British VS American English which is better?

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

SilverFish

British VS American English which is better?

Post by SilverFish »

Sometimes,I wonder why most people think American English is better. Because the original English speakers are the British.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Better, in what sense? I don't know why someone would say that a dialect is better than another.
SilverFish

I JUST WANT TO KNOW ABOUT...

Post by SilverFish »

hello i'm silverfish who uploaded this question. I got your point but my point is not only pronounce but also the structure of English. Both are quiet different style of English. So I just want to know about which English is better to understand, write, read and talk. Perhaps you'll agree both( American and British) are quiet different.
Image'Carpe Diem' does not mean 'fish of the day'.
--Unknown
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

There is not enough difference between the way Americans and English talk to even say that they are speaking different "dialects". It is the same language with a regional accent. Just the same as Australian or New Zealand or South Africans speak.
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

I like very much american slang words, I get to know many new ones through the movies and songs, modern american classics, love the accent.
At our english classes we used to watch different travelling programes and I understood that british accent sounds very natural for us who learn eglish, american accent is really lovely, the "r" sound drives me mad :P but assie accent is really comlicated to understand!! :(

what for to define which one is better - all of them are...
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

Tora wrote:I like very much american slang words, I get to know many new ones through the movies and songs, modern american classics, love the accent.
At our english classes we used to watch different travelling programes and I understood that british accent sounds very natural for us who learn eglish, american accent is really lovely, the "r" sound drives me mad :P but assie accent is really comlicated to understand!! :(

what for to define which one is better - all of them are...
The Aussie accent only complicated to understand because Aussies have such poor diction. They typically slur their words. But well spoken Aussies should not be any harder to understand than well spoken Yanks or well spoken Englishmen.
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

it's just my biassed point of view. It was a program about risky activities like feeding the sharks near Tazmania or jumping from the several meters height to an abyss being roped to a platform... he was very excited afterwards but it was almost impossible to define what he´s talking about :wink:
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

:roll: I don't hear any difference between BrEng and AmEng when I'm trying understand it by watching BBC and CNN. If possible, can anybody tell what my writings looks like more, BrEn or AmEn? Or is the difference only in pronunciation?

According to my grammar book, BrEng says, for example: Have you had a dinner? AmEng says: Did you have a dinner?
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

Xkalibur wrote:
According to my grammar book, BrEng says, for example: Have you had a dinner? AmEng says: Did you have a dinner?
YOur book is wrong. You will hear both ways spoken everywhere. Most of the difference is in the overall accent, particularly the "r"s "a"s, and some minor spelling differences.
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

I don´t want to say the world "correct", then I musto to say that I´m acording with Danyet opinions.
I began study english in a british school at México City. For different reazons I left the school, two years later I began again in an American english school. Not much differences: pronunciation in some final letters of a world, some idioms. But generally when I see an american movie or an english movie I understand perfect (well I understand :oops: ).
The gramatical structure is the same, is like spanosh at Méxic, Spain, or argentina. The differences are pronunciation and idios. Understand please, the origin is the same and changed a little the development, acording to cultural, economic, social and sometimes politic situation.
The language change with the time, for better or worst but change. I think we couldn´t say "this is better than" the objetive, the real objetive is the "comunication".
nightwish

Post by nightwish »

I study english at the univ. and as I see the only difference between the two is the accent.
so I like to use both of them while I'm talking.
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

Yes you are right! There is not much difference between the two except the accent.

I don't know how you learned to switch between the accents though. For me it is very hard. I speak with an Australian English accent and I can not very well switch to an American accent. When I try, it comes out like a "redneck hillbilly" accent. That seems to be the easiest for me.
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

American English is more suitable for Indonesians' tongue.

Post by Bambang »

Personally, American English is more suitable for me.

But I like watching Brithish English programs.

It sounds unique and interesting.

But I don't like the way Mr Bean speaking.

It sounds like gargling.
YAYO

Post by YAYO »

This it is a good subject, I think that the Brithish is finer than american english, and the America is simple, I mean, the Brithish is elegant and formal, and pronunciacion is more pleasant for the ear.
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

MichaZor wrote:I live in USA, but I like British English more, I don't know why.. it's just easier to understand lol.
Are you native English speaker?
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

MichaZor wrote:No.. why?
Yeah, I agree with you too. It's easier to understand..
sanjadz
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by sanjadz »

Unlike you, I think spoken American English is easier to understand than spoken British English.
Kainha

Post by Kainha »

I like them both, however I prefer the American english because It's easier to learn and to hear.
trungkienb

Re: British VS American English which is better?

Post by trungkienb »

SilverFish wrote:Sometimes,I wonder why most people think American English is better. Because the original English speakers are the British.
Well, you know what? 80% people who know english speak American English.
in fact, people who speak American english ( Americans) want to learn British English (accent, pronunciation...).
there are more than 3,000 words that are different between these languages.
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

trungkienb wrote: Well, you know what? 80% people who know english speak American English.
in fact, people who speak American english ( Americans) want to learn British English (accent, pronunciation...).
there are more than 3,000 words that are different between these languages.
What are the most common words, please?
We're all friends, right?
trungkienb

Post by trungkienb »

bambang wrote:
What are the most common words, please?

Good question Bambang. I think they might be : "Yeah", "hi"..whatever they are.
Oriani
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Oriani »

I know the American because I come from the American continent(however I live next to Guyana and they speak British) but I must learn British for my role play.

As a future English teacher I have to know Both!! I like each one since I was a little girl, eventhough my daddy just taught me the American and I am used to it, already! It takes time to get used to a language. It happened to me when I was learning French, so, If you don't like one's accent, it does not mean that is bad. That's a wrong term that people use when they are refering to something they don't like; I conclude that everything is a matter of taste :wink: :wink: :wink:
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

Well said, Oriani. Well said! :D
Will you be my teacher?
Oriani
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Oriani »

I'll be graduating in 2009 :lol:
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

No need to wait for your graduation. You've been a teacher here, at EC! :wink:
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

Britons speak more clearly I think than Americans. However, BrEng's intonation is a bit complicated compared to AmEng. This is my personal view..
Koala

Re:

Post by Koala »

IowaRocks wrote:I personally believe British English is too "flowery." American English seems to be more direct and to the point, but in the case of creative writing it is better to use flowery language, so it's important to understand both.
I think so, too. But AmEng has its own good points and BrtEng does. We shouldn't consider which is better.
DerAfrikaner

Post by DerAfrikaner »

Yeah, I know this thread's been dead for over a year, but I need to say this. Being South African (and a canyon crab at that), I've heard the South African accent the most. It doesn't differ very much from traditional British because of most Anglo-African's heritage. It has, however, mixed alot with the Dutch diriven Afrikaans, making it what most people would say "less correct".

Personally, I think that American English is the best. I don't think it's easier to learn, but it's been made that way in some regions, giving it somewhat of a bad name. For example: I can't explain how much I hate it that so many people mix the past and the present or past perfect in the sense of "I seen" instead of the correct "I have or I had seen". All English dialects are guility of it, and I can't stand it.

Anyway, I think that for a Afrikaans speaker, American English is more fluid, but has a more difficult vocabulary as it has nearly twice as many words as British English. The spelling is easier, though.The New England accent (excluding Rhode Island and Boston) sounds so professional. I guess that's why all American news broadcast in other nations has Americans with that accent.
greenthirteen

Re: wrong!

Post by greenthirteen »

danyet wrote:There is not enough difference between the way Americans and English talk to even say that they are speaking different "dialects". It is the same language with a regional accent. Just the same as Australian or New Zealand or South Africans speak.
I am afraid that this person is incorrect. There is a remarkable difference between American and British English. The best way to understand the differences, if you believed what this person here wrote, then I suggest you rent a movie such as "SNATCH", by Guy Ritchie.

This movie demonstrates the differences quite a bit, (exclude the Brad Pitt) character. The Brits use a more formal sounding language, where Americans (and Canadians), use a more informal sounding language. Of course there are many words that are common, but there are plenty words and expressions that just are not.

To any native speaker of English, the differences are remarkably vast. Line up (1,5, 1000) Brits and Yanks, the native speaker will identify them with one hundred percent accuracy...

(I am a native speaker of English)
(You are not... and it is obvious... not with just this post, but others by you i have read)
greenthirteen

Re:

Post by greenthirteen »

Xkalibur wrote::roll: I don't hear any difference between BrEng and AmEng when I'm trying understand it by watching BBC and CNN. If possible, can anybody tell what my writings looks like more, BrEn or AmEn? Or is the difference only in pronunciation?

The differences are huge! The structure is the same as are most, if not all grammar points. The difference comes from word choices and pronunciation... Rent a movie called KNOTTING HILL... watch it in English (obviously) and note the differences between Hugh Grant's character and Julia Robert's character... In fact, with the exception of Julia's character and Hugh's "room-mate" (we say room-mate, they say flatmate or lodger)... everyone in there is British speaking...ok...
greenthirteen

Re:

Post by greenthirteen »

danyet wrote:
Xkalibur wrote:
YOur book is wrong. You will hear both ways spoken everywhere. Most of the difference is in the overall accent, particularly the "r"s "a"s, and some minor spelling differences.

Again you are mistaken... Neither of us use either of those phrases... however, we both do say "Have you had dinner?" and "Did you have dinner?" If you did not see the difference between what the fellow wrote and I wrote... then I believe that you should perhaps grab a book or two yourself...

And again, most of the difference is not in the overall accent! They are different, but an accent usually comes from a particular way words are pronounced! The accent is obvious, but word usage is where we differ dramatically...

EG- Toss it in the boot!

or
Put it in the trunk!

Both Americans and British people would say both of these expressions... but one would never say one of them... You, as the expert, post which is which...
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

It's not important! It is the same language and only the usage varies. Every generation has their peciliarities and they are easily adaptable.
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

Why English doesn´t have Academy Languages like Spanish, which has a Royal Academy of Spanish language, and even an Academy for each language spanish country?? and beliveme there are differences and ways to express our ideas.
Elva

Post by Elva »

American English and Brith English I can't distinguish clearly! Because my English is poor.So I want to learn English well, So hope to make friends here.Yours English is excellent! I think so!I'm 21 years old.
Who can help me ? Thanks in advance! ;-)
plinh

Post by plinh »

I don't know why but I prefer American English.
However,my teacher said I was better at British English:((
WIFI

Post by WIFI »

I am a fan of American accent ... it forces you to love english language .. when it comes to British it is tooooooooooooooooo tough .... I dont like it ..
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re:

Post by sweethuman »

Vega wrote::roll: I don't hear any difference between BrEng and AmEng when I'm trying understand it by watching BBC and CNN. If possible, can anybody tell what my writings looks like more, BrEn or AmEn? Or is the difference only in pronunciation?

There is abit difference in accent and pronunciation of both languages, I will mention some words as a sample below:
Opportunity: In Amenglish it is pronounced as (aparchunity)
Opportunity: BrEnglish it is pronounced as (apartunity)

Immediate:
AmEnglish pronunciation (Immediate)
Immediate: BrEnglish pronunciation (Immejiate)

And Many more. But I beleive that is not easily understood. and there is no big difference in writting or speech.
Savetherocks

Post by Savetherocks »

From a structural standpoint, the two dialects are almost identical. When reading text that is written by a native English speaker, I am often unable to discern whether the writer is British or American (I am a native American English Speaker). As many others have noted, the main difference can be observed with spoken English. From as objective as a viewpoint as possible, I believe that American English is easier to comprehend. This is because there there is more distinction between different words due to the larger range of sounds (e.g. farther vs. father) as well as the closer correlation between how a word should be pronounced based on the basic phonetic system of English and the proper pronunciation of a particular word, which is due to the American English revision of spellings (e.g. center vs. centre). As for difficulty of comprehension for a native English speaker of the opposite dialect, both are almost completely mutually intelligible. While some phrases that are used may not be common in the opposing dialect, it is easy to figure out what the intended meaning of the speaker is.
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweethuman »

I agree with you @ Savetherocks.
The minor difference can be understood while communicating to them. And American English is easily understood by most of the people and easily learned as well
muruganji

Post by muruganji »

Hi friend

According to me, British is better

Murugan
Maniya

Post by Maniya »

SilverFish wrote:Sometimes,I wonder why most people think American English is better. Because the original English speakers are the British.
I am agree with u honey.
a flower is beautifull for a day
but love a beautifull flower for ever
optilse

Post by optilse »

I agree with you Maniya. En Language originated in GB. I'm having a hard time with their accent, especially Scottish, but you can't beat the original.
tomnew

Post by tomnew »

Yes, british is the original English speaker but I find slightly difference between the two. Accent, pronunciation and some spelling differ like summarise(GB English) - summarize(Am English). Both are better.
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by behnam »

Hi,

I personally prefer British Londoner accent. It sounds beautiful.

All the best,
Behnam, 2 April, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
keithsmith

Post by keithsmith »

American english is commonly used all over the world but in the other hand you are also right that the original speaker of english are British.
mahgoub

Post by mahgoub »

yahh yahh
AskSarah

Post by AskSarah »

Neither is better, because language is just a bunch of sounds put together that some people thought would be good for communication purposes. :lol:

The average American cannot understand foreigners at all if they do not attempt to speak with a standard American accent like one you would hear in the Midwest, or even large parts of Canada. I struggle very hard understanding Asian ESL speakers who use the British accent for English, so if you're going to be working in the states or with mostly Americans, go with American teachers.

There are some accents of English emerging that are almost becoming their own language. Those are the types of English teachers I would stay away from, that are going to teach you such a highly unique style of English that only one or two regions would understand you (for example, Welsh valley accent, Geordie accent, certain Irish & Scottish accents). When I was learning Korean, I wanted to learn the Seoul dialect that millions of people would understand, not the Pusan dialect or the Gwangju dialect - just as an example {-:
Need help for something big? PM me or visit my profile.
-Sarah from S2 Editing
JJFGpuc

Post by JJFGpuc »

I don't like to much British english, I always preffer American English. I think British it's too much polite, have other pronunciation and other words. When I heard a British people speaking, the first thing I imagine was a royal people, but when I heard an American didn't happend.
Also British is more easy for understand, they pronnunce better. It's like everyone everyone :)
JJFGpuc

Post by JJFGpuc »

I think the same as you Elba. British english have more pronunciation and stress syllables than American. At my school, they teached me British english and I didn't like to much. I prefer American. At university I take some subjects of American english and I like it.
When I heard british speakers I think in the royalty of England, and this is the reason because I prefer American English.

I'm from Chile, here whe have a very special type of spanish, we have lots of words wich you only understand if you are from Chile. But I love my country.
Cecilia

Post by Cecilia »

I believe, that any of them are better than other, only are different dialect, but for me a English learner is easier to understand and speak American English, but in the other hand British English is more beautiful have a different sound that make it more interesting…