Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

Ms.A.Z
Rising Star
Rising Star

Male Colleagues !!

Post by Ms.A.Z »

Hello all,

Well I'm facing a little problem at my work place. I have good male colleagues at work but the thing is I really don't know what to discuss with them or what topic to talk about. Most of the time I just say Hi and go a way without saying any thing else because I feel shy and I really don't know how to hold a interesting conversation for more then say 5 to 10 mints .Well it's not a big deal for me but I really don't like to just walk away without saying some thing, it leaves a bad impression about me on them :roll: .
chemist
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by chemist »

I guess you can talk about the work itself,and if their job is different then try to learn something about thier job and talk about it ,disscus reports you usually do and ask for help if you need.
You can also talk about their study time and courses if they were university students.
ummmm what else? I guess guys like sports you can talk about football matches if you like them.
Or you can open your day with them asking there is no good news today?as I usually ask my colleages :wink:
Everyone started thier news and the conversation takes along time until our boss comes and till us everyone must do his job :wink:

Just take it easy dear this comes with time we cannot just build up a work relatipship withing 5-10 minutes right?
ahmads
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ahmads »

chemist
I guess you can talk about the work itself
first shy is usuall adjective

first shy is usual adjective and it is important I think.
I agree with chemist talk about work
when I want to talk with girl in work
I talk about work and the talk come with its self
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Male Colleagues !!

Post by Dixie »

Ms.A.Z wrote:Hello all,

Well I'm facing a little problem at my work place. I have good male colleagues at work but the thing is I really don't know what to discuss with them or what topic to talk about. Most of the time I just say Hi and go a way without saying any thing else because I feel shy and I really don't know how to hold a interesting conversation for more then say 5 to 10 mints .Well it's not a big deal for me but I really don't like to just walk away without saying some thing, it leaves a bad impression about me on them :roll: .
That's because you don't know them. You should try to get to know them first. When you go into the office, instead of saying just "hello", smile and say "good morning! How are we today?" (that's what I always do). People will smile back at you and reply as cheerfully as you did. Once you break the ice, it's easy to start a conversation.
phucauto3
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by phucauto3 »

if you find it difficult to talk with them, first you should try a bit for the conversion at home. Many things you can say: weather, work, sport,a female colleague...and try to learn by heart.
the first time, you can be nervous, but I think the second, the third.. you will feel more comfortable.
you should think that they're simple people,nothing great, they're also similar to you.
:wink: :wink:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Ms.A.Z wrote:Hello all,

Start talking ~ behind your boss's ass is always a good start. LOL just joking with you. Anyway, got a lunch room at your work or any room that the employees use to hang out in the morning and during lunch? If yes, then you can try to stay in the room with them instead of just saying hi and walking away. Making a conversation while you are making coffee. What about, "hey did you guys see this and that last night???..." Or you can pretend to look through a newspaper while drinking your coffee there. Then just say, "oohhh jeezz jaaaa weee... someone won a big lottery last night. Millions of people and he won, what are the chances...??? Look at this lucky person, guys." And you then could get the conversation going. Also, you can make expressions about what Bush did in the newspaper. Talking about Bush is always a good start since most people hate him :lol: . Better yet, trash about America. There are many things to talk about this dysfunctional country (I love it, don't take my words wrong). On the other hand, if they don't stay in the office during lunch, then you could try to go with them for lunch. A little chat on the way is always a good start.
Overall, it takes time to build relationship with your coworkers if you're a new one. Be a little laid back, blend in, and learn their rules, then it'll be easier to make conversations.
Ms.A.Z
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Ms.A.Z »

LennyeTran wrote: Start talking ~ behind your boss's ass is always a good start. .
Funny :lol:

Thanks alot my dear friends I will try your advices let see if it works. :roll:
mr_Love
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by mr_Love »

i wnated to give advice but i think i came late

and all my friends have all ready give you ,
there is nothing more that i can ad ,,,

just smile!!!!1
Ms.A.Z
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Ms.A.Z »

mr_Love wrote:i wnated to give advice but i think i came late

and all my friends have all ready give you ,
there is nothing more that i can ad ,,,

just smile!!!!1
Thank you you can still give me more advices if you like. I will be glad.

:roll:
Ms.A.Z
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Ms.A.Z »

Need some advice,

I started to mix up with some of my male colleagues at work but I have one more problem. I don't know how to hold an interesting conversation for more then 5 mints. I just say HI how are you then I pause say few stupid things then say bye or or I see my male colleague and I greet him I don't pause at all but I walk while Im talking to him ha ha ha..what should i do???? :roll: :oops:
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweethuman »

i dont think so you should feel shy while communicating to your subordinates as they are also employees with the same rights and authorities as you. SO feel free to discuss everything and have open discussion with them
chungkashin

Post by chungkashin »

Well I encounter the same problem either. But soon I realize you just need to start with formal work issue and all the conversations come.