Help for learning English

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

carolgrey

Help for learning English

Post by carolgrey »

I am preparing for TOEFL Ibt, but my ability in English is a little weak. especially in speaking skill, so if tutors, friends who know how to speak English well, please show me.
Maybe I can say my speaking skills is really terrible. I say without stress and no intonation. My speech is always level.

Please share your experiences in improving in English skills.
Thanks in advance
Best regards.
Sabrina

Re: Help for learning English

Post by Sabrina »

In my experience the best way to speak English is to practice with natives. The challenge is to find ways to speak with native speakers over a period of time. I'm looking for sites/forums that can help but still haven't found a lot.

I also like listening to audiobooks and reading books aloud.Also, watch movies without subtitles on.
herbertb

Post by herbertb »

carolgrey wrote:I am preparing for TOEFL Ibt, but my ability in English is a little weak. especially in speaking skill, so if tutors, friends who know how to speak English well, please show me.
Maybe I can say my speaking skills is really terrible. I say without stress and no intonation. My speech is always level.

Please share your experiences in improving in English skills.
Thanks in advance
Best regards.
Hello,

I am also preparing for TOEFL Ibt, I am kind of nervous because although I am good at reading and writing, I am not very good at speaking, so I thought I would come here for suggestions. I have been just going around the city speaking with as many people as possible, for example, I go to the store and just speak with the sales clerk, or I go to church and talk with the person next to me, it really helps.
ZivaDavid

Post by ZivaDavid »

TOFEL or IELTS evaluates the reading writing and the grammar knowledge. It's just a scoring system. So if you want to converse fluently then you have to practice it with someone who is good at it.
LinguaTutor

Post by LinguaTutor »

Hello.

The best way to learn English is to just go out there, speak and build confidence. Go to a movie theatre, go shopping, etc. You need to be exposed to the English culture and familiarize yourself with every individuals way of speaking since everyone has their own accents, pronunciations, etc.

Of course, other methods are watch English tv shows/movies, tutoring, schooling, and more.
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity »

I agree with the person who said watch English tv shows/films, listen to the radio online, audio books (maybe while reading it in your own language).
The best way to get fluent is to speak it with natives.
optilse

Post by optilse »

There are many ways to do it. My teacher once said that if you are in predominantly English speaking land, speak with the natives to hone your speaking/comprehension skills. If not, there are other alternatives like English movies, NEWS, and music.
ScottR

Post by ScottR »

optilse wrote:There are many ways to do it. My teacher once said that if you are in predominantly English speaking land, speak with the natives to hone your speaking/comprehension skills. If not, there are other alternatives like English movies, NEWS, and music.
I have found when learning another language you have to be fully immersed in speaking it. You have to learn how to speak it with no safety nets. That is people that speak the your native language. If you are forced to speak it you are forced to learn.

nehaali

Post by nehaali »

ome great tips for learning.

Realistic goals and immersion in the language are especially good tips.

I always tell my students to not worry about making mistakes because they WILL make mistakes, so don't get hung up about them!
neha