speaking about one's height and weight

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

DVS

speaking about one's height and weight

Post by DVS »

Dear English native speakers,

please help me with one question. When someone is speaking about his height and weight, which sentence structure is more natural for a native speaker?

1. I am 180 cm tall and 78 kg heavy.
2. I am 180 cm tall and I weigh 78 kg.
3. My height is 180 cm and my weight is 78 kg.

Or you can suggest other sentences to describe one's height and weight?

Thank you in advance!
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: speaking about one's height and weight

Post by Joe »

Informal: I'm 180cm and 78kg. :ok:

Formal: I am 180cm in height and 78kg in weight. :ok:
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

3 is also fine, though rather formal:

My height is 180cm and my weight is 78kg. :ok:
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
sueandcat

Post by sueandcat »

Hi DVS,

As well as the answers you've already been given, and depending on where you live and what you need your English for, you might want to bear in mind that British English speakers talk about height in feet and inches, and weight in stones and pounds. Although metric measurements are used in the UK, Imperial measurements are still very common. So you will hear people say, for example, "I'm six feet two" (meaning six feet and two inches). Sometimes the 'feet' will be pronounced as 'foot'. A foot is 12 inches (written 12") and an inch is approximately 2.54 centimetres. So "six feet two" would be written 6' 2" - note that the written abbreviation for 'foot' is ' and for inches it's ".

Regarding weight, you might hear, "I'm nine stone seven" (written as 9st 7lb). The abbreviation for 'stone(s) is 'st' and for 'pounds', it's 'lb'. One stone is equal to 14 pounds (14lb), and there are approximately 2.2lb in a kilogram.

This is starting to sound like a maths lesson and you may already know all this, but it might be helpful for other readers, anyway.

I hope this is helpful.

Sue

PS. In American English, they also tend to use Imperial measurements, but don't, as far as I know use "stones" for weight. they would just say , "I weigh 130lb", or whatever.
http://www.theenglishgrammarblog.com

Teacher of English for 10 years. CELTA and DTLLS qualified. Linguistics and Anthropology graduate.