Help please for a Chinese English teacher

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

gerry

Help please for a Chinese English teacher

Post by gerry »

A Chinese friend of mine who teaches English to University graduates and who has an extremely good understanding of English grammar rules asked me to comment on the two (unconnected) sentences -

"When looking at the systran output as a whole, it was largely easy to understand with mostly correct translations throughout"
and
"Having compared two different methodologies of machine translation, it is clear that each produces very different outputs and also have their own obstacles to overcome".

Her understanding of grammar is informing her that something is wrong, that an 'agent' (presumably she means a subject) is required in each sentence, possibly the second part of each sentence.

My grammar skills are basic at best, but as far as I can see the sentence structure is OK, Am I right? If so, would anyone know what rules are being applied here to make them correct, because she'd be very keen to update her understanding of the rules.. If the sentences are indeed incorrect, then can you explain why please so we can both learn!

Many thanks
Firefox
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Help please for a Chinese English teacher

Post by Firefox »

gerry wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:14 pm A Chinese friend of mine who teaches English to University graduates and who has an extremely good understanding of English grammar rules asked me to comment on the two (unconnected) sentences -

"When looking at the systran output as a whole, it was largely easy to understand with mostly correct translations throughout"
and
"Having compared two different methodologies of machine translation, it is clear that each produces very different outputs and also have their own obstacles to overcome".

Her understanding of grammar is informing her that something is wrong, that an 'agent' (presumably she means a subject) is required in each sentence, possibly the second part of each sentence.

My grammar skills are basic at best, but as far as I can see the sentence structure is OK, Am I right? If so, would anyone know what rules are being applied here to make them correct, because she'd be very keen to update her understanding of the rules.. If the sentences are indeed incorrect, then can you explain why please so we can both learn!

Many thanks
To me both structures are essentially ok but the second sentence has an error - corrected in red below:

Having compared two different methodologies of machine translation, it is clear that each produces very different outputs and also has its own obstacles to overcome.
jiyakhattak
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jiyakhattak »

gerry wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:14 pm A Chinese friend of mine who teaches English to University graduates and who has an extremely good understanding of English grammar rules asked me to comment on the two (unconnected) sentences -

and

Many thanks
YOUR FIRST SENTENCE IS RIGHT BUT THE SECOND ONE IS NOT CORRECT
jiyakhattak
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jiyakhattak »

Firefox wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:22 am

and

Many thanks
To me both structures are essentially ok but the second sentence has an error - corrected in red below:

Having compared two different methodologies of machine translation, it is clear that each produces very different outputs and also has its own obstacles to overcome.
I ALSO AGREE WITH U R ANSWER
gerry

Post by gerry »

Thank you both for taking the trouble to reply; your comments have indeed helped. However I'm embarrassed that I didn't spot the error you highlighted, a major fail on my part!
Your responses will be passed on to my friend, who I know will appreciate them and will be used to inform her learning.