Help with similar words in english

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Christin

Help with similar words in english

Post by Christin »

Hello everyone, I'm not sure with the following words,synonyms. I was wondering if these pairs of the words have the same meaning whatever I use any of them. I usually use only one of them which I know but then I come across the other meaning and that' s the word I don't know. I've just look up some of them in dictionary, but I'm not sure if the meaning is the same.
Thank in advance for help.

1) appraise = assess
2) get on = do well
3) endorse = approve
4) justly = justifiably
5) operate = run
6) vocational = professional
7) claim = entitlement
8) notion = conception
9) brochure = handbill
10) acclaim = praise
11) facilities = amenities
patron
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Help with similar words in english

Post by patron »

In English, many words can have different meanings in different contexts or situations. One quick way to search for the difference in meaning between two words is to do a google search.

For example, to find the difference in meaning between appraise and assess just search for "appraise Vs assess" and there will usually be an instant comparison at the top of the page and plenty of other sites to look at.

You can also use a website e.g https://wikidiff.com/appraise/assess

The best way to learn the subtle differences between synonyms and other words is to research them and then try to use them.
Christin

Post by Christin »

Thanks for explaining but I was wondering these particular words..I can look up the meaning but how can I know which particular word is used by a native speakers? Because there are many various meanings and I'm sure that the native speaker will use only one of them..
patron
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by patron »

Hello Christin,

I understand your confusion. Synonyms like run and operate etc are often used interchangeably by most native English speakers depending on who they are, where they are, and according to their own specific range of vocabulary.

I don't think there is any rule or trick to distinguish between these types of words. When to use one word or another comes from having a basic meaning of each word which can be obtained from a good dictionary and by checking to see how the words are used in sentences. Most of all, how you use the words comes from experience and practice of using the language.

When you compare two synonyms, try to observe where they are being used ( the situation ) and who is using them. For example ,if you look at run and operate then operate might be used by a technician or a mechanic to describe how they use a complicated machine (= more technical = more formal) ). In comparison , a person in a factory might use the word "run" to describe how they operate a very simple machine . Of course, in real life either word could be used without a loss of meaning.

In summary, to fully understand the differences in meaning take the following steps;

1. Use a regular or collocation dictionary to look up the true meaning of each word.
2. Try to see how each word is used in speech, writing and in everyday life.
3. Look at the situation in which the word is used and who is using it.
4. Be prepared to accept that regular/ average users of English will use any synonyms in interchangeably without any loss of meaning.

The process of using these steps will force you to learn words as dynamic things. {-:
rotan

Post by rotan »

I'm not a native speaker, but I still see slight differences between those (I think).
If mistaken, I would appreciate being corrected as well! ;-)

1. appraise - assess
I feel like "appraise" is more... em... official/serious/formal
You pick the word for that :-D

2. get on - do well
For me, "get on" means to achieve a single thing (in working life for example; succeeding with a project or something), while "doing well" means simply being successful in general; healthy, exhilarated, financially settled(?), staying out of trouble etc.

3. endorse vs approve
Same as "appraise" and "assess"; for me "approve" is an official way of agreeing on something

4. justly - justifiably
I gotta be honest, I can't see the difference between these two

5. operate - run
I think "operate" means to learn how to use a thing or how it works, and "run" means being functional, not broken etc.

6. vocational - professional
"vocational" fits working environment better, it means becoming professional by attending an institute, coaching etc., which prepares you specificially for your potential future job
I believe "professional" can be used in any context

7. claim - entitlement
I guess "claim" is a right you have, but you need to try to get it (like meeting your children after a divorce) while "entitlement" is a right you don't need to fight or argue for, like a right to vote
(I'm not sure about this one though :-D )

8. notion - conception
I reckon "conception" is better for describing temporary, and maybe less serious ideas or plans
For example, with describing one's life I would say "He doesn't have a notion about his life.", not "He doesn't have a conception about his life."

9. brochure - handbill
A brochure is a handbill technically, but it's folded multiple times, and an actual handbill is mostly a single piece of paper

acclaim - praise
I feel like you acclaim someone specificially for things they do (mainly in public), and you praise someone just the way they are, with no specific reason

11. facilities - amenities
Again, I don't see any difference
patron
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by patron »

Hello roten,
I will try to help you a bit later. {-: unless someone else helps in the meantime.
rotan

Post by rotan »

patron wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:02 pm Hello roten,
I will try to help you a bit later. {-: unless someone else helps in the meantime.
I'm already looking forward to it!
patron
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by patron »

I have posted my answers to the list of words you posted earlier. One other piece of advice is to remember that you can't compare words that have different form e.g acclaim is both a noun and a verb and as a verb it is often used in its past tense form e.g acclaimed.
The post heading is HELP WITH SIMILAR WORDS IN ENGLISH ANSWERS POSTED ON 26TH MAY