Will Americans understand me?

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

lockerstudier

Will Americans understand me?

Post by lockerstudier »

Well. Hello first, finally I've logged in EnglishClub.com (I've got some problems for log at the first time). I'm from Brazil. But, never mind. My problem here it's about my tongue. Even in my native language I've these problem: some words I can't say correctly on a full sentence. Let's take the word "girlfriend". When I say it go correctly, even in normal speed. But when I say it in fast speed, go "Guuffriend" (and sometimes Gurlfiend), and there's a lot of words that I can't say correctly. As I've the same problems in Portuguese (my native language), and here everyone understand me, do you think that the americans will understand me even with this problem? It isn't even happen with all the words, often with "r" words, "l" words, and anothers.

Just to tell: I read fairly well these words, all the sounds of English I do perfectly well. Ok, I need someone help for I keep my pronounciation well. Thank for everyone that read these text.
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Will Americans understand me?

Post by sweethuman »

I think it is fine, everyone can understand it. you can observe such kind of pronounciation in chinese and japanese people as well. As some of them pronounce L instead of R in some cases but they are easily understood.
lockerstudier

Post by lockerstudier »

And How about the speed of the speech? Sometimes, some words that I already know and I use everyday went out quickly. But another words that I know as well don't went out so fast and begin so slowly. I need to practice more, of course, isn't it?
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweethuman »

A person can hardly change his/her style/way of communication. Thats natural, however in the words that you know you are facing problem, You can pronounce them slowly while communicating to others, so they can catch it easily.
khanriaaz

Post by khanriaaz »

i think that they should be understand , You have problem with own language too , what do you do make sense for your native speaker, same methods apply here(for American), hmm you also try to make usage of body language if they don't understand your word they guess from your gesture.
gradually you don't fell that have some problem.. Everything take time and patience.
take it easy.
KeepUpRichard

Post by KeepUpRichard »

I think you will be okay. Most Americans that you meet will be understanding when it comes to how you speak. Our country was founded by immigrants so this understanding is ingrained in our blood. I am an American and I live in China right now. The English speakers here pronounce many words incorrectly but I can generally understand everything just fine.

Once in a while you might get a "come again?" but I believe you'll be fine. Good luck.
GreekParis

Post by GreekParis »

Sure they do

Do not hesitate to speak even if your accent its not perfect or Americanish. From my experience most of the Americans are quite open minded and they do not hesitate to communicate even if they are language barriers.
ArnauEstanyol
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ArnauEstanyol »

Under my point of view, a huge number of Americans have the same problem than you. Because I'm not able to understand them at all. {-:
Well, don't worry. The good will is the most important.
adle

Post by adle »

Living in Canada where it is very multicultural, I've observed that native English speakers are generally much more patient in understanding ESL learners as they do appreciate people who tries to learn they language more than some people who refuse to assimilate. They might ask you to repeat yourself a couple of times but don't be offended as they are trying to understand you, that's way better that someone just turning their back and not even try to understand what you wanted to say. If you do meet someone who'll be a complete ~, remember they do exist but are not the majority in the English speaking countries. I personally appreciate people who tries to learn any language.