Need book recommendation

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

Vokoban

Need book recommendation

Post by Vokoban »

Hello,

My mother has asked me to find a book that teaches english for a 12-year-old girl who lives in Italy and whose primary language is Italian. I am having difficulty with knowing where to start on this.

Can anyone recommend a book that would be helpful? It may not necessarily have to teach the language in the academic and systematic approach we are used to (though that would be very helpful) but it can be something where she can read it and determine context based on pictures or symbols.

I appreciate all feedback. Thank you.
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Need book recommendation

Post by Vega »

I recommend you Penguin simplified readers. There are various types of these books from beginner level to advanced. Apart from that, they are very cheap.
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Xkalibur wrote:I recommend you Penguin simplified readers. There are various types of these books from beginner level to advanced. Apart from that, they are very cheap.
Well, not in local bookstores. At least were not half a year ago. I guess, the cheapest books here are Wordsworth Classics' Edition, but actually I borrow books from American Center... and return :P

By the way, Vokoban, I was that age when I read my first book in English, I believe it was Gulliver's Travels.
Vokoban

Post by Vokoban »

Xkalibur wrote:I recommend you Penguin simplified readers. There are various types of these books from beginner level to advanced. Apart from that, they are very cheap.
First of all, thank you for your response. Secondly, I have personally never heard of these books so I'd like to ask a few questions, if I may.

Upon googling, it appears that these are regular novels that aren't specifically structured in any way to facilitate ESL speakers. Is that the case? Or are they specifically structured to teach the language itself?

I ask because I am worried about sending her a regular book (albeit with simple vocabulary) to read. I am not sure that she speaks even a word of the language so this may just seem like a 100 or so pages of gibberish to her.

Also, I may be severely underestimating people's ability to learn, but for some reason, I am steering more towards the baby books that teach kids of any background to read in general (like the books toddlers read -- 'cow goes moo' except more advanced than that, of course).

Can you please tell me more about these books and how they can help someone learn? I'm just worried because she is doing it all by herself so no one will be there to assist in translating and understanding anything if something is difficult and I don't want her to give up out of frustration.

Thank you for your feedback.
Vokoban

Post by Vokoban »

Tora wrote:
Well, not in local bookstores. At least were not half a year ago. I guess, the cheapest books here are Wordsworth Classics' Edition, but actually I borrow books from American Center... and return :P

By the way, Vokoban, I was that age when I read my first book in English, I believe it was Gulliver's Travels.
Thank you for your response. Please take a look at the response I have left for Xkalibur before you. I would like to know your personal experience with Gulliver's Travels. You see, as I mentioned to the other poster, she will be learning alone and she has no experience with the language at all. Do you think a book like Gulliver's Travels may be too overwhelming for her?
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

Upon googling, it appears that these are regular novels that aren't specifically structured in any way to facilitate ESL speakers. Is that the case? Or are they specifically structured to teach the language itself?
yes, these books are regular novels with some pictures. Often students use them in addition to studying English.
Also, I may be severely underestimating people's ability to learn, but for some reason, I am steering more towards the baby books that teach kids of any background to read in general (like the books toddlers read -- 'cow goes moo' except more advanced than that, of course).
I agree, baby books would be best for beginners.