question, please help, thank you

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

englishmix

question, please help, thank you

Post by englishmix »

Hi I’m sorry for those many questions crammed together. I’ve got a test and I really need to have those questions answered, so please if you can write me the right (or the way native english speaker will utter those sentences) form (and add a very short explanation if possible) – as my English is already pretty good – that would be great and appreciated:
Some sentences are from English learning app, some I invented and some are from English forums etc.

1. if he will /would go there, I will /would leave the room – but I assume it should be if he goes there- I will leave. But I’m not sure why
2. if… we would have [been?] verb (gone, walked away, say something etc)
3. if you want, we can talk at night=we can talk if you will want?
4. now 1 pm, I want to talk at 2 pm. Should I say let’s talk in an hour/after one hour? In an hour sounds to me like could be after 45 minutes, because it’s “in” the hour, true?
5. When he was young, he could touch his toes. – when he was young, he was able to/had been able to/could have --- touch his toes. What are the differences?
6. We had had a wonderful summer together – or 1 had?
7. every moment matter(s?)
8. how to phrase this: I’m part time working, (my job’s scope/extent/workload) , I’m working 80% job
9. how did you sleep / how was your sleeping /had you slept well?
10. That’s exactly what he said about you – why “me” can’t be right?
11. I thought you (would have done/will do\would do anything/everything for me – probably there are a few correct variations. What would be the most natural?
12. Is it ok to say: I am wondering, if we mix orange and lemon, would that be tasty?
13. I could have gone shopping/I could have been shopping if I hadn’t have to stay at home. – what’s the right way?
14. I have been driven a benz for 7 years. I have driven a benz for 7 years/ I am driving a benz for 7 years already
15. Who feedS you every day? OR who feed you every day? And does it matter whether “who” refer to plural or single? (and maybe the correct form is “who is feedING you every day? Which sounds good, but everyday should be present simple)
16. How long does it take from London to Paris? can this sentence be correct without “does” and addition of s to take – how long it takes to get from London to Paris?
17. Where does she live? Where is she living – same meaning except the emphasizing of the “right now” in the second version?
18. Who lives in London? Why there is s in live for plural?
19. He has (he’s) got a good job / he got a good job (has seems so redundant)
20. He has got a new job / he got a new job (I feel it might be different from 19)
21. he has a job he has got a job – is the got necessary?
i don’t have children vs i don’t have got any children
22. I never had bicycle vs I have never had bicycle
23. when to choose: they went already by the time you have gotten (you got?) here. They have gone already (already gone?), by the time you got (you have gotten?) here
24. does “already” forces v3?
25. did they have (why not had?) a nice time in Paris? yes they did (why not yes they had? Even if the question was in “did”)
26. I’ve been waiting for over an hour and the bus still hasn’t come (yet). – why not and the bus didn’t come (yet)
Thanks!
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: question, please help, thank you

Post by Joe »

englishmix wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:53 pm1. if he will /would go there, I will /would leave the room – but I assume it should be if he goes there- I will leave. But I’m not sure why

Yes, first conditional

2. if… we would have [been?] verb (gone, walked away, say something etc)

don't understand

3. if you want, we can talk at night=we can talk if you will want?

we can talk (tonight) if you want
if you want, we can talk (tonight)

4. now 1 pm, I want to talk at 2 pm. Should I say let’s talk in an hour/after one hour? In an hour sounds to me like could be after 45 minutes, because it’s “in” the hour, true?

in an hour mean 2pm

5. When he was young, he could touch his toes. – when he was young, he was able to/had been able to/could have --- touch his toes. What are the differences?

could/was able
no difference (except nobody would say was able)

BUT a man fell in the river and the police were able to save him

6. We had had a wonderful summer together – or 1 had?

1 had

7. every moment matter(s?)

matters

8. how to phrase this: I’m part time working, (my job’s scope/extent/workload) , I’m working 80% job

i'm working part time

9. how did you sleep / how was your sleeping /had you slept well?

how did you sleep
did you sleep well

10. That’s exactly what he said about you – why “me” can’t be right?

said about me is possible

11. I thought you (would have done/will do\would do anything/everything for me – probably there are a few correct variations. What would be the most natural?

would have done / would do anything for me

12. Is it ok to say: I am wondering, if we mix orange and lemon, would that be tasty?

yes

13. I could have gone shopping/I could have been shopping if I hadn’t have to stay at home. – what’s the right way?

I could have gone shopping if I hadn’t had to stay at home

14. I have been driven a benz for 7 years. I have driven a benz for 7 years/ I am driving a benz for 7 years already

I have been driving a benz for 7 years
I have driven a benz for 7 years

15. Who feedS you every day? OR who feed you every day? And does it matter whether “who” refer to plural or single? (and maybe the correct form is “who is feedING you every day? Which sounds good, but everyday should be present simple)

who feeds you every day (singular OR plural)

16. How long does it take from London to Paris? can this sentence be correct without “does” and addition of s to take – how long it takes to get from London to Paris?

no

17. Where does she live? Where is she living – same meaning except the emphasizing of the “right now” in the second version?

correct

18. Who lives in London? Why there is s in live for plural?

pronoun who is treated singular in interrogative like this

BUT

The people who live in London...

19. He has (he’s) got a good job / he got a good job (has seems so redundant)

not really, can be different meaning, eg:
He has got a good job - present
he got a good job - past action (he passed the interview for a good job)

Several possibilities, depends on context.

20. He has got a new job / he got a new job (I feel it might be different from 19)

same comment

21. he has a job he has got a job – is the got necessary?
i don’t have children vs i haven't got any children

got not necessary, but typical British English

22. I never had bicycle vs I have never had bicycle

a bicycle

study past vs present perfect

23. when to choose: they went already by the time you have gotten (you got?) here. They have gone already (already gone?), by the time you got (you have gotten?) here

:?: :?: :?:

24. does “already” forces v3?

yes

25. did they have (why not had?) a nice time in Paris? yes they did (why not yes they had? Even if the question was in “did”)

did is already past tense

26. I’ve been waiting for over an hour and the bus still hasn’t come (yet). – why not and the bus didn’t come (yet)

because it's not English :twisted:
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
englishmix

Post by englishmix »

I appreciate you took the time and patience to answer and I am thankful!

8. I want to mention in an interview that I'm 80% (what to insert here?) I don't work full time. I work part-time but I want the sentence with 80%. e.g: I work 80% of a full-time job.

10. that's what I thought, but an app for English learning marked it as wrong...

13. can you tell me why "I could have been shopping" is wrong?

19. probably the best would be to say: he has a good job (and not: he has got a good job), with identical meaning. ?

22. I never had a bicycle - past perfect. I have never had a bicycle - present perfect. agree?

23. by the time you got here, they have already gone. is it a correct sentence?

26. is it a must or optional to end this sentence with "yet": I’ve been waiting for over an hour and the bus still hasn’t come -yet-?

thanks again!
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

englishmix wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:44 pm8. I want to mention in an interview that I'm 80% (what to insert here?) I don't work full time. I work part-time but I want the sentence with 80%. e.g: I work 80% of a full-time job.

full-time means 100% so what you are asking for is impossible
perhaps you need something like:
i have a full-time job that takes up 80% of my time

10. that's what I thought, but an app for English learning marked it as wrong...

maybe the app is wrong

13. can you tell me why "I could have been shopping" is wrong?

actually it is possible and could be correct depending on the exact context

19. probably the best would be to say: he has a good job (and not: he has got a good job), with identical meaning. ?

both are correct, second is British English

22. I never had a bicycle - past perfect. I have never had a bicycle - present perfect. agree?

I never had a bicycle = past simple. I have never had a bicycle = present perfect

23. by the time you got here, they have already gone. is it a correct sentence?

the first problem is "here". Logically it is more likely to be "there".

by the time you got there, they HAD already gone :ok:

26. is it a must or optional to end this sentence with "yet": I’ve been waiting for over an hour and the bus still hasn’t come -yet-?

optional
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
englishmix

Post by englishmix »

ok i think i got all that. so as your the brits are saying, cheers mate :)