What is the latest book you have read recently?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

User avatar
illusion
Platinum Member
Posts: 832
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:59 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: Poland
Contact:

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby illusion » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:35 am

I am now reading Coetzee's "Disgrace" :D

englishhelps
Gold Member
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:13 am
Status: Other

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby englishhelps » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:05 am

^Is it a good book? What's it about? I'm running out of books to read.

englishhelps
Gold Member
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:13 am
Status: Other

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby englishhelps » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:30 pm

I just finished re-reading "Playing for Pizza" by John Grisham. :)

User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Posts: 6337
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: Catalunya
Contact:

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby Dixie » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:33 am

englishhelps wrote:I just finished re-reading "Playing for Pizza" by John Grisham. :)


I own a copy. Read it last year and didn't like it. My mom, on the contrary, is a fan of Grisham, I believe she's read all his books.

A couple weeks ago I finished Paulo Coelho's The Winner Stands Alone, and now I'm reading Agatha Christie's The Secret Adversary. It's the first time I read Christie, and I like it so far.

User avatar
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 2249
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:59 pm
Status: English Learner
Contact:

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby Vega » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:03 pm

I am reading "The old man and the sea" by E. Hemingway. I like the book, however it's a bit difficult because of many new words.

englishhelps
Gold Member
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:13 am
Status: Other

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby englishhelps » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:06 pm

Dixie wrote:
englishhelps wrote:I just finished re-reading "Playing for Pizza" by John Grisham. :)


I own a copy. Read it last year and didn't like it. My mom, on the contrary, is a fan of Grisham, I believe she's read all his books.

A couple weeks ago I finished Paulo Coelho's The Winner Stands Alone, and now I'm reading Agatha Christie's The Secret Adversary. It's the first time I read Christie, and I like it so far.


Oh, your mom is a fellow Grisham fan! If she has a copy, I suggest you read "A time to kill", "Pelican Brief" and "The Firm". Those are my favorites. I like "Playing for Pizza" because I love sports and the story is different from what he usually writes.

I like Paulo Coelho. I haven't read that book though.

englishhelps
Gold Member
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:13 am
Status: Other

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby englishhelps » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:07 pm

Xkalibur wrote:I am reading "The old man and the sea" by E. Hemingway. I like the book, however it's a bit difficult because of many new words.


Hemingway uses big words for poetic reasons. But you'll learn a lot. Just Google the definition of words that you don't understand and you should be fine. :)

User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Posts: 6337
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: Catalunya
Contact:

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby Dixie » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:39 pm

englishhelps wrote:
Oh, your mom is a fellow Grisham fan! If she has a copy, I suggest you read "A time to kill", "Pelican Brief" and "The Firm". Those are my favorites. I like "Playing for Pizza" because I love sports and the story is different from what he usually writes.

I like Paulo Coelho. I haven't read that book though.


Well, since I've only read Playing for Pizza and Skipping Christmas I guess I can't judge. I loved the latter, by the way. If you say the former is different from his usual style, I guess I should give him another try ;-)

monaji
Silver Member
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:42 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: there
Contact:

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby monaji » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:18 am

I want to be professional in stock markets so now a days I'm reading ((technical analysis for stocks market))
the book is in Arabic in fact

User avatar
Stefi
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:00 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: Bulgaria

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby Stefi » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:38 pm

"Chasing Harry Winston"-by Lauren Weisberger-the bestselling autor of "The Devil Wears Prada".

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3939
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby MissLT » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:19 am

Reading The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown and I'm falling asleep here. He's lost his touch!!!

User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Posts: 6337
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: Catalunya
Contact:

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby Dixie » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:45 pm

MissLT wrote:Reading The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown and I'm falling asleep here. He's lost his touch!!!


Is that his new book? I didn't know it was out!

User avatar
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 2249
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:59 pm
Status: English Learner
Contact:

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby Vega » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:30 pm

Is that his new book? I didn't know it was out!


Yes, it is his new book...about freemasonry and the like. :-)

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3939
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby MissLT » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:25 am

Xkalibur wrote:
Is that his new book? I didn't know it was out!


Yes, it is his new book...about freemasonry and the like. :-)

Yeah, I have Kindle, so AZ usually send me updates of new books. I had it preordered because I wanted to know what he was up this time. It's a disappointment, I guess. I shoulda ordered the Magician's Elephant. I heard this book is very good despite it's a children book. Again, all the books I've enjoyed seem to fall into children section.

His book bored me yesterday, so I went to AZ to check out the reviews and found this hilarious one.

http://www.amazon.com/review/RADQDJ5DJ0 ... hisHelpful

If you read the book, you'd see why. It's something I wouldn't suggest you to do, though. Nevertheless, maybe your taste is different than mine since you enjoyed the DaVinci Code which I didn't.

User avatar
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 2249
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:59 pm
Status: English Learner
Contact:

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby Vega » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:45 pm

MissLT wrote:If you read the book, you'd see why. It's something I wouldn't suggest you to do, though. Nevertheless, maybe your taste is different than mine since you enjoyed the DaVinci Code which I didn't.


No, I haven't read the book. I simply watched a report on TV.
I have never read Brown's books, I prefer classics.

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3939
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby MissLT » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:50 am

Xkalibur wrote:
MissLT wrote:If you read the book, you'd see why. It's something I wouldn't suggest you to do, though. Nevertheless, maybe your taste is different than mine since you enjoyed the DaVinci Code which I didn't.


No, I haven't read the book. I simply watched a report on TV.
I have never read Brown's books, I prefer classics.

I would give this Lost Symbol book 2 or 2.5 out of 5, so if I were you, I would wait for the book to be on sale or buy it in paperback. If I knew it was this bad, I wouldda waited for about two years and then bought it in paperback for the price of $4, including taxes. I paid $9.99 for my Kindle version. I just can't help thinking of the money I couldda saved. :roll:

User avatar
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 2249
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:59 pm
Status: English Learner
Contact:

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby Vega » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:09 am

MissLT wrote:I would give this Lost Symbol book 2 or 2.5 out of 5, so if I were you, I would wait for the book to be on sale or buy it in paperback. If I knew it was this bad, I wouldda waited for about two years and then bought it in paperback for the price of $4, including taxes. I paid $9.99 for my Kindle version. I just can't help thinking of the money I couldda saved. :roll:


As far as I now, in Russia Brown's new book will issue in December.

P.S.
What is the paperback? Do you return it back after reading? :-)

-----

Now I am reading a novel "Mont-Oriol" written by French novelist Guy de Maupassant.

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3939
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby MissLT » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:17 am

Are you planning to buy it?

What's a paperback book? Did you check the dictionary? I really don't know what's the definition they have for it, but from what I understand paperback book is a book that is printed on cheap quality paper, and the price is cheaper than that of a hardcover book because of the differences in covers. Hardcover books are sometimes used as a collection. People don't normally do that with paperback books (you don't wanna look cheap and crazy, do you :lol: ). Also, most paperback books are small, pocket size. They're convenient to read while on the plane. The ink is easily smudged. The font is super small. The bottom line is it's a read-and-throw-away book to me.

Yeah, you'll return it after reading if you borrow one at the local library or bought it by accident at a bookstore. Otherwise, it's yours to keep. I keep my hardcover books as my collection whilte donating the paperback ones to the library. It's hard to keep the paperbacks for long since after a period of time the ink will start to fade due to the cheap quality paper.

greetethomas
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:34 am
Status: Other

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby greetethomas » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:57 am

Hello Friends,
Reading books is my hobbie other than music and gaming....You'll generally find with books....Nothing Last Forever,Five Points Some One,Wind mills of the God,One night at call center,DaVinci Code,etc are my favorite books.Latest book that I have read is Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus by Dr. John Gray. It was a great experience reading it. This book puts light on the reasons which cause conflict between Men and Women.....

godzila
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:04 am
Status: Other

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby godzila » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:46 am

Recently i read Five Point Someone: What not to do at IIT book which was written by Chetan Bhatat (http://www.infibeam.com/Books/info/Chet ... 04598.html).... I heard that new bollywood movie is coming this year specially on this book and i went for it.... I seen the movie and then realized that its nearly matching but not 100% we can say...

DoDoMie
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:42 am
Status: English Learner

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby DoDoMie » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:27 pm

I had for a long time have not read off a book.
Because I do not like reading.


Return to “Books & Authors”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron