practise English with a native/advanced speaker (urgent)

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

usefuluser

practise English with a native/advanced speaker (urgent)

Post by usefuluser »

Dear forum members,

I live in Turkey and have been invited to attend a job interview for an assistant professor position (Lecturer) at a UK university. The interview is in mid-June. Unfortunately, it has been a while since I practised English with a native/advanced speaker. In order to perform well in the interview, I have to regain my speaking abilities in English. I was just wondering whether is there anyone who would be willing to help or know someone who could help?

Thank you for your reply!

Best wishes
usefuluser
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: practise English with a native/advanced speaker (urgent)

Post by Joe »

I would humbly suggest that even an assistant professor (lecturer) position is well worth engaging the services of:
https://www.englishclub.com/efl/learn-english-online/
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
usefuluser

Post by usefuluser »

Dear Joe,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, due to financial issues, I am unable to afford paid classes. That was the whole point for asking a volunteer member. Otherwise, it is easy to hire a teacher but I can not do this till I sort things out. Regards, usefuluser
Firefox
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Firefox »

Are you serious, uselessuser? You want to interview for a UK university lecturer position and you can't cough up a few bucks to help yourself? You do know how much university lecturers get paid, right? I guess you're destined to be "only" an assistant professor for life. The rest of us just have to carry on living in the real world, without all the benefits of universitydom :twisted:
usefuluser

Post by usefuluser »

Firefox:

I suppose this platform has not been created to judge people or argue with them. I have asked for help in a polite manner given my circumstances. Please keep your biased thoughts to yourself and I am sure that nobody wants to hear your prejudices.
Firefox
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Firefox »

It's true you did ask in a polite manner and perhaps I was too hasty. It's just that in a case like this you would be expected to "pull out all the stops". Anyway, I wish you well in your interview. I trust it will be in Turkey, or that the airline will be sympathetic.
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

You could try joining at:
https://www.myenglishclub.com/

They have a Skype group there.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
usefuluser

Post by usefuluser »

Firefox:

No problem. I understand your point of view. However, I think it is beyond your imagination to guess bumps I have been through in the last few years. So please do not judge people before you know enough details. For your information: the interview will be in London and the inviting company/university always pays for flights and accommodation. Wish you best!
usefuluser

Post by usefuluser »

Dear Joe,

Thank you very much. I will try my chance. Wish you best!
Firefox
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Firefox »

I'm sorry Useful. I probably overreacted. But from the level of English that you exhibit in your writing I'm sure you will have no problem in your interview, at least nothing that a quick chat with the London cabbie in your trip from Heathrow won't fix :)