What does "hands of the gods" mean here?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Junshan

What does "hands of the gods" mean here?

Post by Junshan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:11 am

Hi Joe, may I ask you another question about The Chapel?
It is about Ravi's funeral. "Some of them were convinced that they could see in Ravi's death the hands of the gods - and they pointed for evidence to the grey sky and the unseasonal rain."
I am a little confused about what "the hands of the gods" mean here. Does it relate to some Hindu legends? Or does it mean Ravi's death have some relation to gods?

Firefox
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: What does "hands of the gods" mean here?

Post by Firefox » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:22 pm

Junshan wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:11 am
It is about Ravi's funeral. "Some of them were convinced that they could see in Ravi's death the hands of the gods - and they pointed for evidence to the grey sky and the unseasonal rain."
I am a little confused about what "the hands of the gods" mean here. Does it relate to some Hindu legends? Or does it mean Ravi's death have some relation to gods?
Expressions like "the hands of the gods" or "the hand of God" do not relate to any specific religion (though I believe the religion in this case happens to be Hindu). When we see somebody's hand in something, it means we believe they are responsible for it, they made it happen, often secretly and mysteriously. Here it's the gods, but it can be a person:

We think we see the prime minister's hand in the police chief's resignation.

In the story, some people ("some of them", probably the more religious people) were certain that the gods engineered the death of Ravi, presumably as heavenly retribution for his sin :-(

Junshan

Re: What does "hands of the gods" mean here?

Post by Junshan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:34 am

Firefox wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:22 pm
Junshan wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:11 am
Expressions like "the hands of the gods" or "the hand of God" do not relate to any specific religion (though I believe the religion in this case happens to be Hindu). When we see somebody's hand in something, it means we believe they are responsible for it, they made it happen, often secretly and mysteriously. Here it's the gods, but it can be a person:

We think we see the prime minister's hand in the police chief's resignation.

In the story, some people ("some of them", probably the more religious people) were certain that the gods engineered the death of Ravi, presumably as heavenly retribution for his sin :-(
Thank you Firefox!! :-D :-D