Fame. Is it the new religion?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

TalkingPoint
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Post by TalkingPoint »

Fame. Is it the new religion? People used to worship god(s); now they worship film stars, sports players, princesses and pop singers. In the past people respected faith, now they respect fame.
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sheff

Fame - Religion?

Post by Sheff »

If fame is the new religion, then we can take comfort in the fact it will not last long. I think we are all entiled to our fifteen minutes of fame (religion)?
annika petrozzi

Post by annika petrozzi »

I don't really think it is true. Most people like to be famous, but the way to do it is very hard.
In a religion you pray to God, you with your community participate in many activities and you care for the well-being of others; if you had the fame of a god, you would only think of yourself.
kemfisz

Re: Fame. Is it the new religion?

Post by kemfisz »

I agree with this opinion. Some people do everything to become fame. All these reality shows - take part to them is means five minutes of flame. It is horrible. kemfisz

Is fame the new religion? People used to worship god(s), now they worship film stars, sports players, princesses and pop singers. In the past people respected faith, now they respect fame. Do you agree?[/quote]
I'm from Poland. I would like to improve my English. Then, I would like meet people from all over the world.
hamid

It is terrible

Post by hamid »

I agree with you.Many young man and woman like to be fame.
Beacase they can not be fame they worship other famous peopel.It is terrible!
Dithzie

Post by Dithzie »

I don't think so. Fame doesn't last but religion endures...
Iamwhoam
Honey

Post by Honey »

I partially agree. First, thinking of myself and only myself isn't a new thing. Yet, in these generations, this attitude is more evident. I also agree in the fact that it's ephemeral, it doesn't last (thank heaven!). What I'd say is that people forget religion for their proud. However, these selfish people can't neither worship themselves nor talke a look at someone else.

They're going nuts!!! :roll:
Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday
crazyoddygal

Post by crazyoddygal »

i think people now desire to have the FAME bcos they see the power and money in that kind of thing.
some seem to admire crazily a film star or a pop singer. but they can change their mind in a moment. so this can't prove that people love fame. if they love fame, they want themselves to be famous, not those strange stars.
ashes to ashes
dust to dust ...
Anin

fame and us....

Post by Anin »

I think not all the people desire to be famous, some of them are even afraid of it. But, what attracts them is money and a comfortable life without any fears or worries. In Slovakia, has recently ended one TV singing competition. And the attitudes of the main protagonists were various. Some of them had been happy about it, the others were bothered by it and there was even one who couldn´t cope with it and give it up untimely.
I think people look on the fame only in the positive way. But all coins has two faces...
Hi I am 18 and I would like to change my opinions with you.
rakyung

Post by rakyung »

It's true.I agree with this opinion. Someone do everything to become fame. All these reality shows - take part in them is means five minutes of flame. It is horrible.

Is fame the new religion? People used to worship god, now they worship film stars, sports players, princesses and pop singers. In the past people respected faith, now they respect fame. I think the problem is celibrity.
nawras

Post by nawras »

:!: I don't agree with you
ishtiaqmetho

Post by ishtiaqmetho »

i don't agree with you because there is quite difference between fame and religion.

secondly, mostly famous people give the credit of their fame to God,
fame is temporary condition but the position of GOD is permanent.
kassliw

Post by kassliw »

I don't agree with fame is a new religion, because religion is an organized collection of beliefs , cultural systems , and world views for people. Sometimes celebrity have difficult life by fans.I would guess that for the majority of people, being constantly in the public eye and being followed by fans and the paparazzi are nuisances. Some famous people was murdered or stabbed to death by a stalker, and i think noone can't murder God.
lesoli

Post by lesoli »

I don't agree with this stetament. We believe in God and somebody famous can't be God. We can imitate him/her but he can't be our God. He should behave accordingly to give an example to others for example small children who mimic older and take them as an examlple.
mcIlob

Post by mcIlob »

I think I can say that people handle fame like a religion. I totally agree that nowadays people are more interested in some famous people’s life than their God. They prefer to imitate behavior and clothes from stars not from saints. More and more often a lot of young people want to become fame but less and less people pay attention to religion.
They have to remember that any film star, sport player or pop singer not to substitute for God.
AnaCris

Post by AnaCris »

I think for some people fame is the new religion. Nowadays there are some people who are capable of unimaginable things to achieve success and to become famous.

Just turn on your TV or read newspapers and magazines and you will see people doing crazy things to achieve fame. Eventually, it can become an addiction for some.

AnaCris
rokwysocka

Post by rokwysocka »

In my mind it isn't because famous people often don't represent good behaviour. They haven't apprioprate rules in their lifes which could imitate their fans. God should to show how we can duly live.
emilkatok

Post by emilkatok »

Yes, It is. A lot of people , young people look for new experiances. Our world is developed very mach. More people haven't got any time to go church. Internet, phones, computers are kind of modern god. We spend free time on watching tv, listening music or playing games. Young people don't want be for example Christian. They think , that it is boring. They don't belive in God. In my opinion it is controversial. At beginig of world people have got different gods. Maybe in future all order on the world will be change.
alexandra

Post by alexandra »

Nowadays more and more people are interested about idols. They follow their profile on facebook, twitter or different websites. They forget about basic items.
I think, fame is only lifestyle by famous people. And we, as normal people, should study about differentiate the most important issue.
For all that, fame isn't a new religion. There hasn't God.
alicjapie

Post by alicjapie »

I also believe that fame isn't a new religion. Religion is associated with God, beliefs, traditions. Nowadays fame is appreciated, but that doesn't mean that it is a new religion.
dariakur

Post by dariakur »

I don't really believe in this, for some people fame might be an important part of life, but people do not pray to celebrities, they just like and admire them.
Tkiewicz

Post by Tkiewicz »

I strongly believe that is true. Not everybody is smart enough to not follow idols, so they need to do this. If someone doesn't have their own opinion, then he/she will believe their idols. Nowadays there is a lot of people, who don't do anything, but everyone knows them.
wojcieszek

Post by wojcieszek »

I think that fame is not a religion. Religion is faith in someone or something. Fame is not only popular belief statement so that fame can be a religion is wrong.
olamro

Post by olamro »

In my opinion fame is like a new religion. I think that, because now people became famous if they wear nice clothes or have a lot of friends. In the past famous person, who was a singer really could sing and nobody looked on his clothes or hairstyle. They were really stars. Now only need to do is record a video, when you do something, it can be even something stupid, but if you are liked, you will be famous.
Klaudyna

Post by Klaudyna »

I think that the fame isn't the new religion because we can talk about reliogion where for exaple a group of people believe in somebody or something who have long since died or does not exist. In my point of view the fame is only a thing by which some peopple can achieve success and earn lots of money. And of course every fame person have their fans, but they love their idols mainly by the fact that they are famous and lot of people talk about them but not for example for their talent.
krozmar

Post by krozmar »

From my point of view, fame is not a new religion. Many people want to be like celebrities dressing up and behaving like them. People have their idols but I do not think that this is something more after the worship.
Wojteeek

Post by Wojteeek »

As far i'm concerd fame isnt new religion because belief and being fascinated are two and diffrent things and they have not common features.
StoKin

Post by StoKin »

In my point of view fame is not a new religion because for most people liking someone for example star is only pastime. For me religion is celebrating God in different ways in different countries.
nicbase

Post by nicbase »

I agree with opinion that fame is a new religion. People used to worship gods, but nowadays it is commonly observed that they worship film stars, sport players and pop singers. I suposse that stars affect for people positively. There is the reason that people idolize stars. It is hard to say if people worship stars and God equal, but I am certain that nowadays fame is more important for lots of people than other issues. They want to achieve their goals, be the best and be known.
OskiDz

Post by OskiDz »

I think that fame is not a new religion. It is something that people want , but this can not be the name of religion. Famous people become heroes for us-ordinary people, but remember that there are a lot of more important things than being popular . Imitating somebody, we become his copy. If you depend on popularity , you have to show something unique , then it will be respected.
aladrelich

Post by aladrelich »

I thinkt fame is new religion, because people are more interested what famous people do, how they act, how they look. In earlier times poeple pray to they God and now they spent more time to know what they favouritve star doing. It is not bad, that you want to more slimillar to somebody or know what they are doing and where thet are buying clothes, but you should know that you have to be yourself! :)
Lucywa

Post by Lucywa »

I think fame is a new religion because sometimes we forget about our life and we are intresting exclusively about famous people . We want become like our idols. We're wearing the same clothes , doing the same things and we're trying to live like stars. We forget about real life. :-?
natalianowak

Post by natalianowak »

I think, that fame is new religion. For example idols have a lot of fans, who can do everything for idols. Fans often forget, that stars are normal like they. People always cheep or faint, when they see someone fabulous. People used to worship gods and their gods are celebrities. They want to be like them and they want to know everything about idols. They also often invent stories about stars like Homer in Ancient Greece about gods.
alicpryl

Post by alicpryl »

I agree that fame is some kind of new religion. Most people want to be famous and recognizable in environment.
People also worship their idols, for example : singers, film stars etc. Most of us forget about the God and faith, most important thing is to imitate celebrities.
dębskidzik

Post by dębskidzik »

For me religion is too strong word. Fame is connect with money and popularity so most of us want to be famous. Is this good? For me when we have some dreams, develop them and we can catch people attention we will be famous. But if we are trying to became famous at all costs It won't be nothing good.
OlaaMej

Post by OlaaMej »

In my opinion fame definitely is the new religion. People are more interested in famous people life than their own lives. Especially teenagers for whom their idols have the status of a god. They can cry and by thrilled by just see that their idol eat or buy something. That's why new generation religion isn't for example catholicism (like in my country) but fame.
KubaKoi

Post by KubaKoi »

I think fame isn't a new religion. In my opinion people who are interested in celebrities don't make them as their gods. Ordinary people just want to be famous but they don't pray for celebrities, they don't build churches for them etc. So for me, fame isn't a new religion. It is something normal that someone is more famous.
justynasta

Post by justynasta »

I think that fame isn't the new religion. Definitely it's too big word. Of course a lot of people worship the famous for exaple they want to live, dress, act like they but for me they only treat them like heroes, not as a god. Some want to be famous. Maybe they need in order to somebody appreciates and admires them. So in my opinion we shouldn't name fame as the new religion, because we can give offence to people who indeed believe in God.
agatawerecka

Post by agatawerecka »

Fame is the new religion, I think Fame is something that many people want to have. It has become something for us what we want and we want to acquire. Celebrities have their own rituals, giving autographs and taking pictures with fans. Everyone will follow the gaining of fame, money and all temporal goods. It has become a religion.
annmadej

Post by annmadej »

I don't think that fame is new religion, i rather think that fame is something that a lot of people want and dream about, fame is new "money" for me, we wont it because we think that we are better people with this.
NaKuzajewska

Post by NaKuzajewska »

I don't think that fame is a new religion, it's definitely too big word. I know that there are a lot of people who really admire famous people. They want to look like them, have the same items and do the same things, just be like them. But I assocciate religion with, for example prayer. Is there anybody who thinks that famous people are like God? Is there anybody who prays to them? I don't thinks so and I hope that fame will never be a religion, because there are more important things in life.
kowalskidzik

Post by kowalskidzik »

Definitely not. I dont even know where it came the idea for such a question. Fame is something that has always occurred and will occur, but surely this is not a religion.
kasgol

Post by kasgol »

I don't think that fame is new religion think that fame is something what a lot of people want. I'm not very believer person but I don't think that we can say that fame is religion.
Adifanstal

Post by Adifanstal »

In my opinion fame is definetely not "a new religion". In addiction to that i think that author of this topic don't even know what is "religion".
Famous people are loved by many of fans, but it doesn't mean that they are gods. It's too big word.
wiktoriasz

Post by wiktoriasz »

I think that fame is not new religion but have an important even the same place in people's life like religion. Society want to bask in glory, have fans and a lot of different profits which fame can give them.The worst thing is that not fame become more desirable but the level of importance to believe in God decreased.
PowerEnglish

Post by PowerEnglish »

Many people see fame as a measure of success, perhaps this is why they respect the A-Listers?
-------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.power-english.co.uk/

For the highest quality British and American English
proofreading and editing services.

-------------------------------------------------------------
zareen

Post by zareen »

I think Fame may b religion only for materialistic likers not for all.Fame is temporary and religion is permenant fact.Fame remains till u r alive.No one will remember you after few days of your death.
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

TalkingPoint wrote:Fame. Is it the new religion? People used to worship god(s); now they worship film stars, sports players, princesses and pop singers. In the past people respected faith, now they respect fame.
Fame has nothing to do with religion... there is a difference (in meaning) between worship and admiration.
kruwik

Post by kruwik »

I think it couldn't be new religion because people have got their own brain. Despite the fact that a lot of them like know the newest gossips and what popular person do in their free time, most of us aren't addicted of this knowledge.
klamolga

Post by klamolga »

I don't think so. Religion is when there is a God and community participation in specific activities. I suppose that fame is the cultural phenomena.