This is not lost to members of cults...

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

clearwater

This is not lost to members of cults...

Post by clearwater »

Likewise, liking can come about by more superficial means. Attractive people can more easily flirt their way to success in more ventures than the unattractive. This is not lost to members of cults who tell their most attractive members to guide the curious into the next level of indoctrination.

Hi,

Would you rephrase the sentence in blue? I think I understand each word but I have liitle idea about what it means.
Q1: What does "this is not lost to" mean?
Q2: What does "this" refer to? Does it refer to "the advantage of attractive people"?

Thank you!
clearwater

Re: This is not lost to members of cults...

Post by clearwater »

I read the sentence again. I finally understood.
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

It would be nice if you shared your understanding with others. :roll:
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

1: "This is not lost to members of cults who..." means that "Members of cults who..." understand this and do not ignore it.

2: "This" is the idea that "Attractive people can more easily flirt their way to success in more ventures than the unattractive."
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven