Grammar: Use of the indefinite article in English

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Noface

Grammar: Use of the indefinite article in English

Post by Noface »

This is my first post. And I am very new to this forum. So I hope I am posting it in the right place.

So here’s a sentence, about the use of the indefinite article, that goes:
Use the with names of geographical areas, rivers, mountain ranges, groups of islands, canals, and oceans.

Why is it not phrased as “Use the with the names of geographical areas, rivers, mountain ranges, groups of islands, canals, and oceans.”?

I justify myself with the idea that the example does not just say, “use the with names.” Rather, it specifies the noun names with ...of geographical areas, rivers, mountain ranges, groups of islands, canals, and oceans.

What I mean is, it doesn’t just say names but names of geographical areas. Because we are talking about specific names, shouldn’t we use the?
patron
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Grammar: Use of the indefinite article in English

Post by patron »

if you go to this website https://www.usingenglish.com/ and search for "the use of articles before of-phrases" it may help you.
Noface

Post by Noface »

Thank you! (:
patron
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by patron »

Did it help?
Firefox
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Firefox »

Noface wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:53 pm This is my first post. And I am very new to this forum. So I hope I am posting it in the right place.

Use the with names of geographical areas, rivers, mountain ranges, groups of islands, canals, and oceans.

Why is it not phrased as “Use the with the names of geographical areas, rivers, mountain ranges, groups of islands, canals, and oceans.”?

I justify myself with the idea that the example does not just say, “use the with names.” Rather, it specifies the noun names with ...of geographical areas, rivers, mountain ranges, groups of islands, canals, and oceans.

What I mean is, it doesn’t just say names but names of geographical areas. Because we are talking about specific names, shouldn’t we use the?
You could also check out the ZERO article on EnglishClub:
https://www.englishclub.com/grammar/det ... rticle.htm

I think the very first case on that page counts: Use zero article with plural nouns and general meaning (in your example, "names").
Noface

Post by Noface »

patron wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:09 pmDid it help?
Yes, it kinda did:)
Noface

Post by Noface »

Firefox wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:26 am
Noface wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:53 pm This is my first post. And I am very new to this forum. So I hope I am posting it in the right place.

You could also check out the ZERO article on EnglishClub:
https://www.englishclub.com/grammar/det ... rticle.htm

I think the very first case on that page counts: Use zero article with plural nouns and general meaning (in your example, "names").
Thank you. I’ll check this out.