Please give me tips to improve my English speaking

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

Dhruv

Please give me tips to improve my English speaking

Post by Dhruv »

Hi, guys, I am an Indian that is currently living in Canada and i have given the CELPIP test uncountable times and I always fail in speaking can you please give me some tips to improve my English speaking so I can pass and help my Kids live in a clean environment
Mohsen
Top Contributor
Top Contributor
Location: No.7,Charso lane,walk down,You’ll arrive to the garden of sense,Naghshejahan square,Esfahan,Iran

Re: Please give me tips to improve my English speaking

Post by Mohsen »

Dhruv wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:43 am Hi, guys, I am an Indian that is currently living in Canada and i have given the CELPIP test uncountable times and I always fail in speaking can you please give me some tips to improve my English speaking so I can pass and help my Kids live in a clean environment
read a conversion and tell it to yourself , you can record it by your cellphone .
read a story and retell it .
it can help you

Mustafa Mohseni Isfahani
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

hello,
Generally our native language influence so much the pronunciation of English and the way we build the structure of words ,because our mind is already setted to pronounce and compounds letters and words in a specific way and tonation .But by practicing this problem could be overcame .the point is that one should be conscious of his pronunciation and speaking ,yes abvious but not easy because your mind is approving your pronunciation and words structure since it's considered similar to your native ones.
For the pricatical side, a good English speaking is preceeded by an English listening,try to listen a lot to English conversation ,news ,movies ...even if it's unconfortable in the beginin .Also try to speak to yourself in english :shock: and record yourself
good luck

phoenix 11/10/2019
patron
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by patron »

Hello,
I am assuming you need CELPIP General for a PR card. To pass this test you first of all have to have a reasonable knowledge of English grammar. If your basic knowledge of English is poor then you will only get a low score on CELPIP. Improving your English is the first thing you must work at. Secondly, you should just practice the CELPIP speaking tasks over and over again using their given tasks and time limits.Here are some general tips for passing CELPIP speaking:

1. Find a volunteer to speak with. Contact your local immigrant settlement centre to help you find someone. They could also go over the practice CELPIP test that they offer free online. Some volunteers may also offer to make up practice tests for you.

2. Listen to and speak as often as you can in public.

3.When you practice your CELPIP speaking have someone make a note of your common English errors and keep these in a note pad. Also, use your cellphone to record your voice and play it back to listen for mistakes and voice.

4.YouTube has lots of CELPIP videos you can use for practice. Also, for the speaking tasks with pictures just google images for
each picture task ,and it will produce lots of them for you to practice speaking about.

5 CELPIP states that they do not take points off for having an accent. However, they will if your pronunciation is very poor.

6. When you try the speaking tasks on CELPIP start by being general then speak about the specifics with lots of examples.
Use a good introduction and conclusion if appropriate.

7. For the test watch the clock as you will lose marks for going under the time or for not finishing.

8. Be loud, but not too loud. Make sure your voice has a good tone, rhythm and speed. Use sentence stress and word stress appropriately.(EnglishClub has a good section on this).

9. Be relaxed and make sure you read the task question very carefully.

10. Use a variety of words and grammar structures. If you can add idioms, phrasal verbs, conditionals, and other sophisticated forms of grammar.

I hope that helps.
robinsak

Post by robinsak »

I would recommend practice pratctice and practice . You can try CELPIP & IELTS tests preparation platform, I recommend www.allmock.com. It offers practice tests and study tools designed to enhance your understanding and boost your confidence. Dive in to give your preparation an edge."
Mr Greg
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Mr Greg »

Surround yourself in the language. Watch as many shows as possible and try to interact with others, whether it is in-person or online.
polinkuer

Post by polinkuer »

There are several strategies that can help improve English speaking ability:

Practice speaking regularly: The more you practice speaking English, the more comfortable and fluent you will become. Try to find opportunities to speak English with native speakers or language exchange partners.

Listen to native speakers: Listening to native English speakers can help improve your pronunciation, intonation, and overall speaking skills. Watch movies, TV shows, or listen to podcasts in English to expose yourself to natural conversation.

Expand your vocabulary: Enhance your vocabulary by learning new words and phrases. Use flashcards, vocabulary apps, or read books in English to improve your understanding and usage of words.