Everybody is phobic about something

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderators: Vega, Krisi, TalkingPoint

Post Reply
User avatar
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:21 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: England

Everybody is phobic about something

Post by TalkingPoint » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:38 pm

Everybody is phobic about something

What do YOU think?

Wordchecker
phobic (adjective): extremely or irrationally afraid of something

User avatar
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 2252
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:59 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by Vega » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:32 am

This is a very interesting topic. Here is a list of all phobias http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_phobias

User avatar
Masha
Silver Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:21 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: Belarus(Eastern Europe)

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by Masha » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:48 pm

I think it's true. We all have inexplicable fears, which can sometimes take over us and immobilize our will. I'm afraid of height, for example. I haven't been able to overcome this fear since my childhood. But at the same time it's so natural for people to be afraid of something. This world is full of dangers, and in order to survive we must always be cautious and alert.

halfknot
Silver Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:01 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by halfknot » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:14 pm

I never really thought about this. I don't believe everybody is phobic about something, i'm not phobic about anything as far as I know.
I'm posting to improve my English. If you see any grammar/vocabulary mistake in my post, please let me know.

kittyhoang
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:22 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by kittyhoang » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:22 am

Yes, it is correct for me.
I am afraid of water. I feel dizzy when I am in front of the sea or on the bridge. In my hometown, there are many "monkey" bridges. I cannot be over these bridges.

Jessiejin
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:52 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by Jessiejin » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:43 am

kittyhoang wrote:Yes, it is correct for me.
I am afraid of water. I feel dizzy when I am in front of the sea or on the bridge. In my hometown, there are many "monkey" bridges. I cannot be over these bridges.
it's very strange. I think few person are afraid of it. What happened on you?
Please don't hesitate to let me know my mistakes in grammar, vocabularies, or anything else. Thank you in advance.

Jessiejin
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:52 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by Jessiejin » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:54 am

Something extremely scared.... snake, or something that moves soundless. I am afraid for that that suddenly comes around me.
Please don't hesitate to let me know my mistakes in grammar, vocabularies, or anything else. Thank you in advance.

User avatar
Tora
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1150
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:57 pm
Status: Other
Location: Moscow

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by Tora » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:31 am

Well, not a phobia completely... I'll sound innatural, but sometimes I'm afraid of being not able to get the joy of motherhood, I suppose many women share that fear but are shy to says so

doxology
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:47 am
Status: English Learner
Location: England

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by doxology » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:28 pm

yup ,totally I agree with this notion


LOL , there is no brave one :lol: I have a phobia from animals ,I get scared when I see cats or dogs even birds :mrgreen: as they will beat me!

when I was a child I fear from the dark , especially when one of my realstives die , I feel as they will survive and come to take me with them<<< alittle bit crazy

yiuho
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:13 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by yiuho » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:51 am

I feel very shy when I speak to public, always can't talk smoothly...I don't know how to overcome it, I wonder if you could help me.

User avatar
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 2252
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:59 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by Vega » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:02 pm

yiuho wrote:I feel very shy when I speak to public, always can't talk smoothly...I don't know how to overcome it, I wonder if you could help me.
Try NLP courses in your city. Or read some Dale Carnegie's books (Public Speaking and Influencing Men in Business, Public Speaking for Success, etc.)

kittyhoang
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:22 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by kittyhoang » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:52 pm

Jessiejin wrote:
kittyhoang wrote:Yes, it is correct for me.
I am afraid of water. I feel dizzy when I am in front of the sea or on the bridge. In my hometown, there are many "monkey" bridges. I cannot be over these bridges.
it's very strange. I think few person are afraid of it. What happened on you?
Thanks. It is okay, there is nothing happened. I am still alive.

There are some people afraid of something oddly. It is normal.

User avatar
lyphan
Silver Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:44 am
Status: English Learner
Location: Hanoi-Vietnam
Contact:

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by lyphan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:13 am

So true to me. I'm afraid of so many things.
Firstly I can't stand staying alone because I'm afraid of ghost.
Secondly I'm afraid that someone especially my family members or my friends angry with me or leave me no reason.
Thirdly I'm frightened of darkness, cats, and snakes.

mimilla
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:38 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by mimilla » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:30 pm

In what concerns me, I am phobic about more than one thing, first thing that frighten me is high places, I feel dizzy and like I am going to fall down, second thing I am afraid of is darkness, my last phobia is about dead people, I know that is crazy because they cannot do anything to anyone, however I get scared by thinking of them :s :s

anuu
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:51 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: poland

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by anuu » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:39 pm

im terrified when i see spiders..even on the sheet of paper!those legs, brrr...one day when i woke up, i saw one of them over my head...!after that i moved to my grandma cause i had nightmares and a feeling that they are dropping on my head..!sometimes i thing that maybe i will have problems with that in the future cause this phobia is getting bigger every year...what is funny im going to be a biologist one day..;)oh!and i hate bugs too!
so i think that everyone is afraid of something..recently i was reading about a boy who is frightened of snow!and another who cant stand flowers..!that is really weird, dont you think..?

coolg
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:51 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by coolg » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:11 pm

I don't really know if my changing fears can be classified among "phobias". I can discover my real scares after every situations in my life. So, my current fear is about taking decision. And I wonder why it gives me so much anxiety.

User avatar
abcdefgh
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:27 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by abcdefgh » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:10 am

Phobias do exist but once you learn to handle them, they no longer scare you. When I am familiar with something or somebody, I don't fear from it. For example, in India, I have seen the street magicians playing with snakes. Public speaking scares me but once I prepare to speak in public, I feel comfortable. It is necessary to know what you fear from and then how the fear can be handled. :-D

msaabneh
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:40 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by msaabneh » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:17 am

i think my phobia is the weirdest one here. i got terrified when i got close to someone or something (especially expensive things) because i thought that person would think that i would steal sth from him.however, i overcame that.thank god. 0_o

User avatar
sweethuman
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1144
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 7:18 am
Status: Other
Contact:

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by sweethuman » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:29 am

Yes I agree. Now adays everyone is phobic and they should be, because now adays everywhere such an environment is made that everyone has a fear in his/her heart

alexandra
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:48 am
Status: English Learner
Location: Poland

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by alexandra » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:07 pm

In my point of view every person is afraid of something, but he or she isn't tell us about it. Why? Because they want to be seen as brave. People scared about many things, but I don't think it is at once phobia in every human.

dariakur
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:55 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by dariakur » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:33 am

I don't belive in phobia. I know that everybody is afraid of something, but for me this is just a fear, natural felling. When you think about it all the time you scare yourself and after many years your brain will be distroyed. This is not suspicious that you think that you have a phobia and you have a panic attack. This is something like reliance on imaging on thinking that this is true and that you have to scared of it. I'm very sceared of spiders. When I was younger I thought that this may be a phobia, but I realized that in fact this is just a creature of my imagination and that's all. So If you think you have a phobia think about my post and consider about it.

mcIlob
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:57 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by mcIlob » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:27 pm

I think that almost all humans are scared of sth. Nowadays it is popular to find a phobia for ourselves when in the world there are a lot of different types of phobias, but if we are afraid of sth., it doesn't mean that we have a phobia.

lesoli
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:11 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by lesoli » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:01 pm

In my opinion it isn't true. I think that everybody is afraid of somethink, but most of them can master it. Some people have phobias. It could be caused by different things. Someone can have phobic about spider. He is all time thinking about it. He can cure by walking on therapy to psychologist. I know people who have been cured of phobias but there are people who haven't been cured and they have phobias still.

olamro
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:24 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by olamro » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:07 pm

In my opinion everybody is afraid of something, but it doesn’t have to mean, that somebody has a phobia about something. When we don’t think about thing that scared us, we don’t paninc, but when we think everyday how much we are afraid we begin to belive in that. When we encounter with the thing that we are scared of, we become histeric.

Klaudyna
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:53 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by Klaudyna » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:07 pm

I think that everybody is phobic about something because in the world there is no person who wouldn't feel fear of something. Although in my point of view people often don't admit to this or they think that this is a little problem in their life. But in fact it is a big problem because their life is dependent on their phobia and because of this some of them are becoming confined.

kassliw
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:18 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by kassliw » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:30 am

I think it would be impossible to prove that everybody has a phobia. I find it highly unlikely that everybody does have a phobia. If you take a logical approach to fear, then anything that may cause harm to you or others would be a legitimate fear, not a phobia.

StoKin
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:01 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by StoKin » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:42 am

In my point of view not all people is phobic about something. For example some people maybe scared of spiders or snakes and when they see it they get goosebumps and they tremble. Then we can say that this people have a phobia. But everybody is scared about something for example bugs. Its disgusting and then we are afraid that it can do something for us. But in my opinion it doesn't phobia but only bias.

alicjapie
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:41 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by alicjapie » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:47 pm

I agree with the majority. Everyone is afraid of something, but that doesn't mean that each of us has a phobia. Often misuse the words "phobia", for example - "spiders are scary, therefore I have a phobia of spiders". And then it is said that so many people have phobias ... already know why.

Wojteeek
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:15 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by Wojteeek » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:17 pm

I also agree with previous users, everybody is afraid of something, but not everyone panics when see source of its fear. For example i used to be afraid of heights but i didn't scream as hell when i was on place like bridge, i just felt uncomfortable but in my opinion it wasn't phobia. To sum up from my point of view most of nowadays fears isn't phobia but just fears.

wojcieszek
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:53 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by wojcieszek » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:31 pm

I think it's normal that everyone is afraid of something. We are only human and not robots so we can feel fear. Most people stop being afraid when they are older or have to face your fears. When I was younger I had a fear of heights. I was afraid to go down the stairs three meter. I still have this fear but to a small extent.

RogelikIID
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:50 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by RogelikIID » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:18 pm

TalkingPoint wrote:Everybody is phobic about something

What do YOU think?

Wordchecker
phobic (adjective): extremely or irrationally afraid of something
In my point of view it isn't true because we can't say that everybody is phobic about somethink. Of course everyone is afraid of somethink but it is phobia. Phobia can be called fear with one has health consequences.

emilkatok

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by emilkatok » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:43 pm

I agree , that everybody is phobic about something. It is cause through some expiriences from childhood. We afraid different things for example spiders, closed spices, frogs or dogs. In my opinion, it is normal. Sometimes we can't explain our bahaviour, but usually phobies are connected with predicament. I also have phobic. I scared of thunderstorm very much . While the storm I to panic. I hide myself under blancet. when is storm I can't be alone. I think, nowadays people have more and more phobic. Our entertaiment is changing. We meet different weather phenomena.It is dangerous for us.

rokwysocka
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:08 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by rokwysocka » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:18 pm

In my mind everybody has some phobia but not everybody knows about it. Someone says he is afraid of anything but the true is he hasn't tried everything in his life so in fact he don't know he is. I don't belive that we haven't our weak side. I think each of our brains have deep hide something which we extremely fear.

Tkiewicz
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:17 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by Tkiewicz » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:12 pm

I strongly believe that everybody has some irrational fears which he/she can't explain. It doesn't depend on us, we just afraid of something and we don't control it. There are a therapies for people who suffer from phobias and I think this confirms that phobias exist

krozmar
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:34 pm
Status: English Learner

Everybody is phobic about something

Post by krozmar » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:38 pm

I believe that not everyone has a phobia. Every man is afraid of something but do not interfere with the functioning of society as in the case of phobias. The vast majority of women squealing when they see a mouse, a spider or snake but it is only plain fear. From my point of view symptoms phobia are sweating, dizziness and a feeling of loss control over their behavior.

RogelikIID
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:50 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by RogelikIID » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:27 pm

I disagree with this opinion because in point of view everybody are scared of something but scare it isn't the same as phobia If you are phobic you are very scared and you have some health problem like feeling dizzy or feeling nauseous. So I think that not everyone are phobic.

nicbase
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:35 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by nicbase » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:24 pm

:-| I think it is true that everybody is phobic about sth, lots of children are fear of darkness, they hate spent time in dark spieces. I heart that some children cry and imagine some unussual creatures which scared them when they wake up at night. Some childs have a fear of spiders and dogs, so they are trying to avoid them. A lot of adults have a fear of thunder. This information doesn't suprise me. I also hate storm. I'm sure that the majority of people have a phobia of sth, because scientists discover a lot of new phobias, so people think that they have a few phobias. Who knows probably they have a phobia which wasn't discovered yet. Don't worry ! You might not have any phobias! :-|

User avatar
alicpryl
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:17 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by alicpryl » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:52 pm

In my opinion it's hard to tell. I think that lots of people are phobic about something.
For example some people feel the fear of water, darkness or spiders.
Each of us has some phobias but it is not always significant.
I really don't like spiders but in fact I don't know whether it is a phobia or I'm only afraid of them.

User avatar
aladrelich
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:35 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by aladrelich » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:22 pm

I thinkt that people just thinks that they are phobic, beause they read too much articles. They are just afraid of something for exaple spiders or snakes.
Some people are really phobic and they are not just afraid but they are frightened when they see that or feel sometking on skin.

natalianowak
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:09 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by natalianowak » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:42 pm

I suppose that people think that they are phobics, because on the internet or in tv we have a lot of things about this. In fact people don't know whether are phobics. Only specialist doctor can diagnose fobia. But people forget about this and frequently they consult with tv or internet. These sources of knowledge are not reliable.

Lucywa
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:44 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by Lucywa » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:05 pm

This statement may have two versions of their answers. I think some people are phobic about something. They don't like for example dark, spider , dog and etc. Some phobic are conscious, but the other - are unconscious. My friend is afraid of the elevator and when she comes to me , Asia always enters the stairs even though I have elevator in my block.

agatawerecka
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:28 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by agatawerecka » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:40 pm

As far as im concerned I'm not phobic and I'm pretty sure that everyone is afraid of something, but this is not always phobia. Nowadays, many people are told themself that have some phobias. It's all thanks to this great ability to access a wealth of information. A long time ago there was no such possibility, there was no phobia.

wiktoriasz
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:14 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by wiktoriasz » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:54 pm

I think that a lot of people feel fear of something but it isn't a phobia. Phobia is something seriously difficult to deal with it and something that does not allow one to move and etc. In conclusion man is able to overcome the fear but when have phobias man need special treatment. Because not all sitting at the doctor in my opinion not everyone have a phobia.

NaKuzajewska
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:22 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by NaKuzajewska » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:55 pm

When it comes to phobia I claim that people often think that they are phobic about something, but in fact they just afraid on it. In the XXI century people have easy access to websites, they read articles about phobia and think that they really have it, but I think that only doctors say that someone has phobia and then they should treat it, because it can make life really difficult.

justynasta
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:15 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by justynasta » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:10 pm

Firstly we should gloss the concept 'phobia', because actually a lot of people don't know what it is. Phobia is a type of anxiety disorder, usually defined as a persistent fear of an object or situation. This definition was created somehow. It means that people are phobic about something. But is everyone ? In my opinion not everyone is phobic about something. I know some who don't afraid of nothing, but I also know some who fear terribly for example dogs or heights. A few years ago I was phobic about spiders, so I understand people who are phobic.

kowalskidzik
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:32 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by kowalskidzik » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:44 pm

Yes, I think that everybody has a phobia. I do not know a person who would not be afraid of anything. Not long ago we had a lesson on this subject and all the students said that they have phobias. I am personally afraid of spiders. When I see them I have chills. Phobia for spiders is quite common.

OskiDz
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:28 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by OskiDz » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:49 pm

I believe that everybody has a phobia but then it grows . Nowadays I think people often talk themselves into various phobias which do not really have.

KubaKoi
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:27 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by KubaKoi » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:14 pm

No, I don't agree everybody is phobic about something. We are phobic about something, when we panic about something or we can't stand it. I think more people are just afraid of something, they aren't phobic. They feel fear or they panic in some situations, but it isn't phobic. In my opinion everybody is afraid about something, it's normal for me, but everybody isn't phobic about something of course.

klamolga
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:33 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by klamolga » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:22 pm

I strongly believe that everyone have some kind of fears. Contrary to the common opinion the bravest ones usually have also the greatest fears. So how it comes out that they can overcome them? They just acknowledge their weaknesses and face them with courage. In the end of the day fear is an abstract feeling which exist only in our head. So do not lost your head about it!‏

OlaaMej
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:35 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by OlaaMej » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:42 pm

In my opinion - yes. Today every single human has a phobia becouse there is so much of them. Sometimes we don't even know if we are phobic. It's enough to not tolerate something very much and it can be your phobia. For example, I'm typical phobic - I have claustrophobia but my sister starts to panic when she see a spider. For me all our fears are a ours own phobias.

Adifanstal
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:43 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by Adifanstal » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:51 pm

I think every person is scared about something, but in my opinion a phobia is too big word. For example bungee-jumping scares many of people, but this is not a phobia, because it isn's somethink that we can't defeat.

MajaPu
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:30 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by MajaPu » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:41 pm

In my opinion some people are phobic about sth, but not everyone. In my case- I'm phobic about cleaning my hands. I mean, I'm cleaning my hands hundred times by day and I'm talking literally! :D I do it because I have that feeling that I have dirty hands and when I don't wash them I have sth like panic attacks haha ;) I always have with me specially gels for washing hands without water haha ;)

itspaulina
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:41 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: Poland

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by itspaulina » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:36 pm

I don't know if it's true. Phobia is a big word. Sometimes it's just a fear of something. When I was a child I was afraid of Santa Claus.. I know it's the funniest kind of fear ever but it happened to me ;-) I know that everyone is afraid of different things like spiders, thunders or even clowns! Fear is a natural part of being human. I don't say that nobody is phobic but.. Is it always a phobia? I don't think so.. :-)

annmadej
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:12 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by annmadej » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:56 pm

I think that not everyone have a phobic, i think that a lot of people mislead normal fear with phobic. For example i really dont like public speaches but i think that is normal fear like everyone have.

kruwik
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:00 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by kruwik » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:48 pm

In my opinion everybody is phobic about something. Someone is arachnophobic, somebody needs clearly room and other person is afraid of bacteries. I think it is normal thing, but not every phobia is normal!! Some of them impacts on health and it isn't good for us.

User avatar
Krisi
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 4133
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:48 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by Krisi » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:47 pm

Vega wrote:This is a very interesting topic. Here is a list of all phobias http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_phobias
:ok: :ok:
useful! :-)
esl member since 2007

User avatar
ritzkevin
Silver Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:39 am
Status: English Teacher
Location: Philippines

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by ritzkevin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:32 pm

I have my own share of phobias too. Is there someone out there who doesn't have any phobia at all?
Ritz Kevin

Online English teacher/language trainer

Do you want to improve your English or Filipino? I can help. FREE trial

Skype id: housedog1983

Watch my YouTube video: https://youtu.be/iUDpoMJcdso

User avatar
lindacartwright
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:04 am
Status: English Teacher
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Post by lindacartwright » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:50 pm

Yes, I agree on this. Some phobias are widely recognized and stem from the rational things. Such as fear of snakes or insects - these can be venomous, so our ancestors who were phobic about snakes and insects had higher chances of survival and, therefore, passing their phobias to us.
Other phobias are quite rare or indeed unique. They are based on individual experiences and traumas (fear of clowns, fear of number 13, fear of drinking liquids).
However, there is hardly an individual who does not have a secret exaggerated fear of something. I know I have my share :lol:
Linda is a writer and an educator, passionate about technology and digital tools. She collaborates with many initiatives like PaperHelp company that combine the best of two worlds.

Post Reply