lingual or language

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Elenita

lingual or language

Post by Elenita »

Hi.
Is it possible to use the word lingual to define something related to language? For example, Lingual University or Lingual Support Department.
Thank you.
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: lingual or language

Post by Joe »

Elenita wrote:Is it possible to use the word lingual to define something related to language?
That is the very definition of "lingual".
dichanana

Post by dichanana »

Hi Elenita,

Lingual literally means "of or relating to tongue." There is also linguistic, which means relating to languages.

That said, your actual choice will also depend on convention - for instance you usually call university departments "department of languages" or "linguistics department." I've never really seen anyone use "lingual" in favor of "linguistic."
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

dichanana wrote:Lingual literally means "of or relating to tongue." There is also linguistic, which means relating to languages.
I agree with dichanana. Lingual does mean "of or relating to the tongue"; but it also means "of or relating to language or linguistics". Both lingual and linguistic derive from the Latin "lingua" meaning "tongue" and "speech".
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/lingual
dichanana wrote:That said, your actual choice will also depend on convention - for instance you usually call university departments "department of languages" or "linguistics department." I've never really seen anyone use "lingual" in favor of "linguistic."
I suspect that Lingual Institute (albeit a business) would have something to say about that :mrgreen: http://www.lingualinstitute.com/