Phonetics suggestion

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

thomas

Phonetics suggestion

Post by thomas »

Could any English speaker recommend me the best spelling for an 'invented' word that would be pronounced something like /ˈlɛvɪ/.

As I'm no expert in phonetic symbols, those phonetic symbols are just approximate. The main concern is that the first syllable sounds more like an 'e' instead of an 'ɪ', while the second one is an 'ɪ' or 'iː', instead of an 'aɪ'.

Thanks
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: Phonetics suggestion

Post by Joe »

Can you give a word that it rhymes with? That would help us know exactly what you expect.

In fact you could give two rhyming words: one for the first syllable, another for the second syllable

At the moment, the way you describe it, the permutations are endless.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
thomas

Post by thomas »

Thanks for your reply.

The sound would be something similar to 'heavy'. I had thought of Levie.

What I definately don't want it to sound like is the brand Levi's, in neither of the syllables.
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

Depends a little on which syllable you want stressed in your fictitious word, but it sounds as though you need /ˈlevi/ (levy), as in the British English Macmillan dictionary:
https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dic ... ish/levy_1
which gives you the audio too so you can check.

"Levy" is of course a real word meaning something like a tax.

Feel free to ask again for clarification.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
thomas

Post by thomas »

Joe wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:36 pm Depends a little on which syllable you want stressed in your fictitious word, but it sounds as though you need /ˈlevi/ (levy), as in the British English Macmillan dictionary:
https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dic ... ish/levy_1
which gives you the audio too so you can check.

"Levy" is of course a real word meaning something like a tax.

Feel free to ask again for clarification.
That was the pronunciation I was looking for, thanks. I still have doubts with the first syllable though. Couldn't it be mispronounced as an /i/ or /i:/? Would the spelling levvy make it clearer?
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

Yes, it probably would :ok: And since it's your word you can spell it any way you like :roll: