Can we get authentic English here?

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

Nanning
Rising Star
Rising Star

Can we get authentic English here?

Post by Nanning »

I know this site is for English learners to improve their English proficiency. But the reality also tells me that it may not be possible for us learners to get access to authentic English here because all are trying their not so good English here. It is possible they can understand each other with their passable English, but that is not it was intended, right?
So far I haven't found any teacher to help point out the errors in our English version of views exchanges. If the situation remains so, it would be very bad for English learners, because they thought they have already known how to use the correct English with people around the world, but actually that is not the case. Two errors do not make a right.
A lot of English lovers who gather together cannot necessarily make themselves good users of the language by speaking or writing things randomly. That is why I would like to hear the opinion of the teachers of this forum in this regard.
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Can we get authentic English here?

Post by sweethuman »

Dear Nanning,
Good thinking, however we have some sections in the forum where the learners can ask their questions without any hesitation, and they post any kind of questions regarding English language whether Grammar, Vocabulary and Writing etc. Those sections are (Grammar Help, Vocabulary Help, Writing help and Help each other with English where all your questions are answered by the Forum teachers with a detailed explanation.
I agree with your point of veiw that two errors do not make a right, however if the learners post their questions and confusion regarding the words, sentences and grammar, so we can make them understand and provide better solutions.
This is the place where we can learn from each others mistakes, havent you heard that (If there were no fools in the world so where would the wise people learn from)? It is just a proverb in our native language i translated to English which means that if the learners dont express themselves freely so how can we rectify them. It is good source of improving your english to express your feelings and thoughts to others and they check it.

Nanning
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Nanning »

Hi, my friend sweethuman!Where is your native land? Sweet and sour fish or pork is my favorite dish,hoho!
I know you can get some information from other sections,but I think it would be better we can learn when we do not realize it,it is very bad and sad to learn for the sake of learning. You advised us to learn from other people's fault, that seems funny and ridiculous. We have already a huge number of problems that we cannot solve, how do we need to learn from other's errors? And one thing should be made clear, we can learn from faults only when we know there is the better alternative available. You know why there are so many slang words and bad and unacceptable language forms in the real world, it is because the ones making communications can achieve their goals without using good English, which seems very convenient but very low in quality and to some extent will murder the language ultimately. For example, "he doesn't know" is good English, but "he don't know" is also understandable,either way is OK, then why bother to make difference, then things might become uncontrollable. In China, we use an English that is poles apart from the one used in other parts of the world, so it is natural we do not understand the Hollywood films without resorting to the Chinese language subtitles.
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweethuman »

Well my friend, As here in the forum we dont have any access to verbal communication, you can post your questions in the accurate sections and other members and forum teachers will respond to your questions. My personal advice for you regarding the accent and verbal communication improvement to you is that apart from EC you can also join yahoo chat rooms where you can find friends and do VOICE CHAT with them which will definitely improve your listening and speaking power. Here in this forum, as we cant speak to each other, so all the communication is done through texting, and you can post your queries and confusions in the relevant sections and wait for the other friends responses and opinions.
danielwelsch

Post by danielwelsch »

My feeling about this is that if you're effectively communicating, it doesn't really matter if you're speaking "authentic English."

Authentic English is such a broad category that in my mind it doesn't even really exist. People tell me that my English isn't authentic from time to time, just because they're expecting everyone to speak like their previous teachers. My English is just as authentic as anyone's!

Effectively communicating is the goal of learning languages, so just do it!