Expressing actions with others and me in sentencing

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

caseypons

Expressing actions with others and me in sentencing

Post by caseypons »

Is there ever a case when referring to others and yourself when you would reference yourself before the mentioning of others. As an example. If some one asked me, "who is I going to be at the party?" Would you ever say,"Myself and Dick, Jane, and Kathy. As opposed to, "Kathy, Jane, Dick and myself. Or would it be incorrect referring to (myself) lastly and should you use (I) instead.
Is there a rule that goes along with this referencing, or is it just a practice. I guess I am really asking two questions here. This confuses me to this day!!! I hope this make sense?
Thank you so much for your assistance.
caseypons

Re: Expressing actions with others and me in sentencing

Post by caseypons »

The following is my actual question, not the above question. I deleted the (I) in the first sentence of the example. That must have been a typo on my part as per the initial submition. My Bad! :oops:

[quote]Is there ever a case when referring to others and yourself when you would reference yourself before the mentioning of others. As an example. If some one asked me, "who is going to be at the party?" Would you ever say,"Myself, Dick, Jane, and Kathy. As opposed to, "Kathy, Jane, Dick and myself. Or would it be incorrect referring to (myself) lastly and should you use (I) instead.
Is there a rule that goes along with this referencing, or is it just a practice. I guess I am really asking two questions here. This confuses me to this day!!! I hope this make sense?
Thank you so much for your assistance.[quote]
TheStephen

Re: Expressing actions with others and me in sentencing

Post by TheStephen »

caseypons wrote:Is there ever a case when referring to others and yourself when you would reference yourself before the mentioning of others. As an example. If some one asked me, "who is going to be at the party?" Would you ever say,"Myself, Dick, Jane, and Kathy. As opposed to, "Kathy, Jane, Dick and myself. Or would it be incorrect referring to (myself) lastly and should you use (I) instead.
You could say myself first, but putting it last is more common. I is also correct there, but it must be at the end.
Thank you so much for your assistance.
It's pretty much just practice. There is no rule saying I must be at the end, but that's what we do. It sounds better to us. Myself and me are a bit more lax, in that they can be at either the start or the end, but they are more commonly placed at the end. The only rules here are really the choice of pronoun depending on whether you are an object or subject.