Do animals have a sense of humour?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

TalkingPoint
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Do animals have a sense of humour?

Post by TalkingPoint »

Do you think it's true that animals have a sense of humour?
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Yes. My dwarf hamster used to swing himself around his cage like Tarzan for fun. Now he's old so he doesn't do it anymore. But gosh, when he was young... Every night around 9 o'clock, he would get up, eat and then go to the bathroom. Then he would jump on his ballhouse and hold the wires of the lid on top his cage and swing himself around the cage like a little Tarzan. When he gets tired, he would do backflips. At first, I thought he wanted to get out, so I took him out. However, when he was out, he was still doing his backflips on my bed :lol: :lol: .
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

Definately; we have quite a few pets; ie a dog, bird, mouse. They all have characters my daughters bird gets angry with her when she doesn't show her attention, and will yell at her until she gets her out of the cage. Once out of the cage she is cute and cuddly.

Our dog is similar she will sit quietly all day until she has attention and then she is like a circus animal showing off her tricks etc. Quite funny really. When she is upset she looks at you with her big brown eyes (like let me in I need to sit with you).

I believe that most animals have their own personality; of course, they are like people.

I love them!!
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

shazzam1452 wrote: Our dog is similar she will sit quietly all day until she has attention and then she is like a circus animal showing off her tricks etc. Quite funny really. When she is upset she looks at you with her big brown eyes (like let me in I need to sit with you).
My cousin's dog chases his tail and barks at his T-bone treats for fun. Stupid dog :lol: . But cute as hell :wink: .
cristina

Post by cristina »

I don't know if pets have sense of humour but they have sense of opportunity. My neighbours cat always knows where to sit down so that nobody will disturb him.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

There's a show on American TV called "America's Funniest Home Videos" that have a lot of funny clips about pets doing crazy, silly and questionable things. It always gives me a stomachade from laughing whenever I watch the show.
http://abc.go.com/primetime/americasfunniest/
You can see some bits of the clips at this site. Let me check around more to see if there is any site that carries the full clips. I'm pretty sure the chance is not great, though.
WWilliam

Post by WWilliam »

In scientific world, it is necessary to define what is sense of humor. Is it the animal perform funny motion or response to the master's jokes will be classified as having sense of humor. I don't know, human is also animal..... :P
Ika

Post by Ika »

I don't know it in the means of science, but my cat enjoys playing hide and seek with me. And a lot of other things, like showing what he can do (like climbing and jumping) when I have visitors. Sometimes he behaves like a real clown.
"To know nothing is bad, to learn nothing is worse."
Norshan

Post by Norshan »

when animals do something funny i don't think we can consider it as a humour..may be something else i mean when animals do funny things,it is funny for us bt for them we don't know !! do you think it is funny for them too??
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Norshan wrote:when animals do something funny i don't think we can consider it as a humour..may be something else i mean when animals do funny things,it is funny for us bt for them we don't know !! do you think it is funny for them too??
I think they do it for fun, too. Like my cousin's dog. Sometimes we throw rawhides for him and he eat them right away when he could catch them. However, there are other times that he won't catch them and just bark or throw the things with his paws a bit first before he would lie down eating them. And when we're busy to play with him, he would sit for a bit, then he'd stand up chasing his tail.
Nawas

Post by Nawas »

yes of course,the animals are very senstive kind of creature .I have bird which play with me and share me the sad movement in my life. I hug them like my baby and he is attend whith me in my picnic .
The animals world is very wide world.
Glory to my God the Greatest....
Gwynfor

Post by Gwynfor »

It's true! They have it. Just have. I have seen millions of situations.
hung

Post by hung »

I donnot know but my stupid dog sometimes hug my leg, twitching and jerking. Is it called sense of humour? :roll:
novatena

Post by novatena »

hung wrote:I donnot know but my stupid dog sometimes hug my leg, twitching and jerking. Is it called sense of humour? :roll:
Yes, it is,I think.
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Do animals have a sense of humour?

Post by Krisi »

Yes. Even a fish has. :) I've watched a fish in an aquarium rubbing it's body against a rock. It's just going back and forth without getting tired. :) I was just laughing watching it. Surprising really!
esl member since 2007
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

TalkingPoint wrote:Do you think it's true that animals have a sense of humour?
Yes, they do. However, they cannot smile.
We're all friends, right?
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re:

Post by Tora »

LennyeTran wrote:There's a show on American TV called "America's Funniest Home Videos" that have a lot of funny clips about pets doing crazy, silly and questionable things. It always gives me a stomachade from laughing whenever I watch the show.
No wonder they are broadcasting it here, I'm watching it sometimes in the morning when I'm not hurrying for university. Stupid but funny :lol:

Well, I'm convinced animlas have quite a wide range of feelings and emotions. My dog doesn't have a lack of impudence, stubbornness and loving care, self-denial - those we ascribe for human beeings mostly. So why not to suppose they have a sense of humour. I'm sure she knows my gestures - when I smile she starts wagging her tail. when she was a puppy she used to bite the buttons off the matrass, I'm convinced she was doing it fo fun. and the way she eats fresh snow has me in stitches!

to Bambang - dogs can smile
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Re:

Post by Bambang »

Tora wrote: to Bambang - dogs can smile
How can they smile? Do they have smile muscles?
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

bambang wrote:
Many dog owners may prove the fact, dogs grin in such an amusing way when they see the master, the way that you can't observe in commom life
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

Tora wrote:
bambang wrote:
Many dog owners may prove the fact, dogs grin in such an amusing way when they see the master, the way that you can't observe in commom life
I know that dogs have some muscles of angre. But I am not sure if they have any muscles of smiles.
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

bambang wrote:
Once your pet dog's tail wags upon seeing you, you've got to look at its face then you'll see the smile. :)
esl member since 2007
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

krisi wrote:
bambang wrote:
Once your pet dog's tail wags upon seeing you, you've got to look at its face then you'll see the smile. :)
That's not a smile.
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

bambang wrote:
krisi wrote: Once your pet dog's tail wags upon seeing you, you've got to look at its face then you'll see the smile. :)
That's not a smile.
It is Uncle B. Look at the eyes. And I can tell too if my dog is sad. :P
esl member since 2007
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

krisi wrote:
bambang wrote:
krisi wrote: Once your pet dog's tail wags upon seeing you, you've got to look at its face then you'll see the smile. :)
That's not a smile.
Dogs have some muscles of sadness and anger. But they don't have any muscles of smile as far as I know.
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

bambang wrote:
krisi wrote:
bambang wrote: That's not a smile.
Dogs have some muscles of sadness and anger. But they don't have any muscles of smile as far as I know.
You should see my dog...
They said, that the pet acquires the character of the owner. Do you believe in that? :P
Last edited by Krisi on Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esl member since 2007
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Well, it was you who made me torture my doggie! Actually, it is far from what she does when meets us, but it is like that way - the corners of her lips... erm... chaps gather all together. we dogowners call this grin a smile usually, far from hollywood one

to bambang
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

Tora wrote:Well, it was you who made me torture my doggie! Actually, it is far from what she does when meets us, but it is like that way - the corners of her lips... erm... chaps gather all together. we dogowners call this grin a smile usually, far from hollywood one

to bambang
a cute one.
suyingwu

Post by suyingwu »

When my cat wakes me up with his claws in the morning, I really think he has a sense of humor. Sometimes I think he means to do something get me angry, then he can laugh at my reactions. I think he acts his sense of humor in a different way, but there is no doubt that animals have a sense of humor. I totally agree with that. :lol:
suyingwu

Post by suyingwu »

If you had observed a monkey imitates human behavior, you may find out it has something in common with human. When a monkey copies our reactions, it seems try to prove that we will laugh at the reactions. It is similar like how pets entertain their masters.
When my cat wakes me up with his claws in the morning, I really think he has a sense of humor. Sometimes I think he means to do something get me angry, then he can laugh at my reactions. I think he acts his sense of humor in a different way, but there is no doubt that animals have a sense of humor.
On this basis, it may be concluded that animals have a sense of humor. When they do something funny, they seem tend to catch our attention.
Atluri

Post by Atluri »

yes ,my titan knows when i will back to home.he is waiting for me.he give shake hand.he walk around me. {-:
shafoo

Post by shafoo »

i have watched many clips on youtube i which animals are doing funny things.but i think these kind of things are funny for us not for them.they are just doing like normal.so i think they have no sense of humour...
minjikim

Post by minjikim »

OMG!
I don`t think they have a sense of humor!
Animal can recognize object but it`s limited to think cognitively.
I mean, they can notice which one is milk and book, but they can not have a process of thinking..
Therefore, they can`t think what would be funny or humorous. Maybe it is possible to behave cute or funny but they can not have a sense of humor!
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweethuman »

IDK
Elisa
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elisa »

I don't think pets have the senso of humor. You need to be really clever to have it.
It is rare to find it even in people
I think pets like playing {-:
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweethuman »

Elisa wrote: It is rare to find it even in people
{-:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Elisa
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elisa »

:roll: :shock: :lol:
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

They do. I can tell it by their tails when they are happy or sad. I can see the glow from their faces too. When my labrador was still alive, he cried in front of me when I bid goodbye to him. I never had thought that it would be the last time for me to see him. :-(
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweethuman »

Krisi wrote:They do. I can tell it by their tails when they are happy or sad. I can see the glow from their faces too. When my labrador was still alive, he cried in front of me when I bid goodbye to him. I never had thought that it would be the last time for me to see him. :-(
Hmmm so you mean that you know alot animals as well huh? have you been with MOUGLY in stories? :lol:
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

sweethuman wrote:
Krisi wrote:They do. I can tell it by their tails when they are happy or sad. I can see the glow from their faces too. When my labrador was still alive, he cried in front of me when I bid goodbye to him. I never had thought that it would be the last time for me to see him. :-(
Hmmm so you mean that you know alot animals as well huh? have you been with MOUGLY in stories? :lol:
I have my dogs in mind when I replied on this. anyway, thanks for your comment.
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweethuman »

Oh okay then fine. Anyway I have never kept any animals for self intrest.
ArnauEstanyol
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ArnauEstanyol »

I think that what we do is to humanize our animals. The animals have developed some primary emotions and instinctive behaviours but they have no rational mechanisms, so they don't have the ability to develop the humour sense.

That's not an absolute truth. We cannot compare the mental mechanism of a chimpanzee with a frog.
vijai

Post by vijai »

yes,they do.i have seen it from dogs.i think most of you have seen that.
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

vijai wrote:yes,they do.i have seen it from dogs.i think most of you have seen that.
I agree with you. For those who haven't had a chance to own a dog, they won't understand.
emilkatok

Post by emilkatok »

Yes, they do !

I have dog and cat. My dog is old but always he want playing. He runs with his toys for example bone, stone or ball. I see that he is smiling , because his eyes gleam. My dog sometimes makes me joke. He takes me my shoes and he carrys them outdoor.
My cat is bigger comic. My cat called Drapka. She is prankster. She runs everywhere. When I do my homework, she sits on my desk and knock down everything. She like biting when someone sleep, because she want playing all time.

Accordnig to my example , and other fanny stories I can tell: ANIMALS HAVE A SENSE OD HUMOR. meybe sometimes animals have bigger a sense od humor than some people. {-:
mcIlob

Post by mcIlob »

I suppose animals do not have a sense of humor but they are friendly and sometimes they can do something funny or silly and it makes us smile and laugh, but I don't think that is an evidence of a sense of humor.
lesoli

Post by lesoli »

I don't know if animals have a sense of humour. Some people talk to their pets but I think that they don't understand them. Animals have got they own language which people will never get to know. But some animals do funny things like getting around in circles and that makes us laugh .
alexandra

Post by alexandra »

I don't agree with this expression, because animals can't speak and tell f.e. jokes. They make somebody smile, but this doesn't mean: "They have a sense of humour". Moreover, that, animals perform ridiculous activites, doesn't signify the view.
Klaudyna

Post by Klaudyna »

I think that it isn't true that animals have a sense of humor because they are only animals and they aren't like people who can talk, laugh and feel. I know that animals sometimes can do a lot of funny things and they can put on a variety of funny and crazy positions but nonetheless in my opinin they haven't a sense of humor because they aren't beings who are able to communicate through speech.
Duccini

Post by Duccini »

Well, if this is not sense of humour, somebody please tell me what it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfOW2CKoobE
wojcieszek

Post by wojcieszek »

I think it's true that animals have a sense of humour. Many people record videos as their pets behave ridiculously. For example, dance or move his head to the beat of the music.

I also had a funny situation with a dog my grandparents when I was six years old. Max was huge so I was afraid of him and always walked to the shed with my grandfather. One day I couldn't go for a grandfather, so Max ran up to me and put his paws on my shoulders. I got scared and I fell to the ground, and Max just started licking me. I was terrified, and for him it was fun.