Tips for Vocabulary

Ideas and advice from EC members on best ways to learn English

Moderator: EC

rehman

Re: Tips for Vocabulary

Post by rehman »

the technique to accumulate vacuballary only comes through reading and reading...... at least you must read a newspaper daily because with reading the paper the words will be repeated again and again..... yeah, but dont forget to keep a weighty dictionary whenever you see a difficult word must check it ..... sometime we feel bothering to check the word from dictionary we go ahead ignoring it....... never do that..... the second technique which comes in my mind that make yourself habbitual of reading novel or story books these can keep refresh your vacuballry....
Cossette

Post by Cossette »

For me, reading is the best method to increase vocabulary. I keep a vocabulary notebook wherein I can list down the new words with its definition and derivation. Moreover, I write down 3 sentences using the word. Mastering the word by using it in your speech would be very effective.
Gerima

Post by Gerima »

i agree that by reading we learn more words. the words, learnt in the context, are remembered much better. So that you know the usage of the word.
catcrack

Post by catcrack »

There is a good site which can help in increasing vocabulary.its quiet useful and fun to use.
http://www.vocabularylearningresources.net/
englishhelps
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by englishhelps »

During our training, we usually have our "word for the day". Make an effort to study a new word everyday. You can study what it means and how it's pronounced. Then make sure that at the end of the day, you know it by heart.
englishhelps
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by englishhelps »

If you hear a new word, write it down so you can research on it later on! Make sure you know what it means and how you can use it in a sentence. A word a day keeps the grammar police away! :)
rando

Post by rando »

Tamaneden,

For me, one of the best and basic way of improving your vocabulary is through reading and listing down all the difficult and new words that you encounter while reading. You can also try doing word games, its not only vocabulary enriching but also fun to do. If you find it hard remembering difficult words then you can try associating these words with pictures. Actually there are a lot of ways, it is up to you which suits you best. As for vocabulary software that you are looking for, I recommend you try visiting www·vocabularysoftware·net since I stumbled upon it on the internet while looking for real cool word games softwares. You can find not only software for word games but also for vocabulary and spelling. Have fun!
englishhelps
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by englishhelps »

^Nice suggestions! It's always fun and effective to learn through games especially if you're in a group. It makes learning more interactive.
englishhelps
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by englishhelps »

A good game to play is charades. You can use english movie titles and song titles as the criteria.
englishhelps
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by englishhelps »

You can also widen your vocabulary by playing a game like scrabble. Just make sure you have a dictionary at hand!
englishhelps
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by englishhelps »

You can also use mnemonics to enhance your vocabulary! These are basically memory tricks to help you remember.
englishhelps
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by englishhelps »

Buy a good dictionary! While it will help you look for the meaning of words that you don't know, it's also a good idea to try to learn a few new words each day. What I usually do is open the dictionary by random and point to a random part of the page and then understand the meaning of that word.
englishhelps
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by englishhelps »

I'll post in here some of the new words that I learn everyday. It's good to always have a word for the day.

voluptuary: A person devoted to luxury and the gratification of sensual appetites; a sensualist.
rojbanks

Post by rojbanks »

Hi !! guys....!! i'm a student here... i read the suggestions regarding the Vocabulary
improve techniques.i usually fallow this tips,but During the conversation ,i can't remember the correct word or phrase.. i have to take time to actully remember it and put in right place in a sentences..it can't help me any way.. and off course there r much more diff. word in dictionary, which i could not differentiate well... any other ways?
Najlooolah

Post by Najlooolah »

learning needs hard worker..so I am trying to do my best ,but my problem is ...How can I use words in sentence....I asked my teacher about that ..and she told me" you need to understand the part of speech of the word first" can anyone explain that ? :roll:
SuMoNe

Post by SuMoNe »

Najlooolah wrote:learning needs hard worker..so I am trying to do my best ,but my problem is ...How can I use words in sentence....I asked my teacher about that ..and she told me" you need to understand the part of speech of the word first" can anyone explain that ? :roll:
I think she/he means that u should understand the meaning of words & their grammatical functions whether verbs/nouns/adj/adv ..etc..So u can put each word in the right position within the sentense & use it in a proper way..
Najlooolah

Post by Najlooolah »

SuMoNe wrote:
Najlooolah wrote:learning needs hard worker..so I am trying to do my best ,but my problem is ...How can I use words in sentence....I asked my teacher about that ..and she told me" you need to understand the part of speech of the word first" can anyone explain that ? :roll:
I think she/he means that u should understand the meaning of words & their grammatical functions whether verbs/nouns/adj/adv ..etc..So u can put each word in the right position within the sentense & use it in a proper way..
:-? too much ...it's too much on me ...I wish If Icould do all these ..
SuMoNe

Post by SuMoNe »

Najlooolah

yes u can..everything seems to b hard in the beginning..try to use dictionary as much as u can, & btw whenever u search for a meaning of a certain word u'll find the function as well, which will help u to use words properly in a sentense.. good luck :)
Najlooolah

Post by Najlooolah »

SuMoNe wrote:Najlooolah

yes u can..everything seems to b hard in the beginning..try to use dictionary as much as u can, & btw whenever u search for a meaning of a certain word u'll find the function as well, which will help u to use words properly in a sentense.. good luck :)

Thank U
Najma

Post by Najma »

Hi all of you

Different people have different tastes. The best way to learn vocabulary is to use and practice them. If you learn a lot of vocabularies a day, without using you will just forget almost
Sunnypk
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Sunnypk »

Usually dictionaries make you bore, when you take a heavy book of dictionary your mood just turned into sluggish and you start thinking how could I remember all vocab: so avoids yourself. so the way I would suggest you to read newspaper, stories, text books and listening and get words and try to use in your own way.
intend to take 3 words daily and make the use of in best way repeatedly. conduct groups and use their ur vocab: really it's effective way
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

I Think that one of the practical ways is to have a palm-paper piece . Then you write 8 words maximum in both front and back But not just words , they should be in context .After that , write the meaning in your own language (I suggest to be written upside down . Finally, put the paper in your pocket , and from time to time , pick it up and have a quick look at them . If you can get it back , that means you succeeded , If not, don't have another paper till you catch it write .
please if you tried this way , please send me a massage .
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

I Think that one of the practical ways is to have a palm-size paper . Then you write 8 words maximum in both front and back But not just words , they should be in context .After that , write the meaning in your own language (I suggest to be written upside down) . Finally, put the paper in your pocket , and from time to time , pick it up and have a quick look at them . If you can get it back , that means you succeeded , If not, don't have another paper till you catch it write .
please if you tried this way , please send me a massage .
anneparker

Lead Answer

Post by anneparker »

Hi, i really like the tips for English and you know after reading your tips now i can say that i can speak in English.
clevermae

Post by clevermae »

It is often helpful to have some kind of "hook". Better be practice anytime as you memorize your vocabulary, never stop until you got that. I know it's so annoying sometimes but when your done it's feel like lighter to know everything!
DavidChoi

Post by DavidChoi »

thanks Pirate, your advice is useful for me, and i will try it.
for me, number 2. try to read articles is very good way to memorize vocabulary.
actually, i have already been trying it now. It is feeling difficult but actually, effects to learn vocabulary.
and number 4. is also I agree it comes into effect. but it is so annoying, because I couldn't write the words that i don't know down all the times.
number 3 is I think It doesn't effect very well, and number 1. is the same also.
so, my point is number 2 is really very good way and i am also using it now. you can use it number 4 also. write the words down on your notebook.
nguyettall

Post by nguyettall »

i learned about 20 words a day but i forget most them the next day. That is my trouble. I searched on the net and i found a lot of ways to learn vocabulary. Hey they affected me.
i really worry about my english. Now i try to learn english every time. I learn it when i am sleeping, cleaning housework and cooking.
i hope that my english will become better in the future.
If everybody have a special way, please will show it for me.
Thank you very much!
Oriani
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Oriani »

nguyettall wrote:i learned about 20 words a day but i forget most them the next day. That is my trouble. I searched on the net and i found a lot of ways to learn vocabulary. Hey they affected me.
i really worry about my english. Now i try to learn english every time. I learn it when i am sleeping, cleaning housework and cooking.
i hope that my english will become better in the future.
If everybody have a special way, please will show it for me.
Thank you very much!
Hi!
It's normal for everybody to forget to many words studied ( not learned) per day.
The most important point is learning at least 5 words during an English class: Use them in context, practice them and use them all day long or at least during your English class with your teacher and classmates (or by yourself If you're not studying in an institute) so that you can stablish the knowledge, you got me? For example: Speech ; So, use that word in several sentences so that you CAN remember the meaning , the function and so on.
I hope this can help you.
Best Wishes.
Teacher Oriana.
manofalsubeai

Re:

Post by manofalsubeai »

Pirate wrote:Well, there are many ways to expand your Vocabulary, just we are sometimes not very sure which are suitable for us. Er ... so just try until you can find a way :wink:

1- 5 words a day! It's recommended by Josef. Hix, but it doesn't work to me. I used to try "Word of the day" provided by Kaplan, which gives just one word a day but along come some more synonyms. I couldn't keep up after 2 months! :(

2- Learn pages each time through articles. This stupid way unfortunately works well to me. I register newsletter, access the internet and read articles. Each long article often gives me about 40-60 new words ( :oops: ). It then takes a lot of time to pick out the new words, look up the meaning in dictionary, write down in a notebook, and simply read them again and again whenever I have free time. Check the progress by reading the article again without having to use the notebook. The content of the articles I read help me to learn by heart easier. Of course later I certainly forget some but some others still stay in mind! 8)

3- Sticky sheets of paper. I think this is quite interesting. Make some small sheets of paper, write down the word and stick it where it should be. Example, make a sheet of "doorhandle" and stick it on the door, right over the doorhandle so you will see the paper anytime you touch the doorhandle. But with this way you cannot learn verbs, I guess, and not too difficult words.

4- Learning with friends. Yeah, you and your friends make a list of words that you need to study this week, then check one another at weekend, ok?

What's your ways?

I agree with you . :ok:
Aaro

Post by Aaro »

Hi..,
Nice post...,there are many ways to expand your vocabulary.But i think
idoms,my dear i think there is one best way to learn english.
kitchen calgary
tandvictor

Post by tandvictor »

well.i don't really understand that seeing a fine picture will make you good at vocabulary!how can u do that???
Oriani
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Oriani »

tandvictor wrote:well.i don't really understand that seeing a fine picture will make you good at vocabulary!how can u do that???
Throughout pictures or images you can take Vocabulary, for example: Nature, what kind of words you will find regarding to Nature? Animals, Ok, so, let's name some animals. Good. What else? Fauna , Plants, and so on! I just see it from that point of view.

Best wishes. {-:
Teresa

Post by Teresa »

Hello Pirate,

I know, to improve my English skills, I need to have a very big quantity of vocabulary & I'm looking for the best way to learn.

You know, I learned, even one word per day before, but that word wasn't used in fact often, then I forgot after some days :(...I also learned by reading newspaper, there were many new words in one news, I had to check these with dictionary, but it's difficult to understand & it took too much time. I didn't have much time to read it many times again & again till without using dictionary, because I've to read new news everyday, then I aslo forgot many of them...

I never give learning vocabulary up & now I'm trying to learn by writing, reading, even watching English movies & I hope you can help me get more new words from our conversations here.

I'm really gratefulness & highly appreciated if you can correct my mistakes in English. Thank you in advance.

Teresa
gandalf

Post by gandalf »

Learning 5 words a day is too slow. You should aim to learn 100!

For instance use a picture dictionary, where systems are shown and explained. Look at a medical diagram of a body and you will quickly learn a hundred words. Look at a mechanical diagram of a motor, or the construction of a house where all the parts have labels.

The hundred words go into your "passive memory" - you can recognise them, but you might not be ready to use them. Talk with a friend about the pictures. Make up a story, like someone who is feeling sick, or how to build a house. The new words will come quickly into your "active memory".

I hope this helps
teacher Gandalf
albertbrine

Post by albertbrine »

Hello,
I understand vocabulary is so much important in English. But I faced a problem how I can remember those words and used it in writing and speaking.
critmov

Post by critmov »

There are many tips. I used to write any new words I found anywhere on my note then checked my dictionary to find out the meaning.
McTag

Post by McTag »

Obviously this varies from person to person. I would suggest trying lots of different techniques because you will find that some work better for you than others.

When I was learning French I enjoyed reading, listening and watching things and noting down any words I didn't know so that I could look them up later. By varying the activities between reading, listening and watching things, I found that doing the work to find new vocabulary wasn't boring. Another benefit of this approach is that you are more likely to come across words that are used more regularly. Obviously this depends on what you read, listen to or watch, but you can be selective about this in order to learn the right vocabulary.
For example, if you want to learn some political terminology, reading newspaper reports is often a good start. Or, if you were looking for vocabulary about going on holiday, try finding and watching a travel program.
"The limits of my language are the limits of my life" Ludwig Wittgenstein
theenglishskyperoom.co.uk
Rajeshvig

Post by Rajeshvig »

I love to learn new English words everyday. This is a very good website to learn and share new things about English.
polish

Post by polish »

I use to learn words described here already: I get to know a new word, write it on a small piece of paper and put or I stick in a place where I see frequently (the mirror over the stove, the computer screen) and I peek at it every time I go there . (I am a visual learner). The word sticks in my memory permanently :)
javasen

Post by javasen »

My way to enrich the vocabulary of English is so:
I am searching in the dictionary for example names of animals, I am repeating them - and then on the the sheet I am writing out from the memory the most names of animals, as many I will remember. The same I am dealing with names of plants, of colours etc.

The other my way is very simple: I am making the list of English words and their equivalents in my language (Polish). Then I am covering the English part and I am writing out English words, I am checking - and this way to the effect, as far as I will write out all English words correctly.

Presumably these are trivial methods, but for me it works. :)
tadkoks

Post by tadkoks »

For me an excellent way for the learning of words are songs - namely I have a lot of favourite songs, but so far I didn't know texts, because I wasn't good at English. Now I am printing the text of my favourite song, I am listening to it and I am singing with the vocalist, looking at words. Then I am hiding the sheet and I am trying to give a fluent answer at the memory. If I forget words - I am looking at the sheet. Then I can already sing without the sheet and I can see words in my imagination, what I am singing.
riyagupta

Post by riyagupta »

Toughest part of learning any language is to memorize the Vocabulary power needed for that language. There are many ways to do it. Keep reading/listening to articles/movies/music etc in English (or whatever language you want to learn) .. and during that process make sure that you keep a note of words you encounter frequently and try to memorize them as they will be common words.

Memorizing the meaning of words is another daunting task ... refer MnemonicDictionary.com for the same. It can help you a lot memorizing words using MnemonicDictionary.
mandrews

Post by mandrews »

For me, some of the best ways to learn or improve vocabulary is through reading, speaking, and watching movies. These 3 have been so helpful to me in many situations. First off, there is no doubt that through reading you learn so many words, their meaning, and how they are and should be used in a sentence. Speaking on the other hand is very important because learning a new word from reading is useless if you cannot apply it in your life. Thus, learning and application through speaking should always go hand in hand. Lastly, some of you may wonder how movies can help improve vocabulary. But movies and TV series have all sorts of expressions- the one's commonly heard and even those that are not. At the same time, the language in movies are used in a conversational manner so it makes a good way to learn how the expressions and words should be used in a sentence.

Michael Andrews
Dialect Coach and Author of
’Learn the BRITISH ACCENT- FAST!’ and ’Learn the AMERICAN ACCENT- FAST!’
Michael Andrews -- I Help People Lose Their Accent --
Dialect Coach and Author of
’Learn the BRITISH ACCENT- FAST!’ and ’Learn the AMERICAN ACCENT- FAST!’
Click on my profile for more details and website address
Faizah

Post by Faizah »

Hello everyone! What a good site is this one !
Let me tell you a little about my way in learning vocabulary and though it is a haunting one but I never give up learning new words . Along time ago, I decided to increase my exposure to English wether in spoken or written forms.when I come across any new words I do the following: I pick up the word & write it in the list of words in my vocabulary notebook. Then I look up the meaning of the word in online electronic dictionary , listen to the pronunciation and repeat it several times as well as reading the transcription of it , see what part of speech it is, read the examples given for it in various situations. ...etc . After a few days I come back to my notebook and mark the new words I just learned . I practice their pronunciation again and recall their meanings by using them in sentences from my own. I may think or invent imaginary situation where I can use those words . More than often , I go to YouTube and watch vedios on certain topics just to learn the vocabulary used in that particular field and i repeat the same steps for the new words I mentioned earlier .
reindeer
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by reindeer »

Hi,

When people start learning a foreign language, they usually look for some techniques that might help. Back in time, there were not many of them - as a rule, we began with a grammar book and ended with reading simple stories provided with a glossary. Today it's different: we've got the wide variety of ways to make a study interesting and effectively. No reason to list them - you name it!
But keep in mind: no technique will help unless you have adopted the natural way of speaking i.e. correct usage of words and phrases. I experienced firsthand that even the simplest things must be learned and understood deeply. Not long ago, I came to comprehension, that one of the most serious troubles we face while memorizing words is actually a mismatch of semantic meaning. At the beginning of my study I'd say 'I engage in music, running or business' - (a form taken from some dusty grammar book) and it would surely be understanding. At the same time, as there are ways to speak naturally, why don't I do it? Today, I will rather say I'm a musician, I do running and I run a business. Another example: the word 'take' in English and in Russian may have either the same or different meanings. For example, it's okay to say 'Take your pen and write' - I mean, in Russian it's okay too, but it's not the same for 'take your seat' and 'take part of'- we don't 'take' seats in Russia, we say 'sit, please'. And meditate. :prof:
I'm aware that I tell you no secret, but I believe it's really important to remember: mismatch of semantic meaning is a real rock on which we split!
Smartboys

Post by Smartboys »

In my book, I don't think learning many word can help us to develope our english, I started learning english with english grammer books and trying to memorise many word. but I couldn't be able to speak or write often correctly, until when visited a perticul website wich explained to me that "we can be able to improve our speaking english only when we learn many phrase, I want to + verb
I have + noun
I don't want to + verb
let's take this simple phrase
I want to +verb > I want to come to your party, I want to know how to improve my english. by learning such phase, you can speak english with ease,
ritzkevin

Post by ritzkevin »

I'm an English tutor teaching English online through Skype. As much as possible, always have a dictionary handy. It will widen your vocabulary when you encounter words that are new or unfamiliar to you.
Ritz Kevin

Online English teacher/language trainer

Do you want to improve your English or Filipino? I can help. FREE trial

Skype id: housedog1983

Watch my YouTube video: https://youtu.be/iUDpoMJcdso
Kitsich

Post by Kitsich »

gandalf wrote:Learning 5 words a day is too slow. You should aim to learn 100!

f
It is necessary not just to learn by heart the words. You need to read a lot every day in English.
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future." - Quotes On Moving On
ritzkevin

Post by ritzkevin »

Kitsich wrote:
gandalf wrote:Learning 5 words a day is too slow. You should aim to learn 100!

f
It is necessary not just to learn by heart the words. You need to read a lot every day in English.
I agree on this. Reading can help you become more familiar with English.
Ritz Kevin

Online English teacher/language trainer

Do you want to improve your English or Filipino? I can help. FREE trial

Skype id: housedog1983

Watch my YouTube video: https://youtu.be/iUDpoMJcdso
DrNorman

Post by DrNorman »

I have drawn together some of the best ways to learn vocabulary. You can read all about it at https://www.advancedenglishlearning.com ... vocabulary .
It discusses how to choose all sorts of materials at the right level to maximize your learning. It also discusses how to improve your ability to use new vocabulary in your speech and writing.
I hope you find it useful
Dr Norman
Improve your English online
Advanced English Learning
https://www.advancedenglishlearning.com