab: really it's effective way

Alfa

Postby Alfa » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:32 pm

I Think that one of the practical ways is to have a palm-paper piece . Then you write 8 words maximum in both front and back But not just words , they should be in context .After that , write the meaning in your own language (I suggest to be written upside down . Finally, put the paper in your pocket , and from time to time , pick it up and have a quick look at them . If you can get it back , that means you succeeded , If not, don't have another paper till you catch it write .
please if you tried this way , please send me a massage .

Alfa

Postby Alfa » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:33 pm

I Think that one of the practical ways is to have a palm-size paper . Then you write 8 words maximum in both front and back But not just words , they should be in context .After that , write the meaning in your own language (I suggest to be written upside down) . Finally, put the paper in your pocket , and from time to time , pick it up and have a quick look at them . If you can get it back , that means you succeeded , If not, don't have another paper till you catch it write .
please if you tried this way , please send me a massage .

anneparker

Lead Answer

Postby anneparker » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Hi, i really like the tips for English and you know after reading your tips now i can say that i can speak in English.

clevermae
Silver Member

Postby clevermae » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:39 am

It is often helpful to have some kind of "hook". Better be practice anytime as you memorize your vocabulary, never stop until you got that. I know it's so annoying sometimes but when your done it's feel like lighter to know everything!

DavidChoi

Postby DavidChoi » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:11 am

thanks Pirate, your advice is useful for me, and i will try it.
for me, number 2. try to read articles is very good way to memorize vocabulary.
actually, i have already been trying it now. It is feeling difficult but actually, effects to learn vocabulary.
and number 4. is also I agree it comes into effect. but it is so annoying, because I couldn't write the words that i don't know down all the times.
number 3 is I think It doesn't effect very well, and number 1. is the same also.
so, my point is number 2 is really very good way and i am also using it now. you can use it number 4 also. write the words down on your notebook.

nguyettall

Postby nguyettall » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:24 am

i learned about 20 words a day but i forget most them the next day. That is my trouble. I searched on the net and i found a lot of ways to learn vocabulary. Hey they affected me.
i really worry about my english. Now i try to learn english every time. I learn it when i am sleeping, cleaning housework and cooking.
i hope that my english will become better in the future.
If everybody have a special way, please will show it for me.
Thank you very much!

Oriani
Miss EnglishClub.com 2007

Postby Oriani » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:09 pm

nguyettall wrote:i learned about 20 words a day but i forget most them the next day. That is my trouble. I searched on the net and i found a lot of ways to learn vocabulary. Hey they affected me.
i really worry about my english. Now i try to learn english every time. I learn it when i am sleeping, cleaning housework and cooking.
i hope that my english will become better in the future.
If everybody have a special way, please will show it for me.
Thank you very much!

Hi!
It's normal for everybody to forget to many words studied ( not learned) per day.
The most important point is learning at least 5 words during an English class: Use them in context, practice them and use them all day long or at least during your English class with your teacher and classmates (or by yourself If you're not studying in an institute) so that you can stablish the knowledge, you got me? For example: Speech ; So, use that word in several sentences so that you CAN remember the meaning , the function and so on.
I hope this can help you.
Best Wishes.
Teacher Oriana.

manofalsubeai

Re:

Postby manofalsubeai » Thu May 26, 2011 10:20 am

Pirate wrote:Well, there are many ways to expand your Vocabulary, just we are sometimes not very sure which are suitable for us. Er ... so just try until you can find a way :wink:

1- 5 words a day! It's recommended by Josef. Hix, but it doesn't work to me. I used to try "Word of the day" provided by Kaplan, which gives just one word a day but along come some more synonyms. I couldn't keep up after 2 months! :(

2- Learn pages each time through articles. This stupid way unfortunately works well to me. I register newsletter, access the internet and read articles. Each long article often gives me about 40-60 new words ( :oops: ). It then takes a lot of time to pick out the new words, look up the meaning in dictionary, write down in a notebook, and simply read them again and again whenever I have free time. Check the progress by reading the article again without having to use the notebook. The content of the articles I read help me to learn by heart easier. Of course later I certainly forget some but some others still stay in mind! 8)

3- Sticky sheets of paper. I think this is quite interesting. Make some small sheets of paper, write down the word and stick it where it should be. Example, make a sheet of "doorhandle" and stick it on the door, right over the doorhandle so you will see the paper anytime you touch the doorhandle. But with this way you cannot learn verbs, I guess, and not too difficult words.

4- Learning with friends. Yeah, you and your friends make a list of words that you need to study this week, then check one another at weekend, ok?

What's your ways?

I agree with you . :ok:

Aaro

Postby Aaro » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:09 am

Hi..,
Nice post...,there are many ways to expand your vocabulary.But i think
idoms,my dear i think there is one best way to learn english.
kitchen calgary

tandvictor

Postby tandvictor » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:51 pm

well.i don't really understand that seeing a fine picture will make you good at vocabulary!how can u do that???

Oriani

Postby Oriani » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:13 pm

tandvictor wrote:well.i don't really understand that seeing a fine picture will make you good at vocabulary!how can u do that???

Throughout pictures or images you can take Vocabulary, for example: Nature, what kind of words you will find regarding to Nature? Animals, Ok, so, let's name some animals. Good. What else? Fauna , Plants, and so on! I just see it from that point of view.

Best wishes. {-:

Return to “Learning Tips”