A question about the TV. show "The Flash"

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

EnglishLover

A question about the TV. show "The Flash"

Post by EnglishLover »

Hi,
In the TV. show "The Flash" EP.01 S.01, and when the detectives went to arrest "Madron" , they say - according to the subtitles:
"I'm not saying Mardon is alive, but if he was, this is the last place him and his brother hid out."
I can't figure out what is meant by this is the last place him and his brother hid out., Is that grammatically correct?
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: A question about the TV. show "The Flash"

Post by Joe »

EnglishLover wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:27 am"I'm not saying Mardon is alive, but if he was, this is the last place him and his brother hid out." :nok:
It's not grammatically correct but many native speakers do speak like that. It should be:

"I'm not saying Mardon is alive, but if he was, this is the last place he and his brother hid out." :ok:
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
EnglishLover

Post by EnglishLover »

Thank you very much, but why "him" instead of "he" ? Is it common to use "him" as a subject?
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

EnglishLover wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:27 amwhy "him" instead of "he"?
The object "him" is not grammatically correct. As a subject of the verb "hide out" it should be "he".
EnglishLover wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:27 amIs it common to use "him" as a subject?
I wouldn't say it's common, but many native speakers do make this mistake. Perhaps they get confused by the presence of "his brother". In the same way that people wrongly say "Me and my wife went out last night", but would never say "Me went out last night".
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
EnglishLover

Post by EnglishLover »

Joe wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:41 am
EnglishLover wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:27 amwhy "him" instead of "he"?
The object "him" is not grammatically correct. As a subject of the verb "hide out" it should be "he".
EnglishLover wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:27 amIs it common to use "him" as a subject?
I wouldn't say it's common, but many native speakers do make this mistake. Perhaps they get confused by the presence of "his brother". In the same way that people wrongly say "Me and my wife went out last night", but would never say "Me went out last night".
Thank you for clarifying the "him" issue, but apart from this, I still think that the correct sentence should be;
I'm not saying Mardon is alive, but if he was, this is the last place him and his brother would hide out in
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

Yes, that is possible grammatically, and maybe the subtitles are just badly translated.

But it's also possible that what he means is that if Mardon is still alive, then we have found their last hiding place (the last place where they hid out).

I don't know what The Flash is or the quality of the production, so you have to decide yourself whether you trust the subtitles.

There are a couple of other little niggles such as "if he was" vs "if he is", but frankly without knowing the full context we could go round in circles for ever on this one.

EnglishLover

Post by EnglishLover »

Joe wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:07 am Yes, that is possible grammatically, and maybe the subtitles are just badly translated.

But it's also possible that what he means is that if Mardon is still alive, then we have found their last hiding place (the last place where they hid out).

I don't know what The Flash is or the quality of the production, so you have to decide yourself whether you trust the subtitles.

There are a couple of other little niggles such as "if he was" vs "if he is", but frankly without knowing the full context we could go round in circles for ever on this one.
Thank you, Joe,
The subtitles fit exactly to the speech.