Tips for Listening

Ideas and advice from EC members on best ways to learn English

Moderators: Krisi, Vega, EC

RachRam

Re: Tips for Listening

Post by RachRam » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:35 am

Hello there,
Hope you are doing well. I highly recommend this application in case you are trying to improve your listening! The application uses a text to speech algorithm which helps you to listen to everything and hence even improving your pronunciations. Download now:
Listen'em-Play News on the go! - Android Apps on Google Play
Listen 'em on the App Store
Get the benefit of:
1. Improving your listening
2. Stay updated with the latest news
3. Stay tuned to the Vocabulary channel
4. Listen anytime, anywhere
5. Download while you are connected to the internet and listen at a later time.
Note: Best to download the application while you are connected to the wifi , as it takes time for the initial download of the application.

Reetagms

Re:

Post by Reetagms » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:31 am

passionatelo wrote:Hi friends,

To me listening skill is extremely difficult. And I think that hard-working is still the solution. But I wonder of the method to practise listening skill efficiently. There are two people who told me two tips.
:roll: One said that I haven't to read the paragraph in textbook before listening, I have to try to listen and from obtained words I'll guess the whole meaning of the sentence.

:roll: The other said to me that I should read the text before or together with listening because there're usually some new words in the paragraph what make listening skill to be difficult.

So which method is better, which method should I choose? Or should I combine two methods? :?:

Thank you so much!
try second method for start up note and then apply second method it makes sense.

ahmedmorocco

Re:

Post by ahmedmorocco » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:57 pm

justinlan wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:54 am
but how to improve listening efficiently :?
Simply, you listen a native speaker

tv News, movies, song etc
Impossible is Nothing

BloomingMarvelous

Post by BloomingMarvelous » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:16 pm

There are some fun suggestions and tips on this blog post on how to improve your listening skills! through pdocasts.

There are also links to podcasts to save time searching :-D

Eulalia

Post by Eulalia » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:54 am

I fully support a listening podcasts idea! Also, I think that youtube channels work perfectly because this content isn’t boring and too much official. Studying physics in college I prefer to watch highly specialized channels like Flipping Physics. I learn English in this way and it helps to complete my homework assignments so, I can kill two birds with one stone :-)
I use homework tips from this academic blog https://assignment.essayshark.com/physics-help Assignment.Essayshark is my quick fix

justoneplay

Post by justoneplay » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:16 am

Hi!
About listening, it works perfectly for me "shadowing”, there are many videos on YouTube, also I have CDs in my car and while I am driving to work I listen and shadow the listening.
Also reading aloud has worked for me, speaking in front of a mirror also is a good technique. What is difficult for me are the “collocations”, as I am not living in an English speaking country.
Repetitions are excellent too, you listen, and pause the video and repeat what the person said, try to imitate all sounds…there is this internet site: VOA Special English….excellent.
Well Good luck!
"Education is not the learning of facts,but the training of the mind to think."
Albert Einstein