since 1997, the world's premier FREE website for learners + teachers of English

How do I regain my confidence in speaking English?

Feel free to post here :)

Moderators: Krisi, Vega, EC, Dixie

aja675

How do I regain my confidence in speaking English?

Postby aja675 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:24 pm

I used to be a native speaker, but I've forgotten my confidence in speaking it because of peer pressure/bullying. As you could see, I was born and raised in a non-English speaking country.

Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Re: How do I regain my confidence in speaking English?

Postby Dixie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:35 pm

aja675 wrote:I used to be a native speaker, but I've forgotten my confidence in speaking it because of peer pressure/bullying. As you could see, I was born and raised in a non-English speaking country.

Hi,

I don't understand, you used to be a native speaker, yet you were born in a non-English speaking country? Could you give us more details?

I think the only way to regain your confidence is simple: speaking. Once you start, more than half the road is done! ;-)

mattyppz

Postby mattyppz » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:04 am

Best way to get that comfortable with a foreign language is to do writing essays in English. It will drastically improve your speaking skills as well as your vocabulary.

K1ara

Postby K1ara » Thu May 02, 2013 12:38 pm

I agree with Dixie.
Although it is always difficult to speak a foreign language.. you learn by speaking and practicing it in real life :)

rishisehrawat

Postby rishisehrawat » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:57 am

There could be many reasons for loosing confidence. When you say that the reason in your case is peer pressure and bullying. Now this could either be loosing confidence in general and might have nothing to do with English or any other language. A good way of testing this is to check if you have problems with other languages too or is it just English.

Now if it's just English that you are loosing confidence in then you need to work on it. There is no short cut to this. Try to gauge which areas of English you have a problem with and then work on them.

Also, sometimes when we stop using a language for a long enough time then we might find a decline in our proficiency levels. So, if you were good at English earlier but have lost confidence in it because you stopped using it then all you have to do is pick up a book and read aloud for 30 mins to 60 mins a day and you will find that within a few days your English is getting better again. Make sure that you use English as much as possible because if you will stop using it you will see yourself getting worse in it.

(A native speaker is the one who has English as his/her mother tongue)
Rishi Sehrawat
Impact Training Services
http://www.impactlanguagetraining.com

Return to “General Discussion”