How can I improve my reading ?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

monerap

How can I improve my reading ?

Post by monerap »

hello friends,
my level is intermediate and ı want to improve my reading skills.
ı read "tips for reading" topic also.
ı read books ,stage 5 oxford story books.

how can ı improve my reading skills?

when ı read there are some word which ı dont know means.
in every word ı stop and look dictionary? or after reading all the book ı look dictionary for unknown words?

ı want to make my reading activities maximum beneficial

also ı read newspapaers,articles.etc.
alawton
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: How can I improve my reading ?

Post by alawton »

Hello,

I would set an hour aside each day for reading practice. Pick a different kind of reading each day. One day you could read a newspaper article and the next day you could read part of a novel. The point is to get exposed to different kinds of language situations.

As you are reading, jot down the words and phrases you have trouble with. Only look them up if you are lost without knowing that specific word. When you finish take each word or expression from your list and type it into Google. Look at the different ways native speakers are using the word. You will get a good idea of what the word means this way. The definitions in the dictionaries are not always complete in terms of the many different ways a single word can be used.

After having looked up all the unknown words, read the passage again without stopping. I did thios when I was learning Spanish and it really helped. Good luck!

Andrew Lawton
http://drewseslfluencylessons.com